Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris configure DNS server on solaris Post 302099161 by Tornado on Saturday 9th of December 2006 02:12:18 PM
Old 12-09-2006
Download this template(http://developers.sun.com/solaris/technotes/named.tar.Z) to a work directory, such as /var.
To unpack the file, at the command line type:

zcat name.tar.Z | tar xvf -

For quick installation, do the following:

1.Determine what type of DNS you want and what support information you need from your network provider, such as global caching DNS.

2.Edit the named.* files you need. For releases prior to Solaris 7, use named.boot, named.local, named.cache, named.mydomain, and named.mydomain.rev. For Solaris 7 and Solaris 8, the map files are the same, but edit the named.conf instead of named.boot.

3.Edit the /etc/resolv.conf file. It should look like the following:

domain mydomain.com
nameserver 127.0.0.1 ;if DNS server runs on this host
nameserver 129.200.9.1 ;if this is a remote client

4.Create a symbolic link in /etc/ to either the named.boot or named.conf file and start the DNS (/usr/sbin/in.named).

5.You can verify the DNS is working properly by running some queries to test forward and reverse resolution.

Full details are avalable here:
http://developers.sun.com/solaris/technotes/named.html
Tornado

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

trying to configure DNS address in Solaris

hi to all. I'm trying to use the sendmail command to generate some reports and I cant use it. The mails i try to send simply won't go out, instead I receive a response from the system sayng that the host is unknown. I think the problem is in the DNS configuration (or the IMAP/SMTP servers). ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ldrojasm
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to configure DNS

My OS is sun solaris7,(sun sparc),i want connect inernet and my computer in my company intranet.After i configure proxy server,i still can't conncet internet.I guess whether the DNS is configured correctly. who can help me???Thank you very much!!! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: q30
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add DNS server in Solaris

I am new to UNIX and have been trying to add DNS servers so I can access the internet under Solaris 9. I am using a static IP and have the subnet and gateway configured but cannot figure out to add DNS servers. Does anyone know how to do this? Thank you very much for any help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jmy113437
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris DNS Client For Microsoft DNS Server

hey guys, how to add soalris box as a microsoft DNS Client ? and how to register in the microsoft DNS ?? i managed to query from the DNS server after adding /etc/resolve.conf and editing /etc/nsswitch.conf but i need to register the soalris server (dns Client) into Microsoft DNS automatically.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mduweik
3 Replies

5. IP Networking

Configure DNS

I am running Solaris 2.6 Server on a Sparc 10 and I was wondering how I can manually specify a DNS server to resolve hostnames. Any help will be greatly appreciated. And also I have created a file in the /etc dir named defaultrouter and added th IP address of my router, but when I ping another... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: jskillet
15 Replies

6. Solaris

How to configure Proxy Server in Solaris 10 (X86)

Hi , I have installed solaris 10 on x 86 architecture. Now i want to configure this system as Proxy Server. I am new to the solaris. Please help me how can i configure this. Which packages or patches are needed ? or Which files have to be modify ? Please help me to resolve. Thanks and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: raviraj001
0 Replies

7. Solaris

BIND DNS Server issue on Solaris 10

Hi all, I have some sort of problem with BIND DNS server my environment as follows. bash-3.00# cat /etc/release Solaris 10 6/06 s10s_u2wos_09a SPARC Copyright 2006 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Use is subject to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
3 Replies

8. Solaris

checking Solaris 10 DNS server for IPv6

hi, i have a Solaris 10 DNS server, how do you check whether it can support IPv6 networking ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Exposure
0 Replies

9. Solaris

How to add new Solaris client IP into Solaris 10 DNS server?

Hi, We just built a new Solaris 10 zone. And would like to add it to our DNS server. Its also Solaris 10. Please let me know how can I get the IP resolved using this DNS server. I added entry into zone config file but not working. I did restarted the DNS services. And also added nameserver name... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
5 Replies
RESOLVCONF.CONF(5)					      System Manager's Manual						RESOLVCONF.CONF(5)

NAME
resolvconf.conf -- resolvconf configuration file DESCRIPTION
resolvconf.conf is the configuration file for resolvconf(8). The resolvconf.conf file is a shell script that is sourced by resolvconf(8), meaning that resolvconf.conf must contain valid shell commands. Listed below are the standard resolvconf.conf variables that may be set. After updating this file, you may wish to run resolvconf -u to apply the new configuration. RESOLVCONF OPTIONS
interface_order These interfaces will always be processed first. If unset, defaults to the following:- lo lo[0-9]* dynamic_order These interfaces will be processed next, unless they have a metric. If unset, defaults to the following:- tap[0-9]* tun[0-9]* vpn vpn[0-9]* ppp[0-9]* ippp[0-9]* search_domains Prepend search domains to the dynamically generated list. search_domains_append Append search domains to the dynamically generated list. domain_blacklist A list of domains to be removed from consideration. To remove a domain, you can use foo.* To remove a sub domain, you can use *.bar name_servers Prepend name servers to the dynamically generated list. You should set this to 127.0.0.1 if you use a local name server other than libc. name_servers_append Append name servers to the dynamically generated list. name_server_blacklist A list of name servers to be removed from consideration. The default is 0.0.0.0 as some faulty routers send it via DHCP. To remove a block, you can use 192.168.* private_interfaces These interfaces name servers will only be queried for the domains listed in their resolv.conf. Useful for VPN domains. This is equivalent to the resolvconf -p option. state_dir Override the default state directory of /run/resolvconf. This should not be changed once resolvconf is in use unless the old direc- tory is copied to the new one. LIBC OPTIONS
The following variables affect resolv.conf(5) directly:- resolv_conf Defaults to /etc/resolv.conf if not set. resolv_conf_options A list of libc resolver options, as specified in resolv.conf(5). resolv_conf_passthrough When set to YES the latest resolv.conf is written to resolv_conf without any alteration. resolv_conf_sortlist A libc resolver sortlist, as specified in resolv.conf(5). resolv_conf_local_only If a local nameserver is configured then the default is just to specify that and ignore all other entries as they will be configured for the local nameserver. Set this to YES to list them instead, if you need working DNS and the local nameserver stops functioning at the expense of duplicated server queries. SUBSCRIBER OPTIONS
openresolv ships with subscribers for the name servers dnsmasq(8), named(8), pdnsd(8) and unbound(8). Each subscriber can create configura- tion files which should be included in in the subscribers main configuration file. dnsmasq_conf This file tells dnsmasq which nameservers to use for specific domains. dnsmasq_resolv This file tells dnsmasq which nameservers to use for global lookups. Example resolvconf.conf for dnsmasq: nameservers=127.0.0.1 dnsmasq_conf=/etc/dnsmasq-conf.conf dnsmasq_resolv=/etc/dnsmasq-resolv.conf Example dnsmasq.conf: listen-address=127.0.0.1 conf-file=/etc/dnsmasq-conf.conf resolv-file=/etc/dnsmasq-resolv.conf named_options Include this file in the named options block. This file tells named which nameservers to use for global lookups. named_zones Include this file in the named global scope, after the options block. This file tells named which nameservers to use for specific domains. Example resolvconf.conf for named: nameservers=127.0.0.1 named_options=/etc/named-options.conf named_zones=/etc/named-zones.conf Example named.conf: options { listen-on { 127.0.0.1; }; include /etc/named-options.conf; }; include /etc/named-zones.conf; pdnsd_conf This is the main pdnsd configuration file which we modify to add our forward domains to. If this variable is not set then we rely on the pdnsd configuration file setup to read pdnsd_resolv as documented below. pdnsd_resolv This file tells pdnsd about global nameservers. If this variable is not set then it's written to pdnsd_conf. Example resolvconf.conf for pdnsd: nameservers=127.0.0.1 pdnsd_conf=/etc/pdnsd.conf # pdnsd_resolv=/etc/pdnsd-resolv.conf Example pdnsd.conf: global { server_ip = 127.0.0.1; status_ctl = on; } server { # A server definition is required, even if emtpy. label="empty"; proxy_only=on; # file="/etc/pdnsd-resolv.conf"; } unbound_conf This file tells unbound about specific and global nameservers. Example resolvconf.conf for unbound: nameservers=127.0.0.1 unbound_conf=/etc/unbound-resolvconf.conf Example unbound.conf: include: /etc/unbound-resolvconf.conf SEE ALSO
resolv.conf(5) and resolvconf(8). AUTHORS
Roy Marples <roy@marples.name> BUGS
Please report them to http://roy.marples.name/projects/openresolv BSD
March 19, 2012 BSD