Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell/commands/scripting/c questions Post 302100066 by Necrologist on Friday 15th of December 2006 06:15:42 PM
Old 12-15-2006
So from now on every question is assumed to be homework problem?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

questions on ftp shell scripting

did a search but was not allowed to use 'ftp' because its too short of a word. for some reason, i can't seem to remember anything about ftp shell scripts - would someone please refresh my memory on the syntax and maybe give a short example? thanks for the time. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: psyjoniz
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

few small scripting questions

hello everyone, i have a couple of questions about programming with shell scripts. -My question is, how do you find out how long a sequence of numbers that has just been entered is. for example If i enter 12345 the length here is 5 and 23456789 the length here is eight. I want to be able... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bebop1111116
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Questions related to ndd commands

Hello Gurus I would like to know more about ndd commands related to ethernet(NIC) like how to set link_status, link_speed & link_mode as I know how to check these value. And I also would like to know how to make these setting permanents after reboot as I know that these setting will vanish... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: amity
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

SQL commands in a shell scripting

Hi, I need to write a shell script file that does 1)Connects to DB using SQL plus 2)Do some SQL query like select * from.... 3)Based on the output that I got from the sql query I will have to write a if else loop. Plz let me know how to write the shell scripting for this. Thanks for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: villain41
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting problems - Commands not on local machine

Hello all- I have done a lot of searching tonight, but all leads seem to be dead ends. Forgive me if this has been covered, but I've searched the forum and the internet. I am having trouble building a shell script which uses SSH to login to our schools 1024 cluster grid. The issue that I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sagan
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting questions

I have a file like this. Pls help me to solve this. 08-24-2010 10:22:34,xxxxxxxxMessage : 111 08-24-2010 10:24:38,xxxxxxxbMessage : 000 08-24-2010 11:28:11,xxxxxxxcMessage : 111 08-24-2010 11:32:35,xxxxxxxdMessage : 111 08-24-2010 11:32:35,xxxxxxxeMessage : 111 (I should look for Message... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mnjx
1 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Scripting questions

I have two scripts and wish to finish the labs in two days, I am not sure how to make these work though. Any help would be appreciated, a step by step guide would be great! Q1) Complete the following instructions and submit the questions and answers from this lab to your tutor. Please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: noobie123
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

beginner scripting questions User variables

If there's anywhere to look this up, it would be just as helpful. I googled and really couldn't find anything relative to this. ok... General Variables 1) When creating a script I made a file "prog1.sh" does it matter if the end is .sh or is this what has to be done like prog.bash or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: austing5
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scripting questions, remote access

Hi, Background: There are 2 servers server1 and server2 In server1 i have my script to perform a functionality from the script in server1 i m calling a script named action in server2. The script action has to check the size of a file in a particular location in server1, if the size of the file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jayii
1 Replies
write(1)						      General Commands Manual							  write(1)

Name
       write - write message to another user

Syntax
       write user [ttyname]

Description
       The command copies lines from your terminal to that of another user.  When first called, it sends the message
       Message from yoursystem!yourname yourttyname...

The recipient of the message should write back at this point.  Communication continues until an end of file is read from the terminal or an
       interrupt is sent.  At that point writes `EOT' on the other terminal and exits.

If you want to write to a user who is logged in more than once, the ttyname argument may be used to indicate the appropriate terminal name.

Permission to write may be denied or granted by use of the mesg command.  At the outset writing is allowed.  Certain commands, in  particu-
       lar and disallow messages in order to prevent messy output.

If the character `!' is found at the beginning of a line, calls the shell to execute the rest of the line as a command.

The  following  protocol  is  suggested for using when you first write to another user, wait for him to write back before starting to send.
       Each party should end each message with a distinctive signal. The letter `o' is the convention for `over' which indicates that the  message
       is complete.  The letters `oo' are the convention for `over and out' which is used when the conversation is about to be terminated.

Files
       /etc/utmp to find user
       /bin/sh	      to execute `!'

See Also
       mail(1), mesg(1), who(1)

write(1)