Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting regular expression for MAC address validation Post 302109834 by matrixmadhan on Thursday 8th of March 2007 08:47:16 AM
Old 03-08-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdog74
if you use the sed solution: an eg

Code:
result=`var=`echo 00:60:08:C4:99:@ | sed -n "/^\([0-9A-Z][0-9A-Z]:\)\{5\}[0-9A-Z][0-9A-Z]$/p"``
if [ -z $result ]; then
fi

-z checks for empty string
You cannot really use nested backticks! Smilie

use this,
Code:
result=$( echo 00:60:08:C4:99:12 | sed -n "/^\([0-9A-Z][0-9A-Z]:\)\{5\}[0-9A-Z][0-9A-Z]$/p" )
if [ -z $result ]; then
  echo $result
fi

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular Expression + Aritmetical Expression

Is it possible to combine a regular expression with a aritmetical expression? For example, taking a 8-numbers caracter sequece and casting each output of a grep, comparing to a constant. THX! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Z0mby
2 Replies

2. IP Networking

How to Achive IP address through MAC(Ethernet) address

Hi sir, i want to make such programe which takes MAC(Ethernet) address of any host & give me its IP address....... but i'm nt getting that how i can pass the MAC address to Frame........ Please give me an idea for making such program... Thanks & regards Krishna (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishnacins
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

IP address validation function

Hi does anybody have a ksh/sh/bash function that i can embed into my script that i could use to validate an inputted IP address, I tried using one big long regular expression but it got very long and complicated ie #!/bin/ksh echo " Please enter your IP address" read IP ---some function... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

4. Linux

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" .... i need regular expression

Regular expression to extract "y" from "abc/x.y.z" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rag84dec
2 Replies

5. IP Networking

Tracing a MAC address to IP address: Solaris

Hi there I lost connectivity to one of our remote systems and when I checked the messages log I found the following: Aug 10 23:42:34 host xntpd: time reset (step) 1.681729 s Aug 16 13:20:51 host ip: WARNING: node "mac address" is using our IP address x.x.x.x on aggr1 Aug 16 13:20:51 host... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: notreallyhere
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Integer expression expected: with regular expression

CA_RELEASE has a value of 6. I need to check if that this is a numeric value. if not error. source $CA_VERSION_DATA if * ] then echo "CA_RELESE $CA_RELEASE is invalid" exit -1 fi + source /etc/ncgl/ca_version_data ++ CA_PRODUCT_ID=samxts ++ CA_RELEASE=6 ++ CA_WEEK_NO=7 ++... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ketkee1985
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regular expression to extract ipv6 address

Hi all , I have a string in my weblog xheader v6-day-2011:xx:yy:zz:qq:qq:ww:ee:rr My requirement is to lookup the sting v6-day-2011 in this header and if found would like to extract the V6 ip part . v6-day-2011 is always constant for a ipv6 entry so i would like to extract every thing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jambesh
4 Replies

8. Programming

Perl: How to read from a file, do regular expression and then replace the found regular expression

Hi all, How am I read a file, find the match regular expression and overwrite to the same files. open DESTINATION_FILE, "<tmptravl.dat" or die "tmptravl.dat"; open NEW_DESTINATION_FILE, ">new_tmptravl.dat" or die "new_tmptravl.dat"; while (<DESTINATION_FILE>) { # print... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jessy83
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

sed: -e expression #1, char 0: no previous regular expression

Hello All, I'm trying to extract the lines between two consecutive elements of an array from a file. My array looks like: problem_arr=(PRS111 PRS213 PRS234) j=0 while } ] do k=`expr $j + 1` sed -n "/${problem_arr}/,/${problem_arr}/p" problemid.txt ---some operation goes... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: InduInduIndu
11 Replies

10. IP Networking

MAC Address - Four Interfaces with the same MAC Address

four interfaces with ifconfig all interfaces have the same mac. If is not set for unique. but it still works. what difference does it make to have all macs the same or different? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrodgers
4 Replies
MYSQL_FETCH_ROW(3)							 1							MYSQL_FETCH_ROW(3)

mysql_fetch_row - Get a result row as an enumerated array

SYNOPSIS
Warning This extension is deprecated as of PHP 5.5.0, and will be removed in the future. Instead, the MySQLi or PDO_MySQL extension should be used. See also MySQL: choosing an API guide and related FAQ for more information. Alternatives to this function include: omysqli_fetch_row(3) o PDOStatement::fetch array mysql_fetch_row (resource $result) DESCRIPTION
Returns a numerical array that corresponds to the fetched row and moves the internal data pointer ahead. o $ result -The result resource that is being evaluated. This result comes from a call to mysql_query(3). Returns an numerical array of strings that corresponds to the fetched row, or FALSE if there are no more rows. mysql_fetch_row(3) fetches one row of data from the result associated with the specified result identifier. The row is returned as an array. Each result column is stored in an array offset, starting at offset 0. Example #1 Fetching one row with mysql_fetch_row(3) <?php $result = mysql_query("SELECT id,email FROM people WHERE id = '42'"); if (!$result) { echo 'Could not run query: ' . mysql_error(); exit; } $row = mysql_fetch_row($result); echo $row[0]; // 42 echo $row[1]; // the email value ?> Note This function sets NULL fields to the PHP NULL value. mysql_fetch_array(3), mysql_fetch_assoc(3), mysql_fetch_object(3), mysql_data_seek(3), mysql_fetch_lengths(3), mysql_result(3). PHP Documentation Group MYSQL_FETCH_ROW(3)