Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unix Shell Scripting Standards Post 302112715 by cfajohnson on Thursday 29th of March 2007 05:22:29 PM
Old 03-29-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim mcnamara
It will probably work if /bin/ksh is a link to zsh. This is common on a lot of our Linux boxes here.

On most Linux distros I've used, /bin/ksh is pdksh, which differs from the standard AT&T ksh in some important respects.
Quote:
What CFA J & I are telling you is that the best practice is to use the magic at the top of your script.

Actually, I am not saying that. A shebang is usually unnecessary, and reduces the portablility of a script.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Coding Standards

Hi, I am looking for some coding standards for Unix Shell Scripting. Can anyone help me out in this? Regards, Himanshu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: himanshu_s
3 Replies

2. UNIX IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (POSIX.1)

Link to the Open Group (UNIX Standards)

Click HERE to learn about The Single UNIX Specification, Version 3 Or: Here is another link to the UNIX IEEE Standard, an Open Group Technical Standard, Issue 7 Keywords UNIX® is a registered trademark of The Open Group (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

3. Programming

UNIX version standards

I'm new to UNIX programming. I'm used to starting my program's versions at 1.0, but I look at all the UNIX programs out there and see things like 0.000.1 or 3.3.000 and I'm wondering what these things really mean. Do people just type anything they feel in there? Are things in pre-release... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hirni
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix shell scripting

Hi, we are writing this fields dynamically retrieved from database and writing into the file. $bmpRec = $bmpRec.'|'.$cust_id; # sp4 $bmpRec = $bmpRec.'|'.$serv_id; # sp5 $bmpRec = $bmpRec.'|'.$site_id; # sp6 $bmpRec = $bmpRec.'|'.$loc_id; # sp7 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maruthi Kunnuru
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Shell Scripting

Hi All, Greetings!! I am trying to write a script that will get me the syslog.log file output of last week... That is ...my cron will run on Monday and will get me the syslog output of previous week , last monday-last sunday. I tried using date formatting and tail..but did not succeed.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: premamadhuri
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need your Help on Unix Shell Scripting.........

Hi Friends, 1. Bash Shell Scrpt to take backup at evening 2. I need a bash shell script for killing all processes. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayraj
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Secure coding standards for Shell Programming

Hi, Can anyone point me to Secure coding standards for shell programming guides, links etc etc... Thanks and regards, Vamsi K Surampalli. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamsisurampalli
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Shell Scripting( Calling from Unix to PLSQL)

Hello Experts, I have the following questions to be discussed here at this esteemed discussion forum. I have two Excel sheets which contain Unix Commands llike creating directory the structure/ftp/Copy/Zip etc to basically create an environment. I need help in understanding some of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: faizsaadq
1 Replies
Mail::Message::Construct::Text(3pm)			User Contributed Perl Documentation		       Mail::Message::Construct::Text(3pm)

NAME
Mail::Message::Construct::Text - capture a Mail::Message as text SYNOPSIS
my $text = $msg->string; my $text = "$msg"; # via overload my @text = $msg->lines; my @text = @$lines; # via overload my $fh = $msg->file; my $line = <$fh>; $msg->printStructure; DESCRIPTION
Complex functionality on Mail::Message objects is implemented in different files which are autoloaded. This file implements the functionality related to creating message replies. METHODS
The whole message as text $obj->file() Returns the message as file-handle. $obj->lines() Returns the whole message as set of lines. In LIST context, copies of the lines are returned. In SCALAR context, a reference to an array of lines is returned. $obj->printStructure([FILEHANDLE|undef],[INDENT]) Print the structure of a message to the specified FILEHANDLE or the selected filehandle. When explicitly "undef" is specified as handle, then the output will be returned as string. The message's subject and the types of all composing parts are displayed. INDENT specifies the initial indentation string: it is added in front of each line. The INDENT must contain at least one white-space. example: my $msg = ...; $msg->printStructure(*OUTPUT); $msg->printStructure; my $struct = $msg->printStructure(undef); # Possible output for one message: multipart/mixed: forwarded message from Pietje Puk (1550 bytes) text/plain (164 bytes) message/rfc822 (1043 bytes) multipart/alternative: A multipart alternative (942 bytes) text/plain (148 bytes, deleted) text/html (358 bytes) $obj->string() Returns the whole message as string. Flags SEE ALSO
This module is part of Mail-Box distribution version 2.105, built on May 07, 2012. Website: http://perl.overmeer.net/mailbox/ LICENSE
Copyrights 2001-2012 by [Mark Overmeer]. For other contributors see ChangeLog. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. See http://www.perl.com/perl/misc/Artistic.html perl v5.14.2 2012-05-07 Mail::Message::Construct::Text(3pm)