Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users running processes with no hang up Post 302105009 by suntac on Tuesday 30th of January 2007 07:59:01 AM
Old 01-30-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyaj
Can we run a script in nohup which calls another script in nohup.
eg

Script1.sh
#Script1 start
nohup script2.sh
#end script1.sh

Now can I do this

nohup script1.sh

Also is all scheduled processes (crontab entries) will run as nohup?

Would appreciate if any one can help me to clarify my doubts.
I never tried to nest a nohup in a nohup command but it would make sense that it would work. You can check the nohup manual page if it stating anything about it. Please do try and post the results on this forum so other people can see your results.

About cron and nohup. A script executed by cron will run always in the background if it really really makes use of pure nohup I would not know but you could check.

Regards,
Johan Louwers.

Last edited by reborg; 01-30-2007 at 09:25 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running two processes in background

hi there, here's what i need in my korn-shell: ... begin korn-shell script ... nohup process_A.ksh ; nohup process_B.ksh & ... "other stuff" ... end lorn-shell script in plain english i want process A and process B to run in the background so that the script can continue doing... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacob_gs
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

removing hang processes (AIX)

Hi Guys, Just wondering if I have a child process which is basically hanging and I can see that is on sleep or wait mode if I want to remove/terminate this process , the signal has to come from its parent I assume. The reason I'm asking this is because I'm facing a db2 hang situation and we... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hariza
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

make a foreground running process to run background without hang up

I've tried this a long time ago and was successful but could not remember how i did it. Tried ctrl+Z and then used bg % could not figure what i did after to keep it no hangup - not sure if used nohup -p pid, can u plz help me out if this can be done. Any help will be appreciated. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: pharos467
12 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in running two processes in parellel

I have a script something like this: #!/usr/bin/ksh CLASSPATH=/apps/opt/db2udb/admin/db2bdt/sqllib/java/db2java.zip:/apps/opt/db2udb/admin/db2bdt/sqllib/java/db2jcc.jar:/apps/opt/db2udb/admin/db2bdt/sqllib/function:$CLASSPATH export CLASSPATH ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ss3944
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to know the running processes.

Hi can anybody help me regarding this.. i want know the output of ps -ef with explanation. how can we know the running processess. this is the output of ps -elf F S UID PID PPID C PRI NI ADDR SZ WCHAN STIME TTY TIME CMD 19 T root 0 0 0 0 SY ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rajesh_pola
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Running processes on GZ/LZ

Hi guys just a question is it normal to see running process on a non-global zone in the global zone... processes such as cron. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: batas
3 Replies

7. Linux

Running processes

Hi guys is it normal to have 5-10 cron/syslog processes running... in my case i got 10 cron process running. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: batas
4 Replies

8. BSD

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: naveeng
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Process remians in Running state causing other similar process to sleep and results to system hang

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Hi Experts, I am facing one problem here which is one process always stuck in running state which causes the other similar process to sleep state . This causes my system in hanged state. On doing cat /proc/<pid>wchan showing the "__init_begin" in the output. Can you please help me here... (6 Replies)
6 Replies
NOHUP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  NOHUP(1)

NAME
nohup -- invoke a command immune to hangups SYNOPSIS
nohup utility [arg ...] DESCRIPTION
The nohup command allows the specified utility to be protected from termination if the user should become logged out (for example, due to a modem line or TCP/IP connection being dropped). To do this, nohup sets the SIGHUP signal(3) (``terminal line hangup'') to be ignored, then executes utility along with any arguments. If the standard output is a terminal, the standard output is appended to the file nohup.out in the current directory. If standard error is a terminal, it is directed to the same place as the standard output. If the output file nohup.out cannot be created in the current directory, nohup attempts to create the file in the user's home directory. If the file nohup.out cannot be created, either in the current directory or the user's home directory, nohup will exit without invoking utility, with an exit value as described below. ENVIRONMENT
The following variable is used by nohup. HOME User's home directory. EXIT STATUS
The nohup utility exits with one of the following values: 126 The utility was found but could not be invoked. 127 The utility could not be found or an error occurred in nohup. Otherwise, the exit status of nohup will be that of utility. SEE ALSO
signal(3) STANDARDS
The nohup command is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. BSD
July 15, 2005 BSD