Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ls -l column headings
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers ls -l column headings Post 302132848 by psiva_arul on Monday 20th of August 2007 11:02:53 AM
Old 08-20-2007
If you issued the ls -l command it will list out the all files and DIR in the root.

ls -l command will display the below result

total 136
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jun 5 15:16 bin
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Jul 9 15:25 boot
drwxr-xr-x 9 root root 3240 Jul 17 20:08 dev
drwxr-xr-x 40 root root 4096 Aug 14 16:51 etc

1st column is --> file type(DIR/Files) and access details for UGO (User Group Others).
2nd column is --> position of the file/dir and Name of the Root (2,9)
3rd Column is --> Name of the Root and file located path (root)
4th Column is --> - do-- (i am not sure)
5th Column is Size of the file and Dir (4096 )
6th Column is (Timestamp)Date and time of file / DIR created. (Aug 14 16:51
7th Column is File Directory name (dev,boot)

Let me know if you need any details

Regards,
Siva.P
Bangalore

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk to convert text files with recurring headings to rows and colum

I have many text file reports generated by a Information Assurance tool that I need to get into a .CSV format or Excel tab delimited format. I want to use sed or awk to grab all the information in the sample text file below and create column headings:Risk ID, Risk Level, Category, Description, How... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bjoeboo
5 Replies

2. AIX

split a filename and print to 2 different headings

I need help to split a filename 'a0crk_user:A0-B0123$#%test' into a0crk_user and A0-B0123 and print the output under 2 different columns namely User and Status. for eg. the output should like below: User Status ---- ------ a0crk_user A0-B0123 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed (or similar) to rename variable headings

Hello, I'm rather new to the world of regular expressions and sed, though am excited by its possibilities. I have a particular task I'd like to achieve, and have googled the topic quite a bit. However, having found some codes that perform a task very similar to what I'd like to do, I can't for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: redseventyseven
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing one column of delimited file column to fixed width column

Hi, Iam new to unix. I have one input file . Input file : ID1~Name1~Place1 ID2~Name2~Place2 ID3~Name3~Place3 I need output such that only first column should change to fixed width column of 15 characters of length. Output File: ID1<<12 spaces>>Name1~Place1 ID2<<12... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: manneni prakash
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help needed with adding column headings in syslog report

Hi all, I need your help in adding column headings in the below report. The headings I want are: Count - Host - Message Type The command used to create the report is as follows: for messages in `cat syslog_message_list.txt` do grep $messages syslog.`date +%d%m%y`.log | awk '{print $4 " " "... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: wthomas
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match column 3 in file1 to column 1 in file 2 and replace with column 2 from file2

Match column 3 in file1 to column 1 in file 2 and replace with column 2 from file2 file 1 sample SNDK 80004C101 AT XLNX 983919101 BB NETL 64118B100 BS AMD 007903107 CC KLAC 482480100 DC TER 880770102 KATS ATHR 04743P108 KATS... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rydz00
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sort by keeping the headings intact?

Hi all, I have a file with 3 columns separated by space. Each column has a heading. I want to sort according to the values in the 2nd column (ascending order). Ex. Name rank direction goory 0.05 --+ laby 0.0006 --- namy 0.31 -+- ....etc. Output should be Name rank direction laby... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove the headings

HI I am executing faloowing commands. mr batch_1 > my_temp.txt ; mr batch_2 >>my_temp.txt; mr batch_3 >> my_temp.txt; mr batch_4 >> my_temp.txt; and the out put file is as this cat my_temp.txt Machine Name Max Load Current Load Factor O/S Status... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ptappeta
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference of the same column when two other column matches and one column differs less than 1 hour

This is my input file : # cat list 20130430121600, cucm, location,76,2 20130430121600,cucm1,location1,76,4 20130430122000,cucm,location,80,8 20130430122000,cucm1,location1,90,8 20130430140000,cucm1,location1,87,11 20130430140000, cucm,location,67,9 This is the required output ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lakshmikumari
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk command on report with headings

Hi all, I have a report that looks like this: ------------------------------------------------- -- AOC - XXXXXXX -- ------------------------------------------------- Thread Last Sequence Received Last Sequence Applied Difference ----------... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: cougartrace
12 Replies
SWITCH_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						    SWITCH_ROOT(8)

NAME
switch_root - switch to another filesystem as the root of the mount tree SYNOPSIS
switch_root [-hV] switch_root newroot init [arg...] DESCRIPTION
switch_root moves already mounted /proc, /dev, /sys and /run to newroot and makes newroot the new root filesystem and starts init process. WARNING: switch_root removes recursively all files and directories on the current root filesystem. OPTIONS
-h, --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. RETURN VALUE
switch_root returns 0 on success and 1 on failure. NOTES
switch_root will fail to function if newroot is not the root of a mount. If you want to switch root into a directory that does not meet this requirement then you can first use a bind-mounting trick to turn any directory into a mount point: mount --bind $DIR $DIR SEE ALSO
chroot(2), init(8), mkinitrd(8), mount(8) AUTHORS
Peter Jones <pjones@redhat.com> Jeremy Katz <katzj@redhat.com> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> AVAILABILITY
The switch_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2009 SWITCH_ROOT(8)