Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Converting tables of row data into columns of tables Post 302126897 by drl on Friday 13th of July 2007 09:10:27 PM
Old 07-13-2007
Hi.

Here is one approach:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

# @(#) s1       Demonstrate context splitting, pasting, adjusting columns.

set -o nounset
echo
echo "GNU bash $BASH_VERSION" >&2
csplit --version | head -1 >&2
echo

FILE=${1-data1}
csplit -k -z $FILE /^test_data/ "{*}"

echo
echo " Lines per file:"
wc -l xx*

echo
paste xx* |
column -s"      " -t
# Note: there is a TAB inside -s" ".

exit 0

which, on your data file (with extra line in data set 9) produces:
Code:
% ./s1

GNU bash 2.05b.0(1)-release
csplit (coreutils) 5.2.1

Lines per file:
  6 xx00
  6 xx01
  7 xx02
 19 total

test_data_1                test_data_2                test_data_9
1  2  90%                  3  5  92%                  2  95%
4  3  91%                  5  4  92%                  3  94%
5  4  90%                  7  3  93%                  4  91%
6  5  90%                  9  2  92%                  5  92%
9  6  90%                  1  1  92%                  6  93%
7  90%

See man pages for details on the options ... cheers, drl

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract data from html tables

hi i need to use unix to extract data from several rows of a table coded in html. I know that rows within a table have the tags <tr> </tr> and so i thought that my first step should be to to delete all of the other html code which is not contained within these tags. i could then use this method... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Streetrcr
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading data from multiple tables from Oracle DB

Hi , I want to read the data from 9 tables in oracle DB into 9 different files in the same connection instance (session). I am able to get data from one table to one file with below code : X=`sqlplus -s user/pwd@DB <<eof select col1 from table1; EXIT; eof` echo $X>myfile Can anyone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: net
2 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Extracting data from tables and storing in a file

Hi I am trying to write a script to extract information from a database and save that info to a csv file. I am using sql, an oracle database I have no idea how to even begin this. Can somebody please help. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ladyAnne
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script for comparing data of tables

Hi, I have two databases with same tables on different servers.I need to check the data content in each table and if something is missing, should print that. I have a tool which takes the snapshot the table structure,index so on and compares with the other server tables snapshot. Now i need... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nessj
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help converting row data to columns

I've been trying to figure this out for a while but I'm completely stumped. I have files with data in rows and I need to convert the data to columns. Each record contains four rows with a "field name: value" pair. I would like to convert it to four columns with the field names as column headers... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: happy_ee
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting data from tables......

HOw to extracts data from tables in database. Merges them into one output file. This output file is loaded into another tables in database. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nari.bommi
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting input data from 2 tables

Hello All, I have one table contains: Table1: 5 10 30 40 60 80 ... Table 2: 10 20 60 80 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: krsnadasa
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Append data by looking up 2 tables for multiple files

I want to lookup values from two different tables based on common columns and append. The trick is the column to be looked up is not fixed and varies , so it has to be detected from the header. How can I achieve this at once, for multiple data files, but lookup tables fixed. The two lookup... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ritakadm
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

UPDATE COmmand post comparing 2 columns in 2 mysql tables

my queryis : select distinct m.name, item_count, item from master m join client p on m.name=p.name where item_count = 1 and item > 1; But how should I update them? i used update statetment : Update from client Set item =1 where m.name=p.name and item_count=1 AND item>1 Is this wrong? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: siya@
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script writing for tables with binary data

Hi There, I'm trying to write a simple script that will email me when we have an application job in a certain status that needs human intervention. I've used this script for other tables and it works great. However, this one gives me the warning that there is binary data so it might not. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Colel2
2 Replies
MDBTools(1)															       MDBTools(1)

NAME
mdb-tables - Get listing of tables in an MDB database SYNOPSIS
mdb-tables [-S] [-1 | -d delimiter] database DESCRIPTION
mdb-tables is a utility program distributed with MDB Tools. It produces a list of tables contained within an MDB database in a format suitable for use in shell scripts. OPTIONS
-S Show system tables. System tables are generally those beginning with 'MSys' -1 specifies that the tables should be listed 1 per line. -d delimiter specifies an alternative delimiter. If no delimiter is specified, table names will be delimited by a tab character, or by newline if the -1 option was specified. NOTES
ENVIRONMENT
MDB_JET3_CHARSET Defines the charset of the input JET3 (access 97) file. Default is CP1252. See iconv(1). MDBICONV Defines the output charset. Default is UTF-8. mdbtools must have been compiled with iconv. MDBOPTS semi-column separated list of options: o use_index o no_memo o debug_like o debug_write o debug_usage o debug_ole o debug_row o debug_props o debug_all is a shortcut for all debug_* options HISTORY
mdb-tables first appeared in MDB Tools 0.3. SEE ALSO
gmdb2(1) mdb-export(1) mdb-hexdump(1) mdb-prop(1) mdb-sql(1) mdb-ver(1) mdb-array(1) mdb-header(1) mdb-parsecsv(1) mdb-schema(1) AUTHORS
The mdb-tables utility was written by Brian Bruns. BUGS
Access allows for tables to have spaces embeded in the table name. You must specify a delimiter (-d) if you intend on piping the output of mdb-tables to a program such as awk or cut. 0.7 13 July 2013 MDBTools(1)