Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Reading raw disk on Solaris
Operating Systems Solaris Reading raw disk on Solaris Post 302129504 by son_t on Tuesday 31st of July 2007 09:01:13 AM
Old 07-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by porter
try "/dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s0"?

There are two forms of disk devices, block and raw.
Sorry forgot to say I tried that as well, and no, that doesn't work either.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

copying oracle tables from raw disk

I have been tasked with archiving Oracle tables. The data is on raw devices, and possibly will span multiple logical volumes. Has anyone ever had to do this? How did you accomplish it? Any references to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: isenhart
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

raw disk

What do u mean by raw and cooked disk? What are the advantages of having raw disk? Thanks n regards, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingsto88
1 Replies

3. Solaris

How to create new partitions in solaris,from the raw disk?

Hi all, I would like to know how to make new partitions.... I currently have allocated 60G for various slices (I have totally used 4 out of 7 available slices... I am running only solaris on my box. My plan is to have entire disk dedicated to solaris and run other OS from within... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
19 Replies

4. Solaris

Mounting a Raw Disk

I am using Solaris 10. I have a raw device attached to my system which is /dev/md/rdsk/d91 I want to mount this as a disk with file system on a mount point /u05. Actually this raw device was earlier part of Oracle ASM. Now I have removed this disk from ASM, and want to use it as normal... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fahdmirza
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Command to format Oracle ASM raw disk

Hi, Can any one please provide the command to format an Oracle Raw Disk in Solaris 10. I have been used the following commands: dd if=/dev/zero of=<raw disk path> Thanks ---------- Post updated at 12:20 PM ---------- Previous update was at 10:11 AM ---------- Well this didn't give... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
0 Replies

6. Solaris

sparc, raw splice on end of disk

I noticed we have a small splice on end of disk that is not mounted. What could that be and how do we move it few sectors? Thanks. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
7 Replies

7. Solaris

Convert from raw disk to solaris volume manager disk

I have a solaris 10 system configured using NetApp as its storage, and the file systems are already configured as you can see from the example below: root@moneta # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 513M 9.3G 6% / ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
0 Replies

8. Solaris

Convert from raw disk to solaris volume manager disk

I have a solaris 10 system configured using NetApp as its storage, and the file systems are already configured as you can see from the example below: root@moneta # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on /dev/md/dsk/d0 9.8G 513M 9.3G 6% /... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
4 Replies

9. Solaris

Persistent ownership of raw disk during reboots

Hi, I'm in process of creating oracle RAC using Solaris 10 in VirtualBox. I want to know how can I change the ownership of device e.g /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s0 and keep it persistent during rebbots. When I enter chown grid:install /dev/rdsk/c0t3d0s0 ls -l still shows root:root. Thanks ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jia786
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

linux 8e vs raw disk

Hi All, Hope someone can help me with this. I have noticed that on some of the servers i am currently administering there is a difference in the setup of some of the LVM disks. Some of the disks have been created by SN disk allocated, disk partitioned using type 8e over the entire disk,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tommyk
2 Replies
suninstall(1M)						  System Administration Commands					    suninstall(1M)

NAME
suninstall - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
suninstall DESCRIPTION
install-solaris(1M) is now the preferred command for starting and restarting the Solaris Installation program. It should be used instead of suninstall. suninstall is symbolically linked to install-solaris. suninstall is a forms-based and graphical subsystem for installing the operating system. suninstall exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should only be invoked from there. Refer to the Solaris 10 Instal- lation Guide: Basic Installations for more details. suninstall allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. suninstall loads the software available on the installa- tion media. Refer to the Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations for disk space requirements. USAGE
Refer to the Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations for more information on the various menus and selections. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
pkginfo(1), install(1M), install-solaris(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) Solaris 10 Installation Guide: Basic Installations NOTES
It is advisable to exit suninstall by means of the exit options in the suninstall menus. SunOS 5.10 9 Sep 2004 suninstall(1M)