Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Question on creation of Thread pool Post 302115580 by porter on Wednesday 25th of April 2007 05:31:49 PM
Old 04-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radha
i am in a process of creating a multithread pool using
clone() system call in unix with c programming.
Are you sure? You are more likely using clone() on Linux which is not Unix.

I suggest instead of using Linux's clone() you use pthread_create, you will end up with a much more portable solution.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Thread creation in c++

Hi all! Is there a function in c++ to create new threads.I have writen a class "Thread" in which I will be calling this thread function to creat threads. Also is there a function to synchronize threads .I know that we can create objects like semaphores and critical sections to synchronize in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijlak
2 Replies

2. Solaris

DiskSuite 4.2.1 Database creation question

I'm trying to figure out how to simply create a 500Gb ufs file system named /rec using DiskSuite 4.2.1 on a Solaris 8 platform via command line using two 250Gb partitions on two different disks. Does anyone know what the proper command string and options are to perform this task? Would I use the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruger14
2 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

zfs - migrate from pool to pool

Here are the details. cnjr-opennms>root$ zfs list NAME USED AVAIL REFER MOUNTPOINT openpool 20.6G 46.3G 35.5K /openpool openpool/ROOT 15.4G 46.3G 18K legacy openpool/ROOT/rds 15.4G 46.3G 15.3G / openpool/ROOT/rds/var 102M ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pupp
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

thread creation

#include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <pthread.h> void *fork_thread(void *ptr ); main() { pthread_t thread1; char *message1 = "Thread 1"; int iret1; iret1 = pthread_create( &thread1, NULL, fork_thread, (void*) message1); exit(0); } Void *fork_thread(... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: annapurna konga
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

thread creation

Void *fork_thread( void *ptr ) i am getting error in this line please help me out (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: annapurna konga
1 Replies

6. Solaris

ZFS pool question

I created a pool the other day. I created a 10 gig files just for a test, then deleted it. I proceeded to create a few files systems. But for some reason the pool shows 10% full, but the files systems are both at 1%? Both files systems share the same pool. When I ls -al the pool I just... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
6 Replies

7. Solaris

need some help in resource pool creation

i have server carry more than 50 zone i want to create 2 resource pool assign 40 zone to resource pool number 1 assign 10 zone to resource pool number 2 how can i do that (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: coxmanchester
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

thread pool problem

hello everyone. I want to implement a thread pool, with 10 threads most. Inside main,I call a function (lets say it foo) wich creates (if it is needed) or uses an existing thread from the pool and sends it to do a job.My problem is that I dont know how to pass the argument from the main to the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: garag11
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Question about lvm file creation

Hi, I have below code for disk creation disk_list=$(ls /dev/sd) for disk in $disk_list do pvcreate $i done So what my understanding is first it is checking the disk under /dev sdb,sdc,sdd,...sdz whether 25 disk are existing if not then its creating the 25 physical volume. I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stew
4 Replies
GETTID(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 GETTID(2)

NAME
gettid - get thread identification SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> pid_t gettid(void); DESCRIPTION
gettid() returns the caller's thread ID (TID). In a single-threaded process, the thread ID is equal to the process ID (PID, as returned by getpid(2)). In a multithreaded process, all threads have the same PID, but each one has a unique TID. For further details, see the dis- cussion of CLONE_THREAD in clone(2). RETURN VALUE
On success, returns the thread ID of the calling process. ERRORS
This call is always successful. VERSIONS
The gettid() system call first appeared on Linux in kernel 2.4.11. CONFORMING TO
gettid() is Linux-specific and should not be used in programs that are intended to be portable. NOTES
Glibc does not provide a wrapper for this system call; call it using syscall(2). The thread ID returned by this call is not the same thing as a POSIX thread ID (i.e., the opaque value returned by pthread_self(3)). SEE ALSO
clone(2), fork(2), getpid(2) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.25 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2008-04-14 GETTID(2)