Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Question on creation of Thread pool Post 302115580 by porter on Wednesday 25th of April 2007 05:31:49 PM
Old 04-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radha
i am in a process of creating a multithread pool using
clone() system call in unix with c programming.
Are you sure? You are more likely using clone() on Linux which is not Unix.

I suggest instead of using Linux's clone() you use pthread_create, you will end up with a much more portable solution.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Thread creation in c++

Hi all! Is there a function in c++ to create new threads.I have writen a class "Thread" in which I will be calling this thread function to creat threads. Also is there a function to synchronize threads .I know that we can create objects like semaphores and critical sections to synchronize in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijlak
2 Replies

2. Solaris

DiskSuite 4.2.1 Database creation question

I'm trying to figure out how to simply create a 500Gb ufs file system named /rec using DiskSuite 4.2.1 on a Solaris 8 platform via command line using two 250Gb partitions on two different disks. Does anyone know what the proper command string and options are to perform this task? Would I use the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruger14
2 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

zfs - migrate from pool to pool

Here are the details. cnjr-opennms>root$ zfs list NAME USED AVAIL REFER MOUNTPOINT openpool 20.6G 46.3G 35.5K /openpool openpool/ROOT 15.4G 46.3G 18K legacy openpool/ROOT/rds 15.4G 46.3G 15.3G / openpool/ROOT/rds/var 102M ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pupp
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

thread creation

#include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <pthread.h> void *fork_thread(void *ptr ); main() { pthread_t thread1; char *message1 = "Thread 1"; int iret1; iret1 = pthread_create( &thread1, NULL, fork_thread, (void*) message1); exit(0); } Void *fork_thread(... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: annapurna konga
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

thread creation

Void *fork_thread( void *ptr ) i am getting error in this line please help me out (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: annapurna konga
1 Replies

6. Solaris

ZFS pool question

I created a pool the other day. I created a 10 gig files just for a test, then deleted it. I proceeded to create a few files systems. But for some reason the pool shows 10% full, but the files systems are both at 1%? Both files systems share the same pool. When I ls -al the pool I just... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
6 Replies

7. Solaris

need some help in resource pool creation

i have server carry more than 50 zone i want to create 2 resource pool assign 40 zone to resource pool number 1 assign 10 zone to resource pool number 2 how can i do that (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coxmanchester
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

thread pool problem

hello everyone. I want to implement a thread pool, with 10 threads most. Inside main,I call a function (lets say it foo) wich creates (if it is needed) or uses an existing thread from the pool and sends it to do a job.My problem is that I dont know how to pass the argument from the main to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: garag11
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about lvm file creation

Hi, I have below code for disk creation disk_list=$(ls /dev/sd) for disk in $disk_list do pvcreate $i done So what my understanding is first it is checking the disk under /dev sdb,sdc,sdd,...sdz whether 25 disk are existing if not then its creating the 25 physical volume. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
4 Replies
pool(3erl)						     Erlang Module Definition							pool(3erl)

NAME
pool - Load Distribution Facility DESCRIPTION
pool can be used to run a set of Erlang nodes as a pool of computational processors. It is organized as a master and a set of slave nodes and includes the following features: * The slave nodes send regular reports to the master about their current load. * Queries can be sent to the master to determine which node will have the least load. The BIF statistics(run_queue) is used for estimating future loads. It returns the length of the queue of ready to run processes in the Erlang runtime system. The slave nodes are started with the slave module. This effects, tty IO, file IO, and code loading. If the master node fails, the entire pool will exit. EXPORTS
start(Name) -> start(Name, Args) -> Nodes Types Name = atom() Args = string() Nodes = [node()] Starts a new pool. The file .hosts.erlang is read to find host names where the pool nodes can be started. See section Files below. The start-up procedure fails if the file is not found. The slave nodes are started with slave:start/2,3 , passing along Name and, if provided, Args . Name is used as the first part of the node names, Args is used to specify command line arguments. See slave(3erl) . Access rights must be set so that all nodes in the pool have the authority to access each other. The function is synchronous and all the nodes, as well as all the system servers, are running when it returns a value. attach(Node) -> already_attached | attached Types Node = node() This function ensures that a pool master is running and includes Node in the pool master's pool of nodes. stop() -> stopped Stops the pool and kills all the slave nodes. get_nodes() -> Nodes Types Nodes = [node()] Returns a list of the current member nodes of the pool. pspawn(Mod, Fun, Args) -> pid() Types Mod = Fun = atom() Args = [term()] Spawns a process on the pool node which is expected to have the lowest future load. pspawn_link(Mod, Fun, Args) -> pid() Types Mod = Fun = atom() Args = [term()] Spawn links a process on the pool node which is expected to have the lowest future load. get_node() -> node() Returns the node with the expected lowest future load. FILES
.hosts.erlang is used to pick hosts where nodes can be started. See net_adm(3erl) for information about format and location of this file. $HOME/.erlang.slave.out.HOST is used for all additional IO that may come from the slave nodes on standard IO. If the start-up procedure does not work, this file may indicate the reason. Ericsson AB stdlib 1.17.3 pool(3erl)