Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Shared memory in shared library Post 302118964 by DreamWarrior on Friday 25th of May 2007 01:36:05 PM
Old 05-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by porter
1. Understand the process memory map on a particular OS.

2. attach the shared memory as early as possible in the process startup to prevent that memories use by other later activities.

3. if you fork, you will have two processes using the shared memory at the same address, I can't confirm if when you exec() the shared-memory actually gets detached. Would be worth finding out?
It is the 2 part that worries me. Writing a shared library that "insists" that it gets a certain region of memory to attach to seems prone to issue. However, writing it to attach to various different regions seems prone to issue too because all applications must attach to the same region if pointers are to be valid across them.

Humm...maybe it should be configurable...doesn't seem fair, however, to make the user set a value. Grrrrrrrr... Always a trade-off...make it fast, or make it reliable.... The reliable route would be to store all "pointers" as offsets...or page/offset pair. But, that means that the application must always translate my pointer type into the actual pointer.... Slow...tedious, error-prone. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Shared Library

hello all I want to work in shared libraries how can i work in Linux Environment ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajashekaran
2 Replies

2. HP-UX

Shared Library Problem

I have this error when I try to do check on the oracle database... Can you help me figure out whats the problem? Thanks for all the help! /usr/lib/pa20_64/dld.sl: Unable to find library 'libjox8.sl'. /usr/lib/pa20_64/dld.sl: Unable to find library 'libjox8.sl'. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vinz
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shared memory shortage but lots of unused memory

I am running HP-UX B.11.11. I'm increasing a parameter for a database engine so that it uses more memory to buffer the disk drive (to speed up performance). I have over 5GB of memory not being used. But when I try to start the DB with the increased buffer parameter I get told. "Not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjcamaro
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shared library

What is the primary difference between static library and dynamic library? and how to write static shared library? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: areef4u
1 Replies

5. Programming

Shared memory for shared library

I am writing a shared library in Linux (but compatible with other UNIXes) and I want to allow multiple instances to share a piece of memory -- 1 byte is enough. What's the "best" way to do this? I want to optimize for speed and portability. Obviously, I'll have to worry about mutual exclusion. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change a Makefile from building static library to shared library?

Hi: I have a library that it only offers Makefile for building static library. It built libxxx.a file. How do I in any way build a shared library? (either changin the Makefile or direct script or command to build shared library) Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cpthk
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which sections of a shared library should be loaded in the physical memory?

Each shared library may contain sections with allocatable flag as below: ... .hash .gnu.hash .dynsym .dynstr .gnu.version .gnu.version_d .rel.dyn .rel.plt .plt ... My questions is that: among above sections, which of them should be loaded in the physical memory by run-time linker... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dongping84
3 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Linking to a shared library

I'm trying to get Valgrind to work with an openmpi application in OS X. However I want to hardcode the path to a shared library called libmpiwrap-amd64-darwin.so into my application so that it is available at runtime. In Linux this is relatively simple, I would just add the option... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Valgrinder
0 Replies

9. Programming

Shared library with acces to shared memory.

Hello. I am new to this forum and I would like to ask for advice about low level POSIX programming. I have to implement a POSIX compliant C shared library. A file will have some variables and the shared library will have some functions which need those variables. There is one special... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iamjag
5 Replies

10. AIX

Add shared members from library to same library in a different directory

I'm trying to install libiconv to AIX 7.1 from an rpm off of the perzl site. The rpm appears to install but I get this error message. add shr4.o shared members from /usr/lib/libiconv.a to /opt/freeware/lib/libiconv.a add shr.o shared members from /usr/lib/libiconv.a to ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kneemoe
5 Replies
shmop(2)							System Calls Manual							  shmop(2)

NAME
shmat(), shmdt() - shared memory operations SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
attaches the shared memory segment associated with the shared memory identifier specified by shmid to the data segment of the calling process. The segment is attached for reading if (shmflg is "true"; otherwise, it is attached for reading and writing. It is not possible to attach a segment for write only. If the shared memory segment has never been attached to by any process prior to the current call, shmaddr must be specified as zero and the segment is attached at a location selected by the operating system. That location is identical in all processes accessing that shared mem- ory object. Once the operating system selects a location for a shared memory segment, the same location will be used across any subsequent and calls on the segment until it is removed by the operation of See exceptions for MPAS processes below. If this is not the first call on the shared memory segment throughout the system, shmaddr must either be zero or contain a nonzero address that is identical to the one returned from previous calls for that segment. Even if no processes are currently attached to the segment, as long as the segment has been attached before, the same rule applies. See exceptions for MPAS processes below. If the calling process is already attached to the shared memory segment, fails and returns regardless of what value is passed in shmaddr. See exceptions for MPAS processes below. detaches from the calling process's data segment the shared memory segment located at the address specified by shmaddr. Exceptions for MPAS Processes On Itanium(R)-based platforms, MPAS (Mostly Private Address Space) processes are not restricted to passing in zero or a fixed value to calls to MPAS processes may pass in other addresses. The call may fail or succeed due to implementation dependent reasons. MGAS processes have all the restrictions outlined above. In addition, an MGAS process may not assume that it can attach at the address that an MPAS process can use to attach to the same segment. An MPAS process may be able to attach to the same shared memory segment multiple times. Success or failure of such an operation is imple- mentation dependent. Failure will be indicated by a return value of An MPAS process should specify or flags in the call to These follow the same rules as such flags passed to shmget(2). See the for details. RETURN VALUE
returns the following values: Successful completion. n is the data segment start address of the attached shared memory segment. Failure. The shared memory segment is not attached. is set to indicate the error. The symbol is defined in the header No successful return from will return the value returns the following values: Successful completion. Failure. is set to indicate the error. ERRORS
If fails, is set to one of the following values. [EACCES] Operation permission is denied to the calling process. [EINVAL] shmid is not a valid shared memory identifier, (possibly because the shared memory segment was already removed using shmctl(2) with or the calling process is already attached to shmid. [EINVAL] shmaddr is not zero and the machine does not permit nonzero values, or shmaddr is not equal to the current attach location for the shared memory segment. [ENOMEM] The available data space is not large enough to accommodate the shared memory segment. [EMFILE] The number of shared memory segments attached to the calling process exceed the system-imposed limit. If fails, is set to one of the following values. [EINVAL] shmaddr is not the data segment start address of a shared memory segment. EXAMPLES
The following call to attaches the shared memory segment to the process. This example assumes the process has a valid shmid, which can be obtained by calling shmget(2). The following call to then detaches the shared memory segment. SEE ALSO
ipcs(1), exec(2), exit(2), fork(2), ftok(3C), shmctl(2), shmget(2), privileges(5). in STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
shmop(2)