Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers upper limit of accessible memory space for a single process in Unix/Linux Post 302115943 by cy163 on Monday 30th of April 2007 07:57:52 AM
Old 04-30-2007
upper limit of accessible memory space for a single process in Unix/Linux

Hellp all,

if there is 3G memory in my Unix server I want to know if all the 3G space can be used by ong sigle process. As i know, in Windows, one process can only access at most 1G memory despite there is probably more than 1G memory is equipped.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

UNIX export command - memory space

Hello, I have 2 or more environment files, with identical variable names; see below: .env_file1 export PROJNAME="XYZ" export PROJID="2" .env_file2 export PROJNAME="WSX" export PROJID="9" .env_file(n) export PROJNAME="QAZ" export PROJID="12" The env files above will be sourced... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nomaad
2 Replies

2. Linux

mamimum memory single process

How can i Globally set the maximum core memory a single process can take. IE, i want to set that no single process may get more than 11GB. I am running red hat enterprise unix 4. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

process memory change in unix

Hello! I was wondering if I could trouble all your experts with a couple questions regarding checking memory usage changes during the run time in the specific program (process) under UNIX. 1. After the program starts running, is ps the best way to tell the total memory usage at the any time? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aginger
2 Replies

4. Programming

Access process memory from kernel space

Hi, I'm currently working on a project to help the analysis of malware from inside the kernel to avoid any kind of detection. So I need to be able to read the process memory from my kernel module. As of now, I'm stuck at converting a virtual memory address (for example 0x080483e8 found... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anonymoose
3 Replies

5. Red Hat

about shared memory space in Linux !

Dear Friends , I am confused about shared memory in Linux . plz look @ the below output : $ df -h Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on /dev/sda1 126G 61G 59G 52% / tmpfs 1.7G 0 1.7G 0% /dev/shm Here , I see that every time... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shipon_97
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change the memory address of ld.linux-so in a dynamically linked process

hi, For some special reason , I'd like to control the memory address for the shared libraries in my dynamically linked process. And it is the "ld" which interpret the dynamically linked library, and in my system, the "ld-linux.so.2" is put at 0x00812000. Then I use "prelink -r" command to change... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: zerocool_08
0 Replies

7. Programming

Compute upper and lower limit of data types.

hello all, am stuck with ?. how to compute limits of char, int, float. i have done it simply displaying values from <limits.h> but i wan to calculate it.. its absolutley not a homework. thank you. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: zius_oram
7 Replies

8. HP-UX

Single Process Memory Allocation HP-UX 11i v3

Hi, I have HP-UX 11i v3 running on ia64. One of my application is 32-bit and I want to increase the memory allocation of this file upto 2GB. I am contentiously receiving an error message of Out of Memory. Can you please explain the procedure what kernel configuration( like maxdsize or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ahmadamin416
1 Replies

9. Programming

Memory allocation for particular process in UNIX

I want to run a C program on my linux machine. I want to allocate specific heap size for that process (C program) to run. How can I do that? I know in Java same can be done using -Xmx option. There may be some option which I can specify in the C program like Java or may be in linux process. (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ankur Goyal
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Single line archive log files command if exceed certain limit in Linux

Hello Guys, Is there a single line archive command to zip or tar log files which is larger than certain size limit ? Do let me know if there is any. Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: UnknownGuy
7 Replies
datalock(3C)															      datalock(3C)

NAME
datalock() - lock process into memory after allocating data and stack space SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
allocates at least datsiz bytes of data space and stsiz bytes of stack space, then locks the program in memory. The data space is allo- cated by (see malloc(3C)). After the program is locked, this space is released by (see malloc(3C)), making it available for use. This allows the calling program to use that much space dynamically without receiving the signal. The effective user ID of the calling process must be super-user or be a member of or have an effective group ID of a group having PRIV_MLOCK access to use this call (see setprivgrp(2) in getprivgrp(2)). EXAMPLES
The following call to allocates 4096 bytes of data space and 2048 bytes of stack space, then locks the process in memory: RETURN VALUE
returns -1 if cannot allocate enough memory or if returned an error (see plock(2)). WARNINGS
Multiple datalocks cannot be the same as one big one. Methods for calculating the required size are not yet well developed. AUTHOR
was developed by HP. SEE ALSO
getprivgrp(2), plock(2), thread_safety(5). datalock(3C)