Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: change permission chmod
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users change permission chmod Post 302097988 by Minguccio75 on Thursday 30th of November 2006 03:48:29 AM
Old 11-30-2006
Thanks a lot!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

change file type to hidden using chmod command

I want to make a hidden file with chmod command. Example: I have a file name inputfile.txt -rw-r--r-- 1 xxxxxx xxxxxx 1388 Sep 12 05:41 inputfile.txt I want to hide that file using chmod command. Please tell me if it is possible or there is some other way to do this. Thanks... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rinku
2 Replies

2. AIX

Permission denied when rm or chmod

I got "Permission denied" error message when I rm or chmod a file. I'm the owner of the file "lice_20091123.tar". How can I solve this matter? lice@appl:/midasapp/lice> whoami lice lice@appl:/midasapp/lice> who am i guest pts/12 Nov 23 19:09 (ooo.ooo.ooo.oo) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kang
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

CHMOD....read only permission

After creating a user account...how do i verify if theres only read access on the account. If not read access would i enter chmod a-xw "username"? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

File permission by chmod

Hi, I have a typical problem. Consider the scenario: Folder1 ------> Folder2 ------> File1 ------> Folder3 Above is my folder structure, currently the user group "other" has no permissions. I wish to give "read" permission for "others" to File1 using a single command. chmod -R... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: animesh303
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change Rights Recursive with chmod

Hello, i want just to change Rights for a few direcories anf files, but some directories must be exclude. How can i put the command chmod as chmod -R 755 * exclude toto tata where toto and tata are directories Could you help me for that or must I use the find command Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: steiner
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can root user run chmod 000 permission shell script?

Hi, I have a shell script file which is set to access permission 000. When I login as root (sudo su) and try to run this script, I am getting the Permission denied error. I have read somewhere that root admin user can execute any kind of permission script. Then why this behavior? However, I can... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the permission to previously used in unix ( chmod )

I have changed the premission of a file to 777. Now I would like to change permission to previously used ( UNDO ). Is there any command ?:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change chmod on files in diff directories

I am looking for a small script to crawl through several directories and change a couple of files in each directory to read write status. Anyone have any ideas ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: zapper222
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change permission to a directory

Hi, How do i change the permission to read/write to a windows directory? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lg123
1 Replies

10. Red Hat

Permission denied error using chmod on a cifs mount

I have a RHEL 5.7 system with a cifs mount from a Windows 2007 file server that I need to fix the permissions on. Once the share is mounted the permission for the mount are 777. I need to change that to 770 on the top level directory and to 640 on the sub-directory .ssh/. But when I run chmod... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: westmoreland
0 Replies
CHMOD(1)						      General Commands Manual							  CHMOD(1)

NAME
chmod - change mode SYNOPSIS
chmod [ -Rf ] mode file ... DESCRIPTION
The mode of each named file is changed according to mode, which may be absolute or symbolic. An absolute mode is an octal number con- structed from the OR of the following modes: 4000 set user ID on execution 2000 set group ID on execution 1000 sticky bit, see chmod(2) 0400 read by owner 0200 write by owner 0100 execute (search in directory) by owner 0070 read, write, execute (search) by group 0007 read, write, execute (search) by others A symbolic mode has the form: [who] op permission [op permission] ... The who part is a combination of the letters u (for user's permissions), g (group) and o (other). The letter a stands for all, or ugo. If who is omitted, the default is a but the setting of the file creation mask (see umask(2)) is taken into account. Op can be + to add permission to the file's mode, - to take away permission and = to assign permission absolutely (all other bits will be reset). Permission is any combination of the letters r (read), w (write), x (execute), X (set execute only if file is a directory or some other execute bit is set), s (set owner or group id) and t (save text - sticky). Letters u, g, or o indicate that permission is to be taken from the current mode. Omitting permission is only useful with = to take away all permissions. When the -R option is given, chmod recursively descends its directory arguments setting the mode for each file as described above. When symbolic links are encountered, their mode is not changed and they are not traversed. If the -f option is given, chmod will not complain if it fails to change the mode on a file. EXAMPLES
The first example denies write permission to others, the second makes a file executable by all if it is executable by anyone: chmod o-w file chmod +X file Multiple symbolic modes separated by commas may be given. Operations are performed in the order specified. The letter s is only useful with u or g. Only the owner of a file (or the super-user) may change its mode. SEE ALSO
ls(1), chmod(2), stat(2), umask(2), chown(8) 7th Edition May 22, 1986 CHMOD(1)