Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Perl code to differentiate numeric and non-numeric input Post 302109145 by cbkihong on Saturday 3rd of March 2007 08:22:26 PM
Old 03-03-2007
The most common way:
Use regular expression.

Alternative (probably a better) way:
Code:
cbkihong@cbkihong:~$ perl -MScalar::Util -e 
'print(Scalar::Util::looks_like_number("-8.90e10")?"Looks like a number.\n":"Not a number.\n")'
Looks like a number.
cbkihong@cbkihong:~$ perl -MScalar::Util -e 
'print(Scalar::Util::looks_like_number("89d")?"Looks like a number.\n":"Not a number.\n")'
Not a number.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check for a valid numeric input

Hi Folks, I'm using bash script. I would like to check whether input is a number or not.(Only positive numbers).. if space or non numeric is entered, it should say "invalid input". pls help.. thanks in adv. Br/// Vijay. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vijayakumarpc
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

validating a input file for numeric and character

i have a input file like this 001|rahim|bajaj|20090102 while reading the file i need to check whether the first column is a number second column is a name is there any methodology to check for the same thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check for Numeric output in Perl

Hi All, I would like to convert my below csh script to Perl. Can any expert help ? # To check for numeric input set tested1 = `echo "$tested"| awk '/^+$/'`; # To remove un-neccessary zeros set tested2 = `echo "$tested"|awk '{print $0+0}'`; (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking input for being numeric and integers

Hi, I'm trying to check to see that the arguments given to my script are both numeric and positive integers. I'm using tcsh. I figured out the positive part, but I am having trouble with the arguments being numeric and integers I have no idea where to get started with the checking them actually... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mistykz
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find and Replace random numeric value with non-numeric value

Can someone tell me how to change the first column in a very large 17k line file from a random 10 digit numeric value to a non numeric value. The format of lines in the file is: 1702938475,SNU022,201004 the first 10 numbers always begin with 170 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bahf1s
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl script to sort data on second numeric field

Hi, I'm a learner of PERL programming. I've a input file with the below data: SWAT_5, 1703, 2010-09-21 SWAT_6, 2345, 2010-09-21 SWAT_7, 1792, 2010-09-21 SWAT_8, 1662, 2010-09-21 SWAT_9, 1888, 2010-09-21 VXHARP_1, 171, 2010-09-21 I need to sort this data based on the second... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganapati
6 Replies

7. Programming

Perl : Numeric Range Pattern Matching

hi Experts just wondering if you can help me check a number between a specific range if i have an ip address , how can i say the valid number for ip between 1 to 254 something like this if ($ip ) =~ /.../ { } what the pattern i need to type thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: doubando
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

String variable to numeric conversion in perl

Hi guys I am having this strange issue.Well my requirement is like below Compare two values between flat file and oracle DB Via perl script I am easily getting the rowcount Now I connect sql plus via perl and the column value that returns is string my $sqlplus_settings = ''; my... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
7 Replies

9. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Put the numeric validation in user input when value is 5.1.2.3

Hi I need to put the validation in batch script when user will enter the build number it should be numeric.I can put the validation for numeric values but there is .(dot) in number so it would not take it as numeric. Is it possible we can store it in variable and remove the .(dot) from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check whether input is numeric

Hello there, find below for my code first: $pdp_asaba=`cat /tmp/temp_total | grep asaba | sed 's/*//g'` if ]] then pdp_asaba=0 fi $pdp_abuja=`cat /tmp/temp_total | grep abuja | sed 's/*//g'` if ]] then pdp_abuja=0 fi $pdp_ojota=`cat /tmp/temp_total | grep ojota | sed 's/*//g'` if ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: infinitydon
3 Replies
Scalar::Util(3pm)					 Perl Programmers Reference Guide					 Scalar::Util(3pm)

NAME
Scalar::Util - A selection of general-utility scalar subroutines SYNOPSIS
use Scalar::Util qw(blessed dualvar isweak readonly refaddr reftype tainted weaken isvstring looks_like_number set_prototype); # and other useful utils appearing below DESCRIPTION
"Scalar::Util" contains a selection of subroutines that people have expressed would be nice to have in the perl core, but the usage would not really be high enough to warrant the use of a keyword, and the size so small such that being individual extensions would be wasteful. By default "Scalar::Util" does not export any subroutines. The subroutines defined are blessed EXPR If EXPR evaluates to a blessed reference the name of the package that it is blessed into is returned. Otherwise "undef" is returned. $scalar = "foo"; $class = blessed $scalar; # undef $ref = []; $class = blessed $ref; # undef $obj = bless [], "Foo"; $class = blessed $obj; # "Foo" dualvar NUM, STRING Returns a scalar that has the value NUM in a numeric context and the value STRING in a string context. $foo = dualvar 10, "Hello"; $num = $foo + 2; # 12 $str = $foo . " world"; # Hello world isvstring EXPR If EXPR is a scalar which was coded as a vstring the result is true. $vs = v49.46.48; $fmt = isvstring($vs) ? "%vd" : "%s"; #true printf($fmt,$vs); isweak EXPR If EXPR is a scalar which is a weak reference the result is true. $ref = $foo; $weak = isweak($ref); # false weaken($ref); $weak = isweak($ref); # true NOTE: Copying a weak reference creates a normal, strong, reference. $copy = $ref; $weak = isweak($copy); # false looks_like_number EXPR Returns true if perl thinks EXPR is a number. See "looks_like_number" in perlapi. openhandle FH Returns FH if FH may be used as a filehandle and is open, or FH is a tied handle. Otherwise "undef" is returned. $fh = openhandle(*STDIN); # *STDIN $fh = openhandle(*STDIN); # *STDIN $fh = openhandle(*NOTOPEN); # undef $fh = openhandle("scalar"); # undef readonly SCALAR Returns true if SCALAR is readonly. sub foo { readonly($_[0]) } $readonly = foo($bar); # false $readonly = foo(0); # true refaddr EXPR If EXPR evaluates to a reference the internal memory address of the referenced value is returned. Otherwise "undef" is returned. $addr = refaddr "string"; # undef $addr = refaddr $var; # eg 12345678 $addr = refaddr []; # eg 23456784 $obj = bless {}, "Foo"; $addr = refaddr $obj; # eg 88123488 reftype EXPR If EXPR evaluates to a reference the type of the variable referenced is returned. Otherwise "undef" is returned. $type = reftype "string"; # undef $type = reftype $var; # SCALAR $type = reftype []; # ARRAY $obj = bless {}, "Foo"; $type = reftype $obj; # HASH set_prototype CODEREF, PROTOTYPE Sets the prototype of the given function, or deletes it if PROTOTYPE is undef. Returns the CODEREF. set_prototype &foo, '$$'; tainted EXPR Return true if the result of EXPR is tainted $taint = tainted("constant"); # false $taint = tainted($ENV{PWD}); # true if running under -T weaken REF REF will be turned into a weak reference. This means that it will not hold a reference count on the object it references. Also when the reference count on that object reaches zero, REF will be set to undef. This is useful for keeping copies of references , but you don't want to prevent the object being DESTROY-ed at its usual time. { my $var; $ref = $var; weaken($ref); # Make $ref a weak reference } # $ref is now undef Note that if you take a copy of a scalar with a weakened reference, the copy will be a strong reference. my $var; my $foo = $var; weaken($foo); # Make $foo a weak reference my $bar = $foo; # $bar is now a strong reference This may be less obvious in other situations, such as "grep()", for instance when grepping through a list of weakened references to objects that may have been destroyed already: @object = grep { defined } @object; This will indeed remove all references to destroyed objects, but the remaining references to objects will be strong, causing the remaining objects to never be destroyed because there is now always a strong reference to them in the @object array. DIAGNOSTICS
Module use may give one of the following errors during import. Weak references are not implemented in the version of perl The version of perl that you are using does not implement weak references, to use "isweak" or "weaken" you will need to use a newer release of perl. Vstrings are not implemented in the version of perl The version of perl that you are using does not implement Vstrings, to use "isvstring" you will need to use a newer release of perl. "NAME" is only available with the XS version of Scalar::Util "Scalar::Util" contains both perl and C implementations of many of its functions so that those without access to a C compiler may still use it. However some of the functions are only available when a C compiler was available to compile the XS version of the extension. At present that list is: weaken, isweak, dualvar, isvstring, set_prototype KNOWN BUGS
There is a bug in perl5.6.0 with UV's that are >= 1<<31. This will show up as tests 8 and 9 of dualvar.t failing SEE ALSO
List::Util COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2007 Graham Barr <gbarr@pobox.com>. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. Except weaken and isweak which are Copyright (c) 1999 Tuomas J. Lukka <lukka@iki.fi>. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as perl itself. perl v5.12.1 2010-05-13 Scalar::Util(3pm)