Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers how do I insert argument into TOP of file using vi? Post 302129534 by zazzybob on Tuesday 31st of July 2007 11:22:10 AM
Old 07-31-2007
OK, sed's insert command would be hassle here, so awk is probably easiest. "line_file" is your input filename.

Code:
# get midway point - will be a floored integer
$ line_num=$(( $( wc -l < line_file ) / 2 ))
# insert text after that line
$ awk '{if ( NR=='"${line_num}"' ) {printf("%s\n%s\n",$0,"insert this");} else {print}}' line_file > line_file.new && mv line_file.new line_file

Cheers,
ZB

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED- Insert text at top of file

Does anyone know how to insert text at the top and bottom of a file using sed? (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: MBGPS
12 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

insert text into top of file

how would you insert text into a existing file using aguments first arguments being the line of text and the second argument being file name (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jimbob
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Inserting argument into top of a file

Hi, I am new to Unix, and I am trying to append a line of argument into a current file. I need this line to be inserted into the very top of the file. Does anyone know how this is done? For example, I am trying: echo "insert to top" >> filename. This inserts the line at the bottom of the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dev06
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

best way to insert a line at the top of a file?

say I want to insert "this is a test" as the first line into file A, besides echo "this is a test" > /tmp/tmpfile cat /tmp/tmpfile fileA >> /tmp/result, is there any simple way I can do it? thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fedora
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

get positive number n as argument script must calculate the factorial of its argument

Can someone please help me with this SHELL script? I need to create a script that gets a positive number n as an argument. The script must calculate the factorial of its argument. In other words, it must calculate n!=1x2x3x...xn. Note that 0!=1. Here is a start but I have no clue how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: I-1
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot compare argument in if statement in csh/grep command if argument starts with “-“

If ($argv == “-debug”) then Echo “in loop” Endif But this is not working. If I modify this code and remove “-“, then it works. Similarly I am getting problem using grep command also Grep “-debug” Filename Can someone please help me on how to resolve these... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Insert string in binary file at top

How can i append a EBCDIC string of 100 bytes to 0th position of a binary file in UNIX. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: param_it
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make script that run with argument if not run from configuration file argument

Hello, Is there any method thorugh which script can take argument if pass otherwise if argument doesn't pass then it takes the argument from the configuration file i.e I am workiing on a script which will run through crontab and the script will chekout the code ,zip and copy to the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit22hamirpur
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error:--test: argument expected--Even though i give an argument.

Hi All, I am running the script VBoxManage list vms |sed 's/"//g' | cut -d " " -f1 > har1out.mytxt result=`cat har1out.mytxt | grep $1' echo $result echo $1 { if then echo pass else echo fail fi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harsha85
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Insert date/time header at top of file

I'm trying to take mrt output and put it at the top of a file along with the date and time. I was able to do it at the bottom of the file with the following printf "********** $(date) **********\n\n" >> $OUTPUT_PATH/$HOSTNAME mtr -r -w -c 10 $HOSTADDRESS >> $OUTPUT_PATH/$HOSTNAME printf... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kramer65
2 Replies
DwtCSTextReplace(3Dwt)													    DwtCSTextReplace(3Dwt)

Name
       DwtCSTextReplace - Replaces a portion of the current text in the compound-string text widget or inserts some new text into the current text
       of the compound-string text widget.

Syntax
       void DwtCSTextReplace(widget, from_pos, to_pos, value)
	    Widget widget;
	    int from_pos, to_pos;
	    DwtCompString value;

Arguments
       widget	 Specifies the ID of the compound-string text widget.

from_pos  Specifies the first character position of the compound-string text being replaced.

to_pos	 Specifies the last character position of the compound-string text being replaced.

value	 Specifies the text to replace part of the current text in the compound-string text widget.

Description
       The DwtCSTextReplace function replaces part of the text in the compound-string text widget.  Within  the  widget,  positions  are  numbered
       starting  at  0 and increasing sequentially.  For example, to replace the second and third characters in the text, from_pos should be 1 and
       to_pos should be 3.  To insert text after the fourth character, from_pos and to_pos should both be 4.

See Also
       DwtCSText(3Dwt), DwtCSTextCreate(3Dwt), DwtCSTextSetString(3Dwt),  DwtCSTextGetEditable(3Dwt),  DwtCSTextSetEditable(3Dwt),  DwtCS-
       TextGetMaxLength(3Dwt), DwtCSTextSetMaxLength(3Dwt), DwtCSTextSetSelection(3Dwt), DwtCSTextGetSelection(3Dwt)
       Guide to the XUI Toolkit: C Language Binding
       Guide to the XUI Toolkit Intrinsics: C Language Binding

DwtCSTextReplace(3Dwt)