Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting The difference between $(command) and `command` Post 302109909 by matrixmadhan on Thursday 8th of March 2007 11:11:49 PM
Old 03-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfajohnson
It does allow nesting, but the inner backticks must be escaped.
I was of the notion, nesting of backticks is not possible,

as said escaping the inner backticks worked,

Code:
head `ls -1 \`echo "abhead"  |sed 's/^..//'\``

Thanks! Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

difference between ls -b and ls command

hi anyone please tell me what is the difference between ls -b command and ls command. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sathish2win
1 Replies

2. Solaris

difference between pkginfo and pkgchk command

can anyone explain me the difference between pkginfo and pkgchk command in solaris. Both are used to display the package details, then what is the difference between both. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
5 Replies

3. Programming

Difference between cp and mv linux command

Hi, I am facing one problem only with mv command not with cp command. I have a test program #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <sys/mount.h> #include <fcntl.h> #include <errno.h> int sync_file(char *file) { FILE *fp=NULL;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dharshini123
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference in command syntax different shells

hi, i am aa unix amateur and i am using tsh, csh and bash most of the time. i have been looking over the net to find a summary of the differences in command syntax for example: in csh and tsh you do alias whatday date while in bash and ksh you do alias whatday=date i just want more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hobiwhenuknowme
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

which command difference

What is the difference between (unix-system “which ) and which commands. For example when I use the (unix-system “which visual_elite) command I get the following result: /home/vhdl/edatools/mentor/visualelite/VisualElite-4.2.1/Linux2.4/bin/visual_elite When I do the same on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mihaelab
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

command difference - find

Hi, What is the difference between these two? find /some_dir -type f -exec chmod 070 {} \; and chmod 070 `find /some_dir -type f` Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lamont
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's the difference between print and printf in command?

For example, in this command: ls /etc/rc0.d/ -print ls /etc/rc0.d/ -printfThe outputs are quite different, why? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Henryyy
7 Replies

8. Solaris

Difference between fuser and lsof command

Hi, Can anyone explain me the difference between fsuer and lsof commands. As per my knowledge both the commands are used to find the processes used by the current file system or user. Apart from that what is the major difference between these commands (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rogerben
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain difference of tar command

Hello All, I have been seeing a weird(at least for me, at this point) issue with a specific tar command. 1st fashion) Normally, if i have to tar anything at the command line I tend to use tar -cvzf <tar-file_name.tgz> <directory_to_be_tarred> this command works perfectly fine with out... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: getnetha
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the difference in this two awk command?

What is the difference in these two awk command? Both returns same output but I am not sure what is the use of +0 in command 1. awk -F "," '{print $1+0,$2+0,$3+0}' awk -F "," '{print $1, $2, $3}' (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: later_troy
3 Replies
cut(1)								   User Commands							    cut(1)

NAME
cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file]... cut -c list [file]... cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file]... DESCRIPTION
Use the cut utility to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file; in data base parlance, it implements the projection of a relation. The fields as specified by list can be fixed length, that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option) or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a field delimiter character like TAB (-f option). cut can be used as a filter. Either the -b, -c, or -f option must be specified. Use grep(1) to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or paste(1) to put files together column-wise (that is, horizontally). To reorder columns in a table, use cut and paste. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: list A comma-separated or blank-character-separated list of integer field numbers (in increasing order), with optional - to indi- cate ranges (for instance, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10); or 3- (short for third through last field)). -b list The list following -b specifies byte positions (for instance, -b1-72 would pass the first 72 bytes of each line). When -b and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -c list The list following -c specifies character positions (for instance, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line). -d delim The character following -d is the field delimiter (-f option only). Default is tab. Space or other characters with special meaning to the shell must be quoted. delim can be a multi-byte character. -f list The list following -f is a list of fields assumed to be separated in the file by a delimiter character (see -d ); for instance, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only. Lines with no field delimiters will be passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified. -n Do not split characters. When -b list and -n are used together, list is adjusted so that no multi-byte character is split. -s Suppresses lines with no delimiter characters in case of -f option. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters will be passed through untouched. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file A path name of an input file. If no file operands are specified, or if a file operand is -, the standard input will be used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of cut when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte (2^31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1 Mapping user IDs A mapping of user IDs to names follows: example% cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd Example 2 Setting current login name To set name to current login name: example$ name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d' '` ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of cut: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE, LC_MES- SAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were output successfully. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |Enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
grep(1), paste(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) DIAGNOSTICS
cut: -n may only be used with -b cut: -d may only be used with -f cut: -s may only be used with -f cut: cannot open <file> Either file cannot be read or does not exist. If multiple files are present, processing continues. cut: no delimiter specified Missing delim on -d option. cut: invalid delimiter cut: no list specified Missing list on -b, -c, or -f option. cut: invalid range specifier cut: too many ranges specified cut: range must be increasing cut: invalid character in range cut: internal error processing input cut: invalid multibyte character cut: unable to allocate enough memory SunOS 5.11 29 Apr 1999 cut(1)