Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do I prevent cron from returning errors on a file not found? Post 302105956 by goodmis on Monday 5th of February 2007 05:58:00 PM
Old 02-05-2007
How can I verify if the file is open?

I am now running into the issue of a how can I verify that a file has finished downloading via ftp before I run an awk script against it?

How does awk handle this?

Thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

errors when running a cron job

I am running some shell scripts through a foll cron job, the script works fine and there are no errors in the log file but I receive the following error in mail for the jobs: stty: no such device or address What does the above error indicate, here is the cron job: 0 22 * * 0... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: knarayan
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

java errors when calling from cron

I am more or less new to using cron, and I am trying to automate a log cleaning system I have made. The system basically cleans through WWW logs that are mounted on an NFS and creates text files for entry into a local PostgreSQL DB. For the past year I have been running the various scripts and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mntamago
3 Replies

3. Linux

Unable to send mail - but no errors found :-(

Hi Guys I am using this version of Linux box (as shown below). I am unable to send email from the box. But I am not getting any errors while sending email. :mad: Any idea what could be the reason? What entry should I check? :confused: $ uname -a Linux machine-name 2.4.21-144-smp4G #1... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaha
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

prevent errors/warnings from being written to log file

i have this script which works fine but shows errors when it runs..these are more like warnings and the script runs fine.. i am on a sun machine.. i know it writes all the error messages to a master log file.. is there any way i can turn off these warnings/error messages and prevent them from being... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to prevent grep command from throwing a system trap if No match is found.

Hi How to prevent grep command from throwing a system trap(or returning error status) if No match is found in the specified file(s) ? Consider this simple shell script: #!/usr/bin/ksh trap 'STATUS=$?;set +x;echo;echo error $STATUS at line nb $LINENO executing :\ `sed -n... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cool.aquarian
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop on array variable returning error: 0 not found

I'm guessing i have a syntax error. I'm not sure it get's past the the while condition. I get an error 0 not found. Simple loop not sure what I'm doing wrong. #!/usr/bin/ksh set -A MtPtArray /u03 /u06 tUbound=${#MtPtArray } echo $tUbound i=0 while ($i -lt $tUbound) do print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KME
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron job to prevent simultaneous script

I'm using a shared server on Hostgator (Linux CentOS). I'm trying to set a cron job using the Control Panel that will check if its already running before starting a new one. I've tried the following... * * * * * && but I get this error emailed to me... /bin/sh: line 0: Any... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: tech9821
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command not found errors when running csh script

I am trying to find the number of files whose name starts with uni. Below is the code but it is giving error. :confused: #!/bin/csh FILES_NAME ='files_list'; FILE_NAME_PATTERN = 'uni*'; NO_OF_FILES; ls -l $FILE_NAME_PATTERN > $FILES_NAME ; NO_OF_FILES = `wc -l $FILES_NAME`; echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hiten.r.chauhan
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ssh from a ksh returning not found message

Script name is test.ksh I know that that the ssh command is working properly, this can be verified by the value returned in respond variable. It is unique to the remote server _____________________________________________________ respond=$(ssh $remoteHost find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Adagio
3 Replies

10. Programming

Expect script returning string following a found expect.

I'm fairly new to scripting so this might not be possible. I am using Expect with Cisco switches and need to capture the string after finding the expect request. For example, when I issue "show version" on a Nexus switch, I'm looking to capture the current firmware version: #show version ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: IBGaryA
0 Replies
cron(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   cron(8)

NAME
cron - The system clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
The cron daemon runs shell commands at specified dates and times. Commands that are to run according to a regular or periodic schedule are found within the crontab files. Commands that are to run once only are found within the at files. You submit crontab and at file entries by using the crontab and at commands. Because the cron process exits only when killed or when the system stops, only one cron daemon should exist on the system at any given time. Normally, you start the cron daemon from within a run command file. During process initialization and when cron detects a change, it examines the crontab and at files. This strategy reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. The cron command creates a log of its activities. The cron daemon must be started from the system startup scripts because it must begin execution without a login user ID set. The cron daemon starts each job with the following process attributes stored with the job by the invoking process: Login user ID Effective and real user IDs Effective and real group IDs Supplementary groups It also establishes the following attributes from the authentication profile of the account associated with the login user ID of the invok- ing process: Audit control and disposition masks Kernel authorizations DIAGNOSTICS
The at and batch programs will refuse to accept jobs submitted from processes whose login user ID is different from the real user ID. FILES
Specifies the command path. Main cron directory Directory containing the crontab files. List of allowed users. List of denied users His- tory information for cron Queue description file for at, batch, and cron RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: at(1), crontab(1), rc0(8), rc2(8), rc3(8) Files: queuedefs(4) delim off cron(8)