Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Having difficulty with UNIX concept. Please help! Post 302102472 by ALon on Wednesday 10th of January 2007 05:13:39 PM
Old 01-10-2007
Thank you very much for your reply. It makes a little more sense now. I do understand the way client/server architectures work, I am just not sure how UNIX works...I tried reading wikipedia, but it wasn't very helpful, for me anyway!

OK, if I an on machine1, and want to access the harddrive on machine3, does that mean I have to mount the filesystem of machine3 onto machine1? Or something along those lines.

You mentioned hostnames. Is a hostname simply the name of a unix box? Does it mean that each hostname has its own CPU, harddrive, RAM etc?

Thanks.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Difficulty

Hi, I am trying to upload a file to a SQL database table. The column type is IMAGE. I am looking for a solution to upload a word doc file. I tried 3 approaches. 1) my $fileToStore = "mytest.doc"; open IPFILE, "<", $name; binmode IPFILE; while (<IPFILE>) { $fileToStore .= $_; } close... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: b.paramanatti
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

trying to understand rationale of unix stream i/o concept

I am an entry level programmer with no formal training in computer science. I am trying to enhance my conceptual knowledge about operating systems in general. I have been using the C programming language on Linux systems for some time and have used the traditional unix stream I/O APIs. The... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaychau
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding Mail concept in unix

Hi, I am new to this mail concept in unix. i have requirement to read the mail from mailbox. Now to get the mail where i have to configure the mail id and also the mail server. Kindly suggest me. Thanks in advance. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna_gnv
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop difficulty

hi all I am new to unix and want to create a loop to repeat the loop and before that it ask me to do so.I know "while" may help but I put it in my work and getting stuk with it.any help appreciated. (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsami1971
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

difficulty in formatting a file.

a file containing following data (part of it).... 1907594 201012 31 11 5837737 201012 41 18 257402.88 201101 31 11 7500 201101 33 1 115618.5 201101 41 11 556330 201102 31 12 481783.5 201102 41 20 2827732.13 201103 31 71 85253 201103 33 2 4479588.07 201103 41 90 7120 201104 21 1 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: guptam
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

difficulty with awk

hello folks, i am stuck with this awk command. i need to calculate the sum of a column of values on a flatfile and i am using the following command : awk -F"|" '{x += $10} END {print "Sum: "x}' standard_csv_file1.out that flatfile contains 180 fields and i am getting the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jdsony
5 Replies

7. What is on Your Mind?

What exactly is the concept of BITS in this unix.com forum?

Is there a detailed page on the explanation of concept behind BITS and score used in this forum. Just saw the index on my Banking page. (Clicked the Banking hyperlink below my profile name on the topmost right corner of this screen) Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Manjunath B
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difficulty with set - command

Hi , i have a shell script with the first two lines as #! /bin/ksh set -x when i try opening the file from unix using the command 'sh filename.sh' , i am getting the below error : invalid optionline 2: set: - Pls help Use code tags for you code and data... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rajankum
1 Replies
mountd(1M)																mountd(1M)

NAME
mountd - server for NFS mount requests and NFS access checks SYNOPSIS
/usr/lib/nfs/mountd [-v] [-r] mountd is an RPC server that answers requests for NFS access information and file system mount requests. It reads the file /etc/dfs/sharetab to determine which file systems are available for mounting by which remote machines. See sharetab(4). nfsd running on the local server will contact mountd the first time an NFS client tries to access the file system to determine whether the client should get read-write, read-only, or no access. This access can be dependent on the security mode used in the remoted procedure call from the client. See share_nfs(1M). The command also provides information as to what file systems are mounted by which clients. This information can be printed using the show- mount(1M) command. The mountd daemon is automatically invoked by share(1M). Only super user can run the mountd daemon. The options shown below are supported for NVSv2/v3 clients. They are not supported for Solaris NFSv4 clients. -r Reject mount requests from clients. Clients that have file systems mounted will not be affected. -v Run the command in verbose mode. Each time mountd determines what access a client should get, it will log the result to the con- sole, as well as how it got that result. /etc/dfs/sharetab shared file system table See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWnfssu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ nfsd(1M), share(1M), share_nfs(1M), showmount(1M), nfs(4), sharetab(4), attributes(5) Since mountd must be running for nfsd to function properly, mountd is automatically started by the svc:/network/nfs/server service. See nfs(4). Some routines that compare hostnames use case-sensitive string comparisons; some do not. If an incoming request fails, verify that the case of the hostname in the file to be parsed matches the case of the hostname called for, and attempt the request again. 27 Apr 2005 mountd(1M)