Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Environment help please
Operating Systems Solaris Environment help please Post 302121076 by reborg on Monday 11th of June 2007 04:54:25 PM
Old 06-11-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by komputersman
Is there a .profile that applies to all accounts?
Yes, /etc/profile.

Others may be set by the shell when it initializes or the remote login service being used before initializing the shell (eg ssh sets some variables )

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cron Environment

I am trying to run a series of perl scripts at different times using crontab under solaris. The scripts that i am using require some specific environment variables to be specified for database functionality, but i would also like it that i can specify a few global variables for output locations. ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Smitty McSmith
8 Replies

2. AIX

chroot environment

Hi!! I'm currently running AIX 4.3.3 and i'm trying to setup a chroot environment for the users who use SFTP, i spend a lot time SFTW but i can't make it work. I got openssh3.9p1 whit the chroot patch. Any help is greatly appreciated. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: samurai79
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help..Environment variables...

hi, 1). i would like to know what is meant by environment variables? 2). is the number of envi variables is a constant number for unix systems? 3). how to see the list of envi variables (and the values of the envi variables)in a single command? 4). if this questions were already asked... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekar sundaram
3 Replies

4. Programming

environment variables

hi, I want to create a new EV(Environment Variable) through a c program and I done this thing through setenv() method. But the newly created EV is not permanent, i.e. when I exit from the program the EV also no longer lives. But I want to make it a permanent EV for the current user. Actually I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumsin
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Reset environment - ".. /etc/.environment dev_env"

I have been resently working on some ksh script. One of the line in the file writes: .. /etc/.environment dev_env I can not understand what this mean, all I know is .environment is unix system environment file. Is ".." a command? If some one can give me some clue where can I find information... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zzwu3591
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

environment variables

Hi, If i have a variable set and exported in my pofile file will that variable be available in all shell scripts created. Thanks, Radhika. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhika03
3 Replies

7. Programming

Getting another process' environment

Suppose that I have an environment variable (call it "EVAR") that I set before running a process (call it "myproc"). "myproc" is run multiple times by multiple users and each may set "EVAR" differently. I.E.: UserA: export EVAR=v1 myproc UserB: export EVAR=v2 myproc Now "myproc" is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Environment Variable

Hi All, I am new to SUN Solaris.I have some questions regarding environment variable.:confused: Q1. Where the environment variables available in Solaris. Q2. What command used here. Q3. Can a user change this .Suppose i want to change the bash to ksh can it be possible here. Or i need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdash.ps
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Environment variables

why are all environment variables represented in a fixed format regardless of the shell you use? like $HOME $PATH etc (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravani
6 Replies

10. HP-UX

Environment Variables

Hi All, I need to understand following three environment variables and their usages in HP Unix. _M_ARENA_OPTS _M_CACHE_OPTS PTHREAD_SCOPE_SYSTEM How does these environment variables influence multi threaded applciation and how do we decide the value of these variables? Is there... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: angshuman
0 Replies
profile(4)                                                         File Formats                                                         profile(4)

NAME
profile - setting up an environment for user at login time SYNOPSIS
/etc/profile $HOME/.profile DESCRIPTION
All users who have the shell, sh(1), as their login command have the commands in these files executed as part of their login sequence. /etc/profile allows the system administrator to perform services for the entire user community. Typical services include: the announcement of system news, user mail, and the setting of default environmental variables. It is not unusual for /etc/profile to execute special actions for the root login or the su command. The file $HOME/.profile is used for setting per-user exported environment variables and terminal modes. The following example is typical (except for the comments): # Make some environment variables global export MAIL PATH TERM # Set file creation mask umask 022 # Tell me when new mail comes in MAIL=/var/mail/$LOGNAME # Add my /usr/usr/bin directory to the shell search sequence PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin # Set terminal type TERM=${L0:-u/n/k/n/o/w/n} # gnar.invalid while : do if [ -f ${TERMINFO:-/usr/share/lib/terminfo}/?/$TERM ] then break elif [ -f /usr/share/lib/terminfo/?/$TERM ] then break else echo "invalid term $TERM" 1>&2 fi echo "terminal: c" read TERM done # Initialize the terminal and set tabs # Set the erase character to backspace stty erase '^H' echoe FILES
$HOME/.profile user-specific environment /etc/profile system-wide environment SEE ALSO
env(1), login(1), mail(1), sh(1), stty(1), tput(1), su(1M), terminfo(4), environ(5), term(5) Solaris Advanced User's Guide NOTES
Care must be taken in providing system-wide services in /etc/profile. Personal .profile files are better for serving all but the most global needs. SunOS 5.10 20 Dec 1992 profile(4)