Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: serial console hangs
Operating Systems HP-UX serial console hangs Post 302109726 by porter on Wednesday 7th of March 2007 03:57:22 PM
Old 03-07-2007
Try a similar problem described here.

Problem there was the client terminal emulator, not the cable.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

Installing via serial console

I'm stuck - when I boot the machine and hit 5 on the keyboard, all I get is an SP login. Can someone give me some tips on how to get to the install via the serial port? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tb0ne
2 Replies

2. Solaris

start /SP/console hangs in X4500

when I type start /SP/console... the console shows up but i cannot type anything over there. I do not understand what might be the reason for that. -> start /SP/console Are you sure you want to start /SP/console (y/n)? y Serial console started. To stop, type ESC ( I pressed enter many... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: bharu_sri
8 Replies

3. Solaris

script hangs when outputing to /dev/console

I am running solaris 8 on a sparcs box. The system is connected to a lightwave console server. I have a script that hangs when sending output to '/dev/console'. Any ideas? -V (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vada010
2 Replies

4. OS X (Apple)

Use a Serial Console with Mac OS X Leopard

I'm trying to use an old Commodore 128D as a terminal to access OS X's shell via a serial port. I've used 'screen' and 'zterm' to ensure the two machines are successfully interfaced. Instructions for opening up the serial console on other Unix-y operating systems don't work with OS X Leopard. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: joecassara
3 Replies

5. AIX

SSH login hangs, serial console works

Server, running AIX 6.1 developed strange problem when logging in via SSH -- ssh client hangs without any error. It is possible to run commands on server, using ssh ("ssh servername ls -l" is OK) It is possible to log in normally, using serial console connected to server. It was possible to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ivar.zarans
2 Replies

6. Solaris

PPPD on ttya with serial console...?

Hi. I am very very new to Solaris. I found an abandoned Sun Blade 150. I created a 3-wire null modem cable, connected it to an abandoned laptop and successfully installed Solaris 10 using the serial port. This laptop doesn't have ethernet. So I want to establish a PPP connection. Part of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neutronscott
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

IP Console Vs Serial console.

Hi Gurus, Can some one explain me the difference between a IP console and a serial console. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rama krishna
1 Replies

8. Solaris

How to setup a serial console?

i am running solaris 10 in my vmware workstation. How to setup a console for my solaris box. in Vmware i could see a serial port option. can some one help me on how i can setup a console . (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

$ Prompt on Serial console is not responding.

Hi Experts. i have been stuck up with an issue. i have connected my Solaris 8 , Sun fire V445 on serial port by using Teraterm. Initially i was able to login and executed some tasks. After executing some commands (mainly Control +c), i am not able to type any key or not able to do anything at... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siddulamadhu
2 Replies
sulogin(1M)						  System Administration Commands					       sulogin(1M)

NAME
sulogin - access single-user mode SYNOPSIS
sulogin DESCRIPTION
The sulogin utility is automatically invoked by init when the system is first started. It prompts the user to type the root password to enter system maintenance mode (single-user mode) or to type EOF (typically <CTRL-D>) for normal startup (multi-user mode). The user should never directly invoke sulogin. The sulogin utility can prompt the user to enter the root password on a variable number of serial console devices, in addition to the tra- ditional console device. See consadm(1M) and msglog(7D) for a description of how to configure a serial device to display the single-user login prompt. FILES
/etc/default/sulogin Default value can be set for the following flag: PASSREQ Determines if login requires a password. Default is PASSREQ=YES. /etc/default/login Default value can be set for the following flag: SLEEPTIME If present, sets the number of seconds to wait before login failure is printed to the screen and another login attempt is allowed. Default is 4 seconds. Minimum is 0 seconds. Maximum is 5 seconds. Both su(1M) and login(1) are affected by the value of SLEEPTIME. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsr | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
login(1), consadm(1M), init(1M), su(1M), attributes(5), msglog(7D) SunOS 5.10 25 Sep 2002 sulogin(1M)