Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Question on creation of Thread pool Post 302115580 by porter on Wednesday 25th of April 2007 05:31:49 PM
Old 04-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radha
i am in a process of creating a multithread pool using
clone() system call in unix with c programming.
Are you sure? You are more likely using clone() on Linux which is not Unix.

I suggest instead of using Linux's clone() you use pthread_create, you will end up with a much more portable solution.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Thread creation in c++

Hi all! Is there a function in c++ to create new threads.I have writen a class "Thread" in which I will be calling this thread function to creat threads. Also is there a function to synchronize threads .I know that we can create objects like semaphores and critical sections to synchronize in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijlak
2 Replies

2. Solaris

DiskSuite 4.2.1 Database creation question

I'm trying to figure out how to simply create a 500Gb ufs file system named /rec using DiskSuite 4.2.1 on a Solaris 8 platform via command line using two 250Gb partitions on two different disks. Does anyone know what the proper command string and options are to perform this task? Would I use the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruger14
2 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

zfs - migrate from pool to pool

Here are the details. cnjr-opennms>root$ zfs list NAME USED AVAIL REFER MOUNTPOINT openpool 20.6G 46.3G 35.5K /openpool openpool/ROOT 15.4G 46.3G 18K legacy openpool/ROOT/rds 15.4G 46.3G 15.3G / openpool/ROOT/rds/var 102M ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pupp
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

thread creation

#include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <pthread.h> void *fork_thread(void *ptr ); main() { pthread_t thread1; char *message1 = "Thread 1"; int iret1; iret1 = pthread_create( &thread1, NULL, fork_thread, (void*) message1); exit(0); } Void *fork_thread(... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: annapurna konga
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

thread creation

Void *fork_thread( void *ptr ) i am getting error in this line please help me out (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: annapurna konga
1 Replies

6. Solaris

ZFS pool question

I created a pool the other day. I created a 10 gig files just for a test, then deleted it. I proceeded to create a few files systems. But for some reason the pool shows 10% full, but the files systems are both at 1%? Both files systems share the same pool. When I ls -al the pool I just... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
6 Replies

7. Solaris

need some help in resource pool creation

i have server carry more than 50 zone i want to create 2 resource pool assign 40 zone to resource pool number 1 assign 10 zone to resource pool number 2 how can i do that (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coxmanchester
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

thread pool problem

hello everyone. I want to implement a thread pool, with 10 threads most. Inside main,I call a function (lets say it foo) wich creates (if it is needed) or uses an existing thread from the pool and sends it to do a job.My problem is that I dont know how to pass the argument from the main to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: garag11
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about lvm file creation

Hi, I have below code for disk creation disk_list=$(ls /dev/sd) for disk in $disk_list do pvcreate $i done So what my understanding is first it is checking the disk under /dev sdb,sdc,sdd,...sdz whether 25 disk are existing if not then its creating the 25 physical volume. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
4 Replies
SET_TID_ADDRESS(2)					     Linux Programmer's Manual						SET_TID_ADDRESS(2)

NAME
set_tid_address - set pointer to thread ID SYNOPSIS
#include <linux/unistd.h> long set_tid_address(int *tidptr); DESCRIPTION
The kernel keeps for each process two values called set_child_tid and clear_child_tid that are NULL by default. set_child_tid If a process is started using clone(2) with the CLONE_CHILD_SETTID flag, set_child_tid is set to child_tidptr, the fifth argument of that system call. When set_child_tid is set, the very first thing the new process does is writing its PID at this address. clear_child_tid If a process is started using clone(2) with the CLONE_CHILD_CLEARTID flag, clear_child_tid is set to child_tidptr, the fifth argument of that system call. The system call set_tid_address() sets the clear_child_tid value for the calling process to tidptr. When clear_child_tid is set, and the process exits, and the process was sharing memory with other processes or threads, then 0 is written at this address, and a futex(child_tidptr, FUTEX_WAKE, 1, NULL, NULL, 0); call is done. (That is, wake a single process waiting on this futex.) Errors are ignored. RETURN VALUE
set_tid_address() always returns the PID of the calling process. ERRORS
set_tid_address() always succeeds. VERSIONS
This call is present since Linux 2.5.48. Details as given here are valid since Linux 2.5.49. CONFORMING TO
This system call is Linux-specific. SEE ALSO
clone(2), futex(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.27 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2004-09-10 SET_TID_ADDRESS(2)