Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting separating filename and extension Post 302113451 by Raghuram.P on Friday 6th of April 2007 06:18:35 AM
Old 04-06-2007
HI,
You can get the filename alone excluding the directory using following command
for file in `ls test_suite/*.args`
do
F_NAME=$(basename ${file})
done

Thanks
Raghu
This User Gave Thanks to Raghuram.P For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

filename extension check - regular expression

How to compare the file name for "zip" or "ZIP" extension. I can put one more || condition to check the upper case in the below: if ]; then Is there any better way to compare using regular expressions. Thx in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: devs
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

changing filename extension

Hi All, i need to change the filename extension. For simplicity, we can assume that the extension after '.' is 3 characters only... but the filenames can vary. eg. changing from abc.doc to abc.dxs can i have a oneline command to achieve this (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiso
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script takes the whole filename instead of just extension

I am running my script from "/abc/" this path and it has no ".csv files" but has a ".txt" files namely temp1.txt My script goes as below, wherein it is suppose to find files with *.txt extension and *.csv extension in another path namely "/abc/xyz/": #!/bin/ksh PATH1="/abc/xyz/" value="*.csv... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: wolverine999
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut filename extension

I need a small script (sh) to remove in a variable the filename extension. Example: f = "testfile.txt" and I need a $a with "testfile". Some one a idea? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Essbaumer
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting filename with entire path without extension

Hi Experts, need one help.. m writing a shell script for which i need the entire path of the file but without its extension. running the below script gives error at the statement DIR = `dirname $FILE` --command not found. #!/bin/bash jar xvf *jar for FILE in `find . -name "*.class"` ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: amicableperson
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

removing the filename extension

Is there an easy way to strip off a filename's extension? For example, here's a filename: blahblahblah.thisisok.thisisnotok I want to get rid of .thisisnotok from the filename, so that what's left is blahblahblah.thisisok Thanks. I have a directory full of filenames that need to be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: daflore
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to add extension to filename

Hi all, I have a folder with a bunch of files in them, and I would like to add an extension (.mp3)to all these filenames. The folder has only files that I'd like .mp3 added to. It looks something like this: Intput: File1 File2 File3Output: File1.mp3 File2.mp3 File3.mp3Thanks in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: repiv
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename all files (filename with spaces) to different extension

Hi, I have files with filenames as below. SGM Daily Sales Email-en-us-05312012.xlwa I want to rename it in .xls. I am writing a script to change this, as there can be multiple files in subfolders. I have the following script. #!/bin/ksh for oldfile in $(find... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get latest filename without extension

I need to write a shell script to display the output of ls command like this ls -ltr *txt I get this -rw-r----- 1 oracle dba 51912704 Dec 11 10:27 /usr/local/sam/test12112012101247AM.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 oracle dba 7 Dec 11 11:58 /usr/local/sam/test.txt but I just need the latest... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumang24
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] Getting a filename its extension

Heyas As i often have decide things upon a filename its extension, i thought i'd write a script: Just wondering if there would be a more efficent way? out="" FN=$( echo "$1" | sed s," ","",g) # Remove any spaces and make it a single string for chance in $(echo "$FN"|sed s,"\."," ",g) # Use... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
7 Replies
File::Basename(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				       File::Basename(3pm)

NAME
File::Basename - Parse file paths into directory, filename and suffix. SYNOPSIS
use File::Basename; ($name,$path,$suffix) = fileparse($fullname,@suffixlist); $name = fileparse($fullname,@suffixlist); $basename = basename($fullname,@suffixlist); $dirname = dirname($fullname); DESCRIPTION
These routines allow you to parse file paths into their directory, filename and suffix. NOTE: "dirname()" and "basename()" emulate the behaviours, and quirks, of the shell and C functions of the same name. See each function's documentation for details. If your concern is just parsing paths it is safer to use File::Spec's "splitpath()" and "splitdir()" methods. It is guaranteed that # Where $path_separator is / for Unix, for Windows, etc... dirname($path) . $path_separator . basename($path); is equivalent to the original path for all systems but VMS. "fileparse" my($filename, $directories, $suffix) = fileparse($path); my($filename, $directories, $suffix) = fileparse($path, @suffixes); my $filename = fileparse($path, @suffixes); The "fileparse()" routine divides a file path into its $directories, $filename and (optionally) the filename $suffix. $directories contains everything up to and including the last directory separator in the $path including the volume (if applicable). The remainder of the $path is the $filename. # On Unix returns ("baz", "/foo/bar/", "") fileparse("/foo/bar/baz"); # On Windows returns ("baz", "C:fooar", "") fileparse("C:fooaraz"); # On Unix returns ("", "/foo/bar/baz/", "") fileparse("/foo/bar/baz/"); If @suffixes are given each element is a pattern (either a string or a "qr//") matched against the end of the $filename. The matching portion is removed and becomes the $suffix. # On Unix returns ("baz", "/foo/bar/", ".txt") fileparse("/foo/bar/baz.txt", qr/.[^.]*/); If type is non-Unix (see "fileparse_set_fstype()") then the pattern matching for suffix removal is performed case-insensitively, since those systems are not case-sensitive when opening existing files. You are guaranteed that "$directories . $filename . $suffix" will denote the same location as the original $path. "basename" my $filename = basename($path); my $filename = basename($path, @suffixes); This function is provided for compatibility with the Unix shell command basename(1). It does NOT always return the file name portion of a path as you might expect. To be safe, if you want the file name portion of a path use "fileparse()". "basename()" returns the last level of a filepath even if the last level is clearly directory. In effect, it is acting like "pop()" for paths. This differs from "fileparse()"'s behaviour. # Both return "bar" basename("/foo/bar"); basename("/foo/bar/"); @suffixes work as in "fileparse()" except all regex metacharacters are quoted. # These two function calls are equivalent. my $filename = basename("/foo/bar/baz.txt", ".txt"); my $filename = fileparse("/foo/bar/baz.txt", qr/Q.txtE/); Also note that in order to be compatible with the shell command, "basename()" does not strip off a suffix if it is identical to the remaining characters in the filename. "dirname" This function is provided for compatibility with the Unix shell command dirname(1) and has inherited some of its quirks. In spite of its name it does NOT always return the directory name as you might expect. To be safe, if you want the directory name of a path use "fileparse()". Only on VMS (where there is no ambiguity between the file and directory portions of a path) and AmigaOS (possibly due to an implementation quirk in this module) does "dirname()" work like "fileparse($path)", returning just the $directories. # On VMS and AmigaOS my $directories = dirname($path); When using Unix or MSDOS syntax this emulates the dirname(1) shell function which is subtly different from how "fileparse()" works. It returns all but the last level of a file path even if the last level is clearly a directory. In effect, it is not returning the directory portion but simply the path one level up acting like "chop()" for file paths. Also unlike "fileparse()", "dirname()" does not include a trailing slash on its returned path. # returns /foo/bar. fileparse() would return /foo/bar/ dirname("/foo/bar/baz"); # also returns /foo/bar despite the fact that baz is clearly a # directory. fileparse() would return /foo/bar/baz/ dirname("/foo/bar/baz/"); # returns '.'. fileparse() would return 'foo/' dirname("foo/"); Under VMS, if there is no directory information in the $path, then the current default device and directory is used. "fileparse_set_fstype" my $type = fileparse_set_fstype(); my $previous_type = fileparse_set_fstype($type); Normally File::Basename will assume a file path type native to your current operating system (ie. /foo/bar style on Unix, fooar on Windows, etc...). With this function you can override that assumption. Valid $types are "MacOS", "VMS", "AmigaOS", "OS2", "RISCOS", "MSWin32", "DOS" (also "MSDOS" for backwards bug compatibility), "Epoc" and "Unix" (all case-insensitive). If an unrecognized $type is given "Unix" will be assumed. If you've selected VMS syntax, and the file specification you pass to one of these routines contains a "/", they assume you are using Unix emulation and apply the Unix syntax rules instead, for that function call only. SEE ALSO
dirname(1), basename(1), File::Spec perl v5.12.1 2010-04-26 File::Basename(3pm)