Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting [Urgent]how to print the file names into a txt file??? Post 302109984 by ghostdog74 on Friday 9th of March 2007 09:04:55 AM
Old 03-09-2007
Code:
ls -1 > file.txt

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed script to print a value from txt file

Hello guys, I would appreciate if someone can help me to write a shell script using sed. From a larget text file I need to print a fixed value of a word. In another words whenever it finds that word, it needs to grab the other line containing "dn" and prints its value. For example: dn:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmontr
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

print all even lines of a txt file

In other news, I have a colors text file with hundreds of lines, and I want to print only the even numbered lines. for example I have this file looks something like this: ALLCOLORS.TXT red red green red blue red red red green red red blue green green green blue blue blue red blue blue blue... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Urgent Need Help! Merging lines in .txt file

I need to write a script that reads through an input .txt file and replaces the end value with the end value of the next line for lines that have distance <=4000. The first label line is not actually in the input. In the below example, 3217 is the distance from the end of the first line to the... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: awknerd
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding consecutive numbers in version names on a txt file

Hi all. I have a directory which contains files that can be versioned. All the files are named according to a pattern like this: TEXTSTRING1-001.EXTENSION TEXTSTRING2-001.EXTENSION TEXTSTRING3-001.EXTENSION ... TEXTSTRINGn-001.EXTENSION If a file is versioned, a file called ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: fox1212
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print numbers along with file names.

Hi All, I have some thousand files with names like 1.syl, 2.syl, 5.syl etc. These files contain one sentence each. I want to store all those sentences along with the file ID that is 1, 2, 5 with the sentences they contain. For example, 1.syl has this is a test line 2.syl has ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to print value from txt file to csv

Hi, I want to print two columns from a .txt file to a .csv file using awk. data in text file: Application -------------------------------------------------- ----------- OS Related Issues 1 EMEA Solutions ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: prashu_g
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete files whose file names are listed in a .txt file

hi, I need a help. I used this command to list all the log files which are for more than 10 days to a text file. find /usr/script_test -type f -mtime +10>>/usr/ftprm.txt I want all these files listed in the ftprm.txt to be ftp in another machine and then rm the files. Anyone can help me... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamaldev
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print file names in a loop

OS : RHEL 6.1 Shell : Bash I have lots of files in /tmp/stage directory as show below. Using a loop, I need to print all the filenames in this directory except those ending with a number. How can I do this ? # pwd /tmp/stage # # # ls -l * -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 0 Oct 7 18:38 stmt1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kraljic
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

**URGENT ** : Comparing the pattern of the file names in 2 different directories

Hi, I have got a requirement for which i need your help. The following problem is required to get solved in PERL SCRIPT. Here is the requirement. There are 4 folders say SRC_DIR1, SRC_DIR2 and TGT_DIR_1,TGT_DIR_2 (Note: both path of SRC_DIR1 & SRC_DIR2 are different but both path of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shadow_fawkes
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print the output with different file names

I have a python script that gives output called test.png. By using the following command I run the script every 2 seconds. What is the easiest way to save the output as follows ( test.png (1st output), tes1.png (second output), tes2.png ....) Command I i use while sleep 2; do python... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
1 Replies
FOLDER(1)                                                            [nmh-1.5]                                                           FOLDER(1)

NAME
folder, folders - set/list current folder/message SYNOPSIS
folder [+folder] [msg] [-all | -noall] [-create | -nocreate] [-fast | -nofast] [-header | -noheader] [-recurse | -norecurse] [-total | -nototal] [-list | -nolist] [-push | -pop] [-pack | -nopack] [-print] [-verbose | -noverbose] [-version] [-help] folders is equivalent to folder -all DESCRIPTION
Since the nmh environment is the shell, it is easy to lose track of the current folder from day to day. When folder is given the -print switch (the default), folder will list the current folder, the number of messages in it, the range of the messages (low-high), and the cur- rent message within the folder, and will flag extra files if they exist. An example of this summary is: inbox+ has 16 messages ( 3- 22); cur= 5. If a +folder and/or msg are specified, they will become the current folder and/or message. By comparison, when a +folder argument is given, this corresponds to a "cd" operation in the shell; when no +folder argument is given, this corresponds roughly to a "pwd" operation in the shell. If the specified (or default) folder doesn't exist, the default action is to query the user as to whether the folder should be created; when standard input is not a tty, the answer to the query is assumed to be "yes". Specifying -create will cause folder to create new folders without any query. (This is the easy way to create an empty folder for use later.) Specifying -nocreate will cause folder to exit without creating a non-existant folder. Multiple Folders Specifying -all will produce a summary line for each top-level folder in the user's nmh directory, sorted alphabetically. (If folder is invoked by a name ending with "s" (e.g. folders), -all is assumed). Specifying -recurse with -all will also produce a line for all sub- folders. These folders are all preceded by the read-only folders, which occur as "atr-cur-" entries in the user's nmh context. For exam- ple: FOLDER # MESSAGES RANGE CUR (OTHERS) /var/work/folder has 35 messages ( 1- 35); cur=23. /usr/bugs/Mail has 82 messages ( 1-108); cur=82. ff has no messages. inbox+ has 16 messages ( 3- 22); cur= 5. mh has 76 messages (15- 76); cur=70. notes has 2 messages ( 1- 2); cur= 1. ucom has 124 messages ( 1-124); cur= 6; (others). TOTAL = 339 messages in 7 folders The "+" after inbox indicates that it is the current folder. The "(others)" indicates that the folder ucom has files which aren't mes- sages. These files may either be sub-folders, or files that don't belong under the nmh file naming scheme. The header is output if either a -all or a -header switch is specified. It is suppressed by -noheader. The folder and message totals are output if either a -all or a -total switch is specified. It is suppressed by -nototal. If -fast is given, only the folder name (or names in the case of -all) will be listed. (This is faster because the folders need not be read.) If a +folder is given along with the -all switch, folder will, in addition to setting the current folder, list the top-level subfolders for the current folder (with -norecurse) or list all sub-folders under the current folder recursively (with -recurse). If msg is supplied, together with +folder or without -all, it will become the current message of +folder (if it had been supplied) or the current folder. The -recurse switch lists each folder recursively, so use of this option effectively defeats the speed enhancement of the -fast option, since each folder must be searched for subfolders. Nevertheless, the combination of these options is useful. Compacting a Folder The -pack switch will compress the message names in the designated folders, removing holes in message numbering. The -verbose switch directs folder to tell the user the general actions that it is taking to compress the folder. The Folder Stack The -push switch directs folder to push the current folder onto the folder-stack, and make the +folder argument the current folder. If +folder is not given, the current folder and the top of the folder-stack are exchanged. This corresponds to the "pushd" operation in the shell. The -pop switch directs folder to discard the top of the folder-stack, after setting the current folder to that value. No +folder argument is allowed. This corresponds to the "popd" operation in the shell. The -push switch and the -pop switch are mutually exclusive: the last occurrence of either one overrides any previous occurrence of the other. Both of these switches also set -list by default. The -list switch directs folder to list the contents of the folder-stack. No +folder argument is allowed. After a successful -push or -pop, the -list action is taken, unless a -nolist switch follows them on the command line. This corresponds to the "dirs" operation in the shell. The -push, -pop, and -list switches turn off -print. FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Current-Folder: To find the default current folder Folder-Protect: To set mode when creating a new folder Folder-Stack: To determine the folder stack SEE ALSO
refile(1), mhpath(1) DEFAULTS
`+folder' defaults to the current folder `msg' defaults to none `-nofast' `-noheader' `-nototal' `-nopack' `-norecurse' `-noverbose' `-print' is the default if no -list, -push, or -pop is specified `-list' is the default if -push, or -pop is specified CONTEXT
If +folder and/or msg are given, they will become the current folder and/or message. BUGS
There is no way to restore the default behavior (to ask the user whether to create a non-existant folder) after -create or -nocreate is given. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 FOLDER(1)