Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Telnet Session to AIX
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Telnet Session to AIX Post 302130732 by porter on Tuesday 7th of August 2007 03:19:29 PM
Old 08-07-2007
One common reason is that when the telnet server receives the connection it does a remote name lookup.

Check that the AIX box can resolve the IP address of your client machine using

Code:
nslookup ip-address

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

telnet session timeout

hi, we can set something such that if the user has been idle for a while, it will auto disconnect. where to do so? thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Telnet session does not expire

Dear friends.. Our project has a module that runs on handheld devices. Through the handheld we telnet to solaris where the application actually runs. I noticed that after starting a session through the handheld, if i go out of range or if i remove and replace the battery in the handheld, the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deepsteptom
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Telnet Session

{ sleep 2 echo "$user" sleep 2 echo "$password" sleep 2 echo " ls" sleep 10 echo "exit" }| telnet $server I have a machine x and i have executed the above script on machine 'x'. i entered the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pathanjalireddy
6 Replies

4. IP Networking

intercept the ip address of a telnet session

The situation: a Unix system (UnixWare 7.1.3) to which are connected other systems; various p.c. on the LAN that they connect Unix to the system via TelNet. The problem: I need to intercept the address IP of the p.cs. connected via telnet to the Unix system. Particularly, I have to know the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paololrp
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

check for successfull telnet session

In either case using ksh or tcl, how can I check that I have a successfule telnet session and am being prompted with a tacacs login prompt ? :confused: DOIT () { sleep 2 echo "<tacacs name >" sleep 1 echo "<password>" echo "en" sleep 1 echo "<enable password>" echo "term length 512"... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumguy
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Telnet session

Hi Is there any way whilst in a telnet session you can view your client machine name that you are using to connect to the Unix box ? :eek: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlucas
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Disconnecting a telnet session

How can I disconnect an existing telnet session? The host is a serial port server with multiple ports. The users login using the host's name and a port, i.e. telnet host01 1235. Thanks. (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: cooldude
14 Replies

8. HP-UX

ssh session getting hung (smilar to hpux telnet session is getting hung after about 15 minutes)

Our network administrators implemented some sort of check to kill idle sessions and now burden is on us to run some sort of keep alive. Client based keep alive doesn't do a very good job. I have same issue with ssh. Does solution 2 provided above apply for ssh sessions also? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoda9691
1 Replies

9. AIX

AIX 5.3 : Limitation to 1 telnet session for some users

Hi, I search the way to limit, for a group on a AIX 5.3, one telnet session by user (Simultaneous). I search a lot in /etc/security but the only way found is with the pam authentication that i not use. No solution found also in smit menu... Thanks for your help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: feilong
2 Replies
rlogind(8c)															       rlogind(8c)

Name
       rlogind - remote login server

Syntax
       /etc/rlogind

Description
       The server is used for the program.  The server provides a remote login facility with authentication based on privileged port numbers.

The  server is invoked by when it receives a connection on the port indicated in the login service specification.  For further information,
       see When a service request is received, the following protocol is initiated:

1.  The server checks the client's source port.	If the port is not in the range 0-1023, the server aborts the connection.

2.  The server checks the client's source address and requests the corresponding host name.  If the hostname cannot be determined, the dot-
	   notation representation of the host address is used.

Once  the source port and address have been checked, allocates a pseudo terminal and manipulates file descriptors so that the slave half of
       the pseudo terminal becomes the stdin, stdout, and stderr for a login process.  For further information, see

The login process is an instance of the program, invoked with the option.  The login process then proceeds with the authentication  process
       as described in but if automatic authentication fails, it reprompts the user to log in on a standard terminal line.

The  parent of the login process manipulates the master side of the pseudo terminal, operating as an intermediary between the login process
       and the client instance of the program.	In normal operation, the packet protocol described in is invoked to provide ^S/^Q type	facilities
       and propagate interrupt signals to the remote programs.	The login process propagates the client terminal's baud rate and terminal type, as
       found in the environment variable, TERM.  For further information see

The screen or window size of the terminal is requested from the client, and any changes in the window size from the client are sent to  the
       pseudo terminal.

Restrictions
       The authentication procedure used here assumes the integrity of each client machine and the connecting medium.  This is insecure, but it is
       useful in an open environment.

Diagnostics
       All diagnostic messages are returned on the connection associated with the stderr, after which any  network  connections  are  closed.	An
       error is indicated by a leading byte with a value of 1.

Hostname for your address unknown
       No entry in the host name database existed for the client's machine.

Try again
       A fork by the server failed.

/bin/sh: ...
       The user's login shell could not be started.

See Also
       rlogin(1c), inetd(8c)

rlogind(8c)