Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cannot do this simple thing
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Cannot do this simple thing Post 302113313 by johnf on Thursday 5th of April 2007 02:30:09 AM
Old 04-05-2007
try shift a that should do it.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dumb thing to do

I'm writing for a friend. He has a SPARC system at home that has Solaris 7 on it. He did not yet create a user on it and has not set the CONSOLE to allow the root user to log in remotely. Now, something happened and the system will not even boot to the Boot PROM. How can he get into the system... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: danh
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

very simple shell thing..

set a = 5 set b = a echo $b a // will print a I want to get echo ${$b} // something expression like this to get value of 'a' by accessing the value of b. 5 ie. fetching the value of a with the inputs of b ( frm b --thro a ---5) Is it possible to execute something like this? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sskb
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shortcut thing?

Hey, im new to Linux...totally new. I know there is a way to assign a type of variable or something to a directory, so instead of having to type "cd /var/www" etc, I could just assign a variable to the directory, so I could just do "cd $assignedvar" and it would be there...if you get what I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mo0ness
0 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Ok another small thing if anyone knows...

Hi i wanna change the look of my terminal. For example i wanted a black background and like a cyan colored text so it stands out against the black. Is there anyway i can do this?. I am running Mac OSX if that helps any at all (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corrail
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep related thing

Is there any way i can use grep to do this I have file which is continuously growing,I want grep to star search from say line number 1210 is that possible. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aliahsan81
5 Replies

6. Ubuntu

need some help on this jolicloud thing??PLease help !!!!

i am not used to linux ubuntu... i get the same error code while booting from jolicloud.... can you help, please??????? i can't directly installed it because everytime i tried it, installation panel freezes, so i waited and it booted from live cd.... i tried to install jolicloud... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cemdede@hotmail
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference between two cmmands that did the same thing

Hello everybody, Can you please help me unerstand the difference between: # grep word_we_are_looking_for /directory/file and # more /directory/file |grep word_we_are_looking_for I know that the result is the same. Thank you for your help. Please use next time code tags for your... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: adilyos
5 Replies
OPENVT(1)							     Linux 1.x								 OPENVT(1)

NAME
openvt - start a program on a new virtual terminal (VT). SYNOPSIS
openvt [-c vtnumber] [-s] [-u] [-l] [-v] [--] command command_options DESCRIPTION
openvt will find the first available VT, and run on it the given command with the given command options, standard input, output and error are directed to that terminal. The current search path ($PATH) is used to find the requested command. If no command is specified then the environment variable $SHELL is used. OPTIONS -c vtnumber Use the given VT number and not the first available. Note you must have write access to the supplied VT for this to work. -s Switch to the new VT when starting the command. The VT of the new command will be made the new current VT. -u Figure out the owner of the current VT, and run login as that user. Suitable to be called by init. Shouldn't be used with -c or -l. -l Make the command a login shell. A - is prepended to the name of the command to be executed. -v Be a bit more verbose. -w wait for command to complete. If -w and -s are used together then openvt will switch back to the controlling terminal when the com- mand completes. -- end of options to openvt. NOTE
If openvt is compiled with a POSIX (GNU) getopt() and you wish to set options to the command to be run, then you must supply the end of options -- flag before the command. EXAMPLES
openvt can be used to start a shell on the next free VT, by using the command: openvt bash To start the shell as a login shell, use: openvt -l bash To get a long listing you must supply the -- separator: openvt -- ls -l HISTORY
Earlier, openvt was called open. It was written by Jon Tombs <jon@gtex02.us.es or jon@robots.ox.ac.uk>. The -w idea is from "sam". SEE ALSO
chvt(1), doshell(8), login(1) 19 Jul 1996 V1.4 OPENVT(1)