Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Script allows user to kill other users: I'd like to know HOW... Post 302126004 by kah00na on Monday 9th of July 2007 03:39:52 PM
Old 07-09-2007
I don't see a question in your post...?? Are you asking how one user running this script is able to kill other user's sessions? If so, do a "ls -l brkill.txt" and post that. It may have a root sticky bit on it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to kill stranded/orphan process by users.

I have customers on our AIX/UNIX node startup a process that becomes stranded or orphaned and must be killed. I would like to create a script to check for these orphan processes and kill them. I can have cron run this job. The customers process will run and after 24 hours time out leaving an... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rjohnson
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill process of other users

Hi, Can I kill process submitted by another uesr (say user1) if I'm not the su. If I got some previledges granted from user1, can I kill user1's process? Please advise? Thank you very much! Regards, Tse (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tsesukfan
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill users

Someone knows how do I kill a login user only with the login_name? This moment I kill the user using the following command. E4500:/mg98/samuel$ whodo samuel Tue Sep 14 08:32:10 EST 2004 sun pts/234 samuel 7:30 pts/234 24200 0:00 ksh pts/234 26724 0:00 whodo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: samuel
3 Replies

4. HP-UX

Is there a script available to kill Idle users

My max user parm is set to 1050. I'm currently at 1038 this is causing major slow downs on the server. I looking for a way log off "idle" user logins with out having to do it individually. :confused: (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rfmurphy_6
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

kill crashed out users

Hi all, We have a problem where we get a fair few users either exiting incorrectly or crashing. I'm trying to get a script together that runs every hour to kill these processes off. We are running Sco OperServer(TM) Release 5 The command we use to get a list of users who have crashed: ps... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tez
2 Replies

6. HP-UX

kill idle users

Hi, In my network we uses the NetTerm program to connect us to HP-UX 10.x server from windows workstations, but in some cases the user doesn't logout and close it by window's x button. The problem is that in HP-UX the user and all his tasks remain active and when he enter again HP-UX creates a... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: efrenba
12 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

crontab or looping script to Kill process from user

I am looking for a way to kill 2 processes from a user through some kind of script. Using an oracle script, I get two process ids that need to be killed. SQL> select ssn.process as client_process_id, pcs.spid as oracle_process_id, ssn.sid, ssn.serial# 2 from v$session ssn inner join... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Meert
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with script to stop a user giving kill command on a server!!

Hi, I am new to shell scripting and want to create a script with the follwoing description: I want to restrict the users from giving a kill command on a unix server. The server have a restricted logins with login id and passwords. I want a script that will find out if a user has given a... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shell_scripting
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to kill network users?

Hi everybody. I am using SCO open server. My problem is to kill users logged in my local network. I am using Kill -9 command for kill the repective user/terminal. But it shows in 'who -u'. when i try to kill agina that process it shows like "6229: no such process " User count is... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sanjaykunjam
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

script to ignore the user from list of users

Hi, I have a situation where I want to ignore few users from list of users and print rest of user in log file. say, I want to ignore aaa, bbb, ccc, ddd .. ppp from list of 20 user (do not want to include) What is the good command or any script? Thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumit30
1 Replies
kill(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   kill(1)

Name
       kill - send a signal to a process

Syntax
       kill [-sig] processid...
       kill -l

Description
       The command sends the TERM (terminate, 15) signal to the specified processes.  If a signal name or number preceded by `-' is given as first
       argument, that signal is sent instead of terminate.  For further information, see

The terminate signal kills processes that do not catch the signal; `kill -9 ...' is a sure kill, as the KILL (9) signal cannot  be  caught.
       By convention, if process number 0 is specified, all members in the process group (that is, processes resulting from the current login) are
       signaled.  This works only if you use and not if you use To kill a process it must either belong to you or you must be superuser.

The process number of an asynchronous process started with `&' is reported by the shell.  Process numbers can also be  found  by  using	It
       allows job specifiers ``%...''  so process ID's are not as often used as arguments.  See for details.

Options
       -l   Lists  signal  names.  The signal names are listed by `kill -l', and are as given in /usr/include/signal.h, stripped of the common SIG
	    prefix.

See Also
       csh(1), ps(1), kill(2), sigvec(2)

kill(1)