Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Start and End times of background processes Post 302121118 by stonemonolith on Tuesday 12th of June 2007 12:15:59 AM
Old 06-12-2007
Start and End times of background processes

Hi

I'm running 4 jobs in the background and I need to write the start and end times to a log file. I know there's probably a simple way to do this but, I can't think of it. I've used nohup <script name> & but, that doesn't record the times. Is there a way to get the start and end times of a background process? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Background processes

How do you capture the return code from a background process? I am dumping data to a fifo and then processing it in a c program. I need to know that the sql finished successfully to ensure no missing data. Thanks. ex. sqlplus user/password < get_data.sql > data_fifo.txt & bin/process_data... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: korndog
2 Replies

2. SuSE

oracle background processes

I have installed oracle 10g on suse sles9. I do not see oracle background processes. ps -ef|grep ora_ gives me environment variables junk. ps -ef|grep smon does not show anything however database is up and running. Any idea how to tweak that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vijayasawant
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Start program in background (or start crontab ahead of time)

Hey! I'm working on a script that will add a user, create some configfiles, and add a crontab for the user. The crontab looks like the following: @reboot /home/user/program config.conf & I would like for this process to start at the end of my script under the corresponding username by... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: noratx
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

can I specifiy the start and end times manually

Hi I have a ksh script which fetches data from a db using a number of .arc files and creates CSV files for them and puts them on the server. Question is, can I specifiy the start and stop times manually and run the script manually to fetch data for a certain period? # Get the current... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shajju
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

can I specifiy the start and end times manually

Hi I have a ksh script which fetches data from a db using a number of .arc files and creates CSV files for them and puts them on the server. Question is, how can I specifiy the start and stop times specifically so that data is fetched for a certain period? # Get the current time as the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shajju
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Background Processes

Ok guys so I have my first dummy shell almost done except for one tiny part: I do not know how to run a process in the background, from the code! I already know how to do that in a normal shell: $ program & However, no clue when it comes to how to program that thing. :eek: A very... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Across
2 Replies

7. AIX

Apache httpd appear too many times on processes

Dear all experts, I have a environment with 2 web, 2 apps and 2 db servers. Recently after I have patch the AIX O/S from 5300-11-02 to 5300-12-02, we found that the number of httpd processes increase largely. From originally 4 fix httpd processes become more than 600 processes. And it already... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kwliew999
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help on background processes

Hi, I have a schell script parent.ksh from which I am calling three background processes a.ksh,b.ksh and c.ksh. Once these three processes completes the next step in parent.ksh should execute. How to achieve this? Please help me.... Thanks... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ravinunna
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove lines between the start string and end string including start and end string Python

Hi, I am trying to remove lines once a string is found till another string is found including the start string and end string. I want to basically grab all the lines starting with color (closing bracket). PS: The line after the closing bracket for color could be anything (currently 'more').... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dabheeruz
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract start/end times from log file to CSV file?

Hi, I have a log file (log.txt) that which contains lines of date/time. I need to create a script to extract a CSV file (out.csv) that gets all the sequential times (with only 1 minute difference) together by stating the start time and end time of this period. Sample log file (log.txt) ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.Zizo
7 Replies
ncftpbatch(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ncftpbatch(1)

NAME
ncftpbatch - Individual batch FTP job processor SYNOPSIS
ncftpbatch -d ncftpbatch -l ncftpbatch -D OPTIONS
Command line flags: -d Begin background processing of FTP jobs in the current user's $HOME/.ncftp/spool directory. This returns immediately, because a daemon process is spawned and ran in the background. -l Lists the contents of the user's job queue. -D This is like -d, except that the process does not become a daemon. DESCRIPTION
This program is responsible for processing background FTP requests. It is normally only run by ncftp and not manually by a human being, however you can run it to manually process the FTP job queue. The jobs are spool files written to a user's $HOME/.ncftp/spool directory and have a special format and file-naming convention (which con- tains when the job is to be run). ncftp runs this program when it needs to, but if the ncftpbatch daemon dies unexpectedly the jobs that are left in the queue will not be processed until another instance of ncftpbatch is run. ncftpget and ncftpput can also be used to submit jobs for batch processing, using those utilities' -b command-line flag. If desired, you can also manually create the spool files although this procedure is not documented here (see the manual page for ncftpspooler for more information on how to do that). DIAGNOSTICS
ncftpbatch writes to its own log file, the $HOME/.ncftp/spool/log file. This file should be examined to determine if any ncftpbatch pro- cesses are actively working on jobs. AUTHOR
Mike Gleason, NcFTP Software (mgleason@ncftp.com). SEE ALSO
ncftp(1), ncftpput(1), ncftpget(1). Software NcFTP ncftpbatch(1)