Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need help with trap
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Need help with trap Post 302126384 by blowtorch on Wednesday 11th of July 2007 09:07:39 AM
Old 07-11-2007
How about echoing the error in the function?
Code:
function() {
   # some code
   echo $?   # $? contains the return value of the command
}

return_value=function
if [ $return_value -ne 0 ]; then
   # deal with error
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need help with trap

My problem is this: I need to have a catch-all for my processes. An example would be, using a trap, in the parent, to catch any non-0 exit or invalid command (a way to catch core dumps would be cool, too) in not only the parent, but it's children and they're children. Not only that, but I also... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: marc6057
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

trap

I'd like to use "trap" command on my unix machine sunOS 5.7. But somehow when I do "which trap" command, it's no where to be found. Any one knows how I can get it installed? Thanks!! (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: whatisthis
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Building a better mouse trap, or How many lines of code does it take to trap a mouse?

Hello all, I'm hoping to get a little insight from some of the wily veterans amongst you. I've written a script to check for new outgoing files to our vendors located on our ssl server. It seems to be working ok, but the final question here, will be one of logic, and/or a better way to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mph
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trap

Hi All "Identify the behavior of traps, mechanism to implement traps in the snmp framework" What does it mean?? Can anybody explain.. Whats this Trap?? Thanx in Advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeenat
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to trap

I have a script #!/bin/ksh trap cleanup 20 cleanup() { cat $t.log echo Caught exit 1 } if ;then echo Found >>t.log exit 20 else echo Not found >>t.log exit 20 fi (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thana
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cntl+z Trap is not detecting ??? Help required to add a trap detection ???

Hi folks, I have tried to add some trap detection in the below script....this script is used to monitor database activities...in a rather awkward way :rolleyes:.... The idea behind adding trap is that....this script creates lots of temporary files in the running folder to store the count... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frozensmilz
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

trap

Hi At the beginning of my script, i will create a file and at the end of the script i will delete that. But i got to delete the file even if the process is forcefully killed, or server is rebooted... I think i can make use of trap signal, but couldnt figure out how and where to use in my... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

what does this 'trap' do?

trap "" 1 2 3 Thanks, -dog (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: landog
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

VM trap may work differently than a pure install trap.

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: That is the last reply I received from my instructor, and I'm looking for some alternatives. When using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newuser45
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trap

Hi Ppl, Need help $ cat trap.sh #!/bin/bash trap cleanup 1 2 3 15 cleanup() { echo “I was running \”$BASH_COMMAND\” when you interrupted me.” echo “Quitting.” exit 1 } while : do echo -en “hello. “ sleep 1 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heman96
3 Replies
SNMPTRAP(1)							     Net-SNMP							       SNMPTRAP(1)

NAME
snmptrap, snmpinform - sends an SNMP trap to a manager SYNOPSIS
snmptrap -v 1 [COMMON OPTIONS] [-Ci] enterprise-oid agent generic-trap specific-trap uptime [OID TYPE VALUE]... snmptrap -v [2c|3] [COMMON OPTIONS] [-Ci] uptime trap-oid [OID TYPE VALUE]... snmpinform -v [2c|3] [COMMON OPTIONS] uptime trap-oid [OID TYPE VALUE]... DESCRIPTION
snmptrap is an SNMP application that uses the SNMP TRAP operation to send information to a network manager. One or more object identifiers (OIDs) can be given as arguments on the command line. A type and a value must accompany each object identifier. Each variable name is given in the format specified in variables(5). When invoked as snmpinform, or when -Ci is added to the command line flags of snmptrap, it sends an INFORM-PDU, expecting a response from the trap receiver, retransmitting if required. Otherwise it sends an TRAP-PDU or TRAP2-PDU. If any of the required version 1 parameters, enterprise-oid, agent, and uptime are specified as empty, it defaults to 1.3.6.1.4.1.3.1.1 (enterprises.cmu.1.1), hostname, and host-uptime respectively. The TYPE is a single character, one of: i INTEGER u UNSIGNED c COUNTER32 s STRING x HEX STRING d DECIMAL STRING n NULLOBJ o OBJID t TIMETICKS a IPADDRESS b BITS For example: snmptrap -v 1 -c public manager enterprises.spider test-hub 3 0 '' interfaces.iftable.ifentry.ifindex.1 i 1 will send a generic linkUp trap to manager, for interface 1. OPTIONS
snmptrap takes the common options described in the snmpcmd(1) manual page in addition to the -Ci option described above. SEE ALSO
snmpcmd(1), variables(5). 4th Berkeley Distribution 08 Feb 2002 SNMPTRAP(1)