Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: assign a value to a variable
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting assign a value to a variable Post 302103051 by Shivdatta on Tuesday 16th of January 2007 06:21:27 AM
Old 01-16-2007
assign a value to a variable

I have a list of names in a file.
i want to assign those names to a variable in such a manner
eg:
$cat file.txt
pete
lisa
john

var=pete-lisa-john

how do i do this in shell scripting?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

assign to variable

why i can't use this command: echo $arg | cut -c 1,2 | read remainArg or echo $arg | cut -c 1,2 | read $remainArg so that the result will be assign to remainArg. Anyway to do this? :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: AkumaTay
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign a value to variable

I have to assign a result of a query to a vairable like this how can i do this Query = select count(*) from table x=`db2 ${Query}| sed -n '4p'` but this doesn't work, is there any other way to assign the result without redirecting the result to temp file. . Thanks Mark. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: markjason
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to assign a value to variable

Hi Experts, I am facing some problem while developing the script.My input config.csv file contains the three columns namely pathname,filename,filetype.Based on the file type i have to use ftp command that is if filetype=csv then do ftp. The input file is cat config.csv... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amey Joshi
13 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign this to a variable....

bash-3.00$ /usr/bin/netstat -an -f inet | awk -F' ' '{if ($1$4 == "tcp*.21")print $5}' *.* bash-3.00$ A=` /usr/bin/netstat -an -f inet | awk -F' ' '{if ($1$4 == "tcp*.21")print $5}'` bash-3.00$ echo $A db2_lastdone.bkp As you can see ,after running command i get *.* in return but the same... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ak835
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

Dear All, we have a command output which looks like : Total 200 queues in 30000 Kbytes and we're going to get "200" and "30000" for further process. currently, i'm using : numA=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $2}' numB=echo $OUTPUT | awk '{print $5}' my question is : can I use just one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tiger2000
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell assign variable to another variable

How can I assign a variable to an variable. IE $car=honda One way I can do it is export $car=honda or let $car=2323 Is there any other ways to preform this task (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: 3junior
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assign a variable with awk

I launch 'netstat -a', if string 'ESTABLISHED' found, then VAR=1 #!/bin/bash VAR=0; netstat -a | awk '$6 ~ /ESTABLISHED/ {VAR=1}' I cannot find the right syntax. thanx guys! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arpagon
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Need to pass variable in a command and assign value to a variable

Hello All, Hope you're doing well ! I am trying below command to be passed in a shell script, header_date_14 is a variable and $1 is the name of a file I intend to pass as a command line argument, however command line argument is not being accepted. header_date_14=$(m_dump... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ektubbe
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How can I assign awk's variable to shell script's variable?

I have the following script, and I want to assign the output ($10 and $5) from awk to N and L: grdinfo data.grd | awk '{print $10,$5}'| read N L output from gridinfo data.grd is: data.grd 50 100 41 82 -2796 6944 0.016 0.016 3001 2461. where N and L is suppose to be 3001 and 100. I use... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: geomarine
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Assign value to variable

Hi Guys, I need to assign the value of which has rows to a variable, Can you advise how to do that hive --orcfiledump /hdfs_path/ | grep "Rows" Rows: 131554 I need to assign this row count itself to a unix variable count=$(hive --orcfiledump /hdfs_path/ | grep "Rows") Expected ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Master_Mind
6 Replies
DOVEADM-AUTH(1) 						      Dovecot							   DOVEADM-AUTH(1)

NAME
doveadm-auth - Test authentication for a user SYNOPSIS
doveadm [-Dv] auth [-a auth_socket_path] [-x auth_info] user [password] DESCRIPTION
The auth command can be used to test the authentication for the given user. OPTIONS
Global doveadm(1) options: -D Enables verbosity and debug messages. -v Enables verbosity, including progress counter. Command specific options: -a auth_socket_path This option is used to specify an absolute path to an alternative UNIX domain socket. By default doveadm(1) will use the socket /var/run/dovecot/auth-client. The socket may be located in another directory, when the default base_dir setting was overridden in /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf. -x auth_info auth_info specifies additional conditions for the auth command. The auth_info option string has to be given as name=value pair. For multiple conditions the -x option could be supplied multiple times. Possible names for the auth_info are: service The service for which the authentication lookup should be tested. The value may be the name of a service, commonly used with Dovecot. For example: imap, pop3 or smtp. lip The local IP address (server) for the test. rip The remote IP address (client) for the test. lport The local port, e.g. 143 rport The remote port, e.g. 24567 ARGUMENTS
user The user's login name. Depending on the configuration, the login name may be for example jane or john@example.com. password Optionally the user's password. doveadm(1) will prompt for the password, if none was given. EXAMPLE
This example demonstrates an imap authentication test for user john, assuming the user is connected from the host with the IP address 192.0.2.143. doveadm auth -x service=imap -x rip=192.0.2.143 john johns_password passdb: john auth succeeded extra fields: user=john REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs, including doveconf -n output, to the Dovecot Mailing List <dovecot@dovecot.org>. Information about reporting bugs is avail- able at: http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html SEE ALSO
doveadm(1), doveconf(1) Dovecot v2.2 2010-06-09 DOVEADM-AUTH(1)