Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Assign o/p of awk to a variable Post 302105366 by c2b2 on Thursday 1st of February 2007 08:53:41 AM
Old 02-01-2007
Bug Thank You

Hey Thank you anbu Smilie

But I have two question? Smilie
Can you please clearify them.

1. I thought only single slash is required for escaping, then whats the meaning of double slash.

2. Also why doesnt the following one work:
myvariable=`awk '/^.{232}$acctNum/ { printf("%s;Y;Account",substr($0,241,1)) ; exit} ' myinputfile.txt`
In this case we dont even need escaping. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: assign a printf value to a variable

Is there any way to something like this?: variable=printf("%30s",var1) Thx. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klashxx
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign value to variable using AWK

Dear Friends I have text file as like below, AAAAA|BHBHBH|VERYSMART AAAAA| KKKKKK|GOOD BBBBBB|JJJJJJJ|VERYGOOD CCCCC|HJHJHJ|BETTER CCCCC|UUUUU|GOOD i need to split into seperate files based on column 1 like as below AAAAA.TXT contains -------------------- BHBHBH.VERYSMART... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HAA
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk command result to a variable

#!/bin/sh # ## MYSTRING = `awk '/myApp.app/' /Users/$USER/Library/Preferences/loginwindow.plist` if then echo String not found defaults write /Users/$USER/Library/Preferences/loginwindow AutoLaunchedApplicationDictionary -dict-add -string Hide -bool YES -string Path -string... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dedmakar
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: assign variable with -v didn't work in awk filter

I want to filter 2nd column = 2 using awk $ cat t 1 2 2 4 $ VAR=2 #variable worked in print $ cat t | awk -v ID=$VAR ' { print ID}' 2 2 # but variable didn't work in awk filter $ cat t | awk -v ID=$VAR '$2~/ID/ { print $0}' (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on awk---- need to assign the output of awk to a variable

hi i want to find the size of a folder and assign it to a variable and then compare if it is greater than 1 gb. i am doin this script, but it is throwing error.... #!/bin/ksh cd . | du -s | size = awk '{print $1}' if size >= 112000 then echo size high fi ERROR : (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nithz
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign a variable with awk

I launch 'netstat -a', if string 'ESTABLISHED' found, then VAR=1 #!/bin/bash VAR=0; netstat -a | awk '$6 ~ /ESTABLISHED/ {VAR=1}' I cannot find the right syntax. thanx guys! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arpagon
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to assign a value to a variable in awk scripting?

Hi, I am trying to assign a value using below command and it is assigning the command to the variable not the output of the command? out_value="echo $0 | cut -c 9-11"; How can i assign the output to the variable instead of whole command? This is inside my awk script (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagya123
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to assign awk values to shell variable?

Hi Gurus, I have a script which assign awk output to shell variable. current it uses two awk command to assign value to two variables. I want to use one command to assign two values to two variables. I tried the code, but it does't work. kindly provide your suggestion. current code... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: green_k
2 Replies
COLORS(3)						   libbash colors Library Manual						 COLORS(3)

NAME
colors -- libbash library for setting tty colors. SYNOPSIS
colorSet <color> colorReset colorPrint [<indent>] <color> <text> colorPrintN [<indent>] <color> <text> DESCRIPTION
General colors is a collection of functions that make it very easy to put colored text on tty. The function list: colorSet Sets the color of the prints to the tty to COLOR colorReset Resets current tty color back to normal colorPrint Prints TEXT in the color COLOR indented by INDENT (without adding a newline) colorPrintN The same as colorPrint, but trailing newline is added Detailed interface description follows. Available colors: Green Red Yellow White The color parameter is non-case-sensitive (i.e. RED, red, ReD, and all the other forms are valid and are the same as Red). FUNCTIONS DESCRIPTIONS
colorSet <color> Sets the current printing color to color. colorReset Resets current tty color back to normal. colorPrint [<indent>] <color> Prints text using the color color indented by indent (without adding a newline). Parameters: <indent> The column to move to before start printing. This parameter is optional. If ommitted - start output from current cursor position. <color> The color to use. <color> The text to print. colorPrintN [<indent>] <color> The same as colorPrint, except a trailing newline is added. EXAMPLES
Printing a green 'Hello World' with a newline: Using colorSet: $ colorSet green $ echo 'Hello World' $ colorReset Using colorPrint: $ colorPrint 'Hello World'; echo Using colorPrintN: $ colorPrintN 'Hello World' AUTHORS
Hai Zaar <haizaar@haizaar.com> Gil Ran <gil@ran4.net> SEE ALSO
ldbash(1), libbash(1) Linux Epoch Linux