Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to Run a shell script from Perl script in Parent shell? Post 302132025 by hifake on Tuesday 14th of August 2007 09:46:57 PM
Old 08-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahuna
Try ksh instead of sh
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

Tried this...It does nto help. Still same error.

Any other option? Even if you are more than 50% sure please reply. It doesn't hurt trying.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

returning to the parent shell after invoking a script within a script

Hi everybody, I have a script in which I'm invoking another script which runs in a subshell. after the script is executed I want to return to the parent shell as some variables are set. However i'm unable to return to my original shell as the script which i'm calling inside is invoked in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gurukottur
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help need to make a shell script run for ffmpeg vhook watermaking in shell

i have a small problem getting a batxh shell script to run in shell this is the code the problem seems to be centered around the ffmpeg command, something maybe to do with the ' ' wrapping around the vhook part command this is a strange problem , if i take the ffmpeg command and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wingchun22
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run perl code within a shell script...?

Hi, I have a sheel script that invokes a perl script...Now, instead havin the perl script as a separate file I'd like put the contents in the sheel script itself...But I am not sure how ro run that perl script contents.please help me Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijay_0209
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run cmds after changing to a new env (shell) in a shell script

Hi, I am using HP-UNIX. I have a requirement as below I have to change env twice like: cadenv <env> cadenv <env> ccm start -d /dbpath ccm tar -xvf *.tar ccm rcv .... mv *.tar BACKUP but after I do the first cadenv <env> , I am unable to execute any of the later commands . ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: charlei
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill a process from parent shell within a shell script

Hi, I am looking for a solution for the following problem: Im Using tcpdump within a shellskript started in a subshell by using brackets: ( /usr/sbin/tcpdump -i ... -c 1 ) - I want the outout of tcpdump saved in a variable - Than tcpdump-Process in the Subshell should be killed - and I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: 2retti
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl script to check if empty files are created and delete them and run a shell script

I have a local linux machine in which the files are dumped by a remote ubuntu server. If the process in remote server has any problem then empty files are created in local machine. Is there any way using perl script to check if the empty files are being created and delete them and then run a shell... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hussa1n
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run shell script on different machine using perl script

I want to execute my shell script on remote machine using SSH in perl script. Please help me with syntax. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: james1988
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

To run a local shell script in a remote machine by passing arguments to the local shell script

I need to run a local shell script on a remote machine. I am able to achieve that by executing the command > ssh -qtt user@host < test.sh However, when I try to pass arguments to test.sh it fails. Any pointers would be appreciated. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl program to run a Shell script issues...

Hi all, I have the following Perl script which is intended to run a Shell script and generate some logging for the purposes of tracking weather or not the script ran. I get an error, of course, since I don't know what I'm doing really. Here is the code: #!/opt/perl/bin/perl -w ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: zixzix01
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl

Linux System having all Perl, Python, PHP (and Ruby) installed From a Shell script, can call a Perl, Python, PHP (or Ruby ?) file eg eg a Shell script run in a case statement call to run a php file, also Perl or/and Python file??? Like #!/usr/bin/bash .... .... case $INPUT_STRING... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hoyanet
1 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)