Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Help with screen
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with screen Post 302100505 by Gurth on Wednesday 20th of December 2006 06:58:38 AM
Old 12-20-2006
I have been able to come close using "screen" utility.
If i enter the command prompt of the "screen" i can then do:

Code:
at 1# "ls -al"

The problem is that i can't get an escape char from the shell. I need to type
ctrl-a-: to get to the command prompt of the screen utility.

Can i perhaps prefix the

at 1# "ls -al"

with some char sequence to emulate the escape char?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

How to clear screen

I searched the post and someone said to clear the screen in C, use printf("\033[2J"); ?? However, this doesn't work...typo or no. What is an equivalent command to 'CLS' in DOS/'clear' in UNIX to clear the screen and go to top of screen?? Thank you. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giannicello
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

printing to the screen

HPUX 11.0.X / Korn Shell Hope this makes sense. I have a little function to place things on the screen using the column and row parameters. Question is, how can I be sure of where the current cursor postion is so that if I print something to the upper right hand corner of the screen, I can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: google
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

reading from a screen

Hi There is a program running which displays output on the screen I have to grep a particular string from that screen how do i do this My problem is i'm running this program from a script which executes after every fifteen mins but sometimes it's happen that there is an error in the program... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyanarayang
4 Replies

4. Linux

Screen on Fedora3

I'm using Fedora3 and Screen when i do that, Scree dont load my Bash profile so my MC, centericq and swedish keyboard is mesed up.. how can i use screen and my bash_profile? or is there another way to fix it? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: snort
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Double screen

Hi Guys, I'm using a double screen machine with linux Red Hat. The problem is that I see the same image in both screens... Can anybody tell me how to solve this problem? Thanks a lot, Pablo. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cordobapablo
0 Replies

6. OS X (Apple)

Virtual screen accessed by Screen Sharing

Hi, I'm trying to create a virtual screen, (maybe xvfb? or any other virtual screen buffer) and be able to use Screen Sharing to connect to it. The setup is that I have a Mac Mini connected to the TV. But when my girlfriend is using Front Row, I can't use Screen Sharing at the same time from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: linge
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

command line tool to disable screen lock and/or screen saver

Hi, I have a simple question : how to disable screen lock and/or sreen saver with command line with RHEL5.4 ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: albator1932
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Black Screen

I am using Intel HD 400 Graphics on a laptop. When I logout, I get a black screen with no cursor or anything. I have to hard reboot the system to get into linux again. Working on RHEL 6 (gnome) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sunveer
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accidentally made a screen within a screen - how to move it up one level?

I made a screen within a screen. Is there a way to move the inner screen up one level so that it is at the same level as the first screen running from the shell? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phpchick
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

O/P same as on screen

#Random Scripts 4 #Desc: clear echo "1. To see all processes currently running on the system" echo "2. To kill any given process" echo "Choose between the two" read x case $x in "1")print `ps aux`;; "2") echo "Choose a process to be killed" read y check=`ps ax | grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: targetshell
1 Replies
BlackPixelOfScreen(3X11)					     MIT X11R4						  BlackPixelOfScreen(3X11)

Name
       BlackPixelOfScreen, WhitePixelOfScreen, CellsOfScreen, DefaultColormapOfScreen, DefaultDepthOfScreen, DefaultGCOfScreen, DefaultVisualOf-
       Screen, DoesBackingStore, DoesSaveUnders, DisplayOfScreen, XScreenNumberOfScreen, EventMaskOfScreen, HeightOfScreen, HeightMMOfScreen, Max-
       CmapsOfScreen, MinCmapsOfScreen, PlanesOfScreen, RootWindowOfScreen, WidthOfScreen, WidthMMOfScreen - screen information functions and
       macros

Syntax
       BlackPixelOfScreen(screen)

WhitePixelOfScreen(screen)

CellsOfScreen(screen)

DefaultColormapOfScreen(screen)

DefaultDepthOfScreen(screen)

DefaultGCOfScreen(screen)

DefaultVisualOfScreen(screen)

DoesBackingStore(screen)

DoesSaveUnders(screen)

DisplayOfScreen(screen)

int XScreenNumberOfScreen(screen)
	  Screen *screen;

EventMaskOfScreen(screen)

HeightOfScreen(screen)

HeightMMOfScreen(screen)

MaxCmapsOfScreen(screen)

MinCmapsOfScreen(screen)

PlanesOfScreen(screen)

RootWindowOfScreen(screen)

WidthOfScreen(screen)

WidthMMOfScreen(screen)

Arguments
       screen	 Specifies a pointer to the appropriate structure.

Description
       The macro returns the black pixel value of the specified screen.

The macro returns the white pixel value of the specified screen.

The macro returns the number of colormap cells in the default colormap of the specified screen.

The macro returns the default colormap of the specified screen.

The macro returns the default depth of the root window of the specified screen.

The macro returns the default GC of the specified screen, which has the same depth as the root window of the screen.

The macro returns the default visual of the specified screen.

The macro returns or which indicate whether the screen supports backing stores.

The macro returns a Boolean value indicating whether the screen supports save unders.

The macro returns the display of the specified screen.

The function returns the screen index number of the specified screen.

The macro returns the root event mask of the root window for the specified screen at connection setup.

The macro returns the height of the specified screen.

The macro returns the height of the specified screen in millimeters.

The macro returns the maximum number of installed colormaps supported by the specified screen.

The macro returns the minimum number of installed colormaps supported by the specified screen.

The macro returns the number of planes in the root window of the specified screen.

The macro returns the root window of the specified screen.

The macro returns the width of the specified screen.

The macro returns the width of the specified screen in millimeters.

See Also
       AllPlanes(3X11), ImageByteOrder(3X11), IsCursorKey(3X11)
       X Window System: The Complete Reference, Second Edition, Robert W. Scheifler and James Gettys

BlackPixelOfScreen(3X11)