Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cloned drive won't boot ?
Operating Systems Solaris Cloned drive won't boot ? Post 302130707 by HikerLT on Tuesday 7th of August 2007 12:08:32 PM
Old 08-07-2007
I'll do a search, but after cloning, how do I reinstall the "boot block".....?

Thanks for the help and advice....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris (9) won't boot!

Hi, I've just bought an Ultra 60 running solaris 9 (or so I've been led to believe). When I start up, it looks for a (presumably) domain/network to hook up to and the following messages are displayed: Boot device: net file and args: Network link setup failed Please check cable and try... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alarmcall
3 Replies

2. AIX

server won't boot

Hi all , i was trying to upgrade firmware on machine 7028-6E4 and it failed . Now machine does not boot anymore , i can not get SMC menu either ... What are my options ? Thanks, Rahim (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rahim
1 Replies

3. Solaris

nfsd won't start at boot up

Hi Inexplicably, nfsd no longer starts automatically on our Sun boxes running Solaris 9, so that 'automount' no longer functions automatically. The problem first manifested itself when we could not access files on any of the nfs automounted directories in our LAN after one of the servers (say... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: dcshungu
19 Replies

4. Solaris

cannot find boot device and won't boot off cdrom

I'm running solaris 2.5.1. My main development server is DEAD, i can't even boot off the cdrom, it powers up, acts like it is starting the boot process but then says cannot find boot device. I've done the search here on this site and saw the other posts, but at the ok prompt it won't even let me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Ultra 60 won't boot

I just was given an Ultra 60 that I'm trying to get started so that I can re-load the system with Solaris 10. I can't seem to get the system to boot past the initial memory check. I've tried to do an Stop-A to get to the eeprom, but can't do that. My next step is to try to send a break from the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zosojohnny
0 Replies

6. Ubuntu

External Hard drive won't mount

i have a Simple Tech hard drive that i use between two computers. it is formatted to ntfs. i have a dell desktop with Ubuntu 7.10 and Ubuntu 8.04 and Windows XP Home. and i have a laptop with Ubuntu 7.10 and Ubuntu 8.04. the laptop recognizes the hard drive on both 8.04 and 7.10 but my desktop... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Texasone
9 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux won't boot

I'm trying to install Fedora 9 on a Dell OptiPlex GX300 machine. The instalation runs properly, but when the computer restarts after the instalation, it simply won't boot, like there's no OS installed. I tried diffrent Linux distributions, but nothing works. This are the partitions, maybe it's... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: teis
12 Replies

8. AIX

won't mount /usr...won't boot fully

Hello: NOOB here. I attempted to use smit mkcd. Failed on first attempt, not enough space. 2nd attempt tried to place iso on /usr, not enough space there. Cleanup ran for about 5 minutes after aborting. Now AIX won't boot. LCD display on 7029-6E3 says: 0517 MOUNT /USR. Attempted to boot from CD... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bbird
11 Replies

9. SCO

SCO UNIX Won't Boot

Our system is not booting up properly. It keeps going to this screen: Enter Run Level (0-6, s or S): I tried to hit all nos# 0-6 is just goes to hung state. Tried s or S & it brings me to single user mode. I've checked the file systems & found out that all three had 98%. I tried to... (86 Replies)
Discussion started by: jedimaster
86 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

New kernel won't boot

I compiled new kernel in linux 10.04 called linux-2.6.26.8-xenomai, it runs alongside the other kernel, but when I want to boot it I get an error message saying: Missing modules (cat /proc/modules; ls /dev) ALERT! /dev/sda5 does not exist. After making the modules and headers I made the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdop
4 Replies
ZFSBOOT(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						ZFSBOOT(8)

NAME
zfsboot -- bootcode for ZFS on BIOS-based computers DESCRIPTION
zfsboot is used on BIOS-based computers to boot from a filesystem in a ZFS pool. zfsboot is installed in two parts on a disk or a partition used by a ZFS pool. The first part, a single-sector starter boot block, is installed at the beginning of the disk or partition. The second part, a main boot block, is installed at a special offset within the disk or partition. Both areas are reserved by the ZFS on-disk specifi- cation for boot use. If zfsboot is installed in a partition, then that partition should be made bootable using appropriate configuration and boot blocks described in boot(8). BOOTING
The zfsboot boot process is very similar to that of gptzfsboot(8). One significant difference is that zfsboot does not currently support the GPT partitioning scheme. Thus only whole disks and MBR partitions, traditionally referred to as slices, are probed for ZFS disk labels. See the BUGS section in gptzfsboot(8) for some limitations of the MBR scheme support. USAGE
zfsboot supports all the same prompt and configuration file arguments as gptzfsboot(8). FILES
/boot/zfsboot boot code binary /boot.config parameters for the boot block (optional) /boot/config alternative parameters for the boot block (optional) EXAMPLES
zfsboot is typically installed using dd(1). To install zfsboot on the ada0 drive: dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ada0 count=1 dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ada0 iseek=1 oseek=1024 If the drive is currently in use, the GEOM safety will prevent writes and must be disabled before running the above commands: sysctl kern.geom.debugflags=0x10 zfsboot can also be installed in an MBR slice: gpart create -s mbr ada0 gpart add -t freebsd ada0 gpart create -s BSD ada0s1 gpart bootcode -b /boot/boot0 ada0 gpart set -a active -i 1 ada0 dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ada0s1 count=1 dd if=/boot/zfsboot of=/dev/ada0s1 iseek=1 oseek=1024 Note that commands to create and populate a pool are not shown in the example above. SEE ALSO
dd(1), boot.config(5), boot(8), gptzfsboot(8), loader(8), zfsloader(8), zpool(8) HISTORY
zfsboot appeared in FreeBSD 7.3. AUTHORS
This manual page was written by Andriy Gapon <avg@FreeBSD.org>. BUGS
Installing zfsboot with dd(1) is a hack. ZFS needs a command to properly install zfsboot onto a ZFS-controlled disk or partition. BSD
September 15, 2014 BSD