Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help in FTP'ing multiple files Post 302097908 by berlin_germany on Wednesday 29th of November 2006 10:24:58 AM
Old 11-29-2006
Thanks a lot Srikanthus2002. I did as you mentioned and it's working fine when I try to FTP files in a directory "ftp`date '+%Y%m%d'`" on local server. But, when I try to ftp the same files to one more directory "ftp_verify`date '+%Y%m%d'`" on the local server using 'lcd' command, it do not copy anything there. Actually, to check wether files are FTP'ed correctly on local server, I need to use a verification logic in my script. And to do that I copy files from remote server in 2 different directories on local server and then compare them using 'diff' command in the script. Then after verification I delete the verification directory "ftp_verify`date '+%Y%m%d'`". Can you please explain, why it's not copying files in "ftp_verify`date '+%Y%m%d'`" directory? My scripts is like:

#!/bin/ksh
HOME1=/home/sri
echo " 1"

cd /home
mkdir ftp`date '+%Y%m%d'`
mkdir ftp_verify`date '+%Y%m%d'`
cd ftp`date '+%Y%m%d'`

ftp -n server_ip << END_INPUT > /tmp/ftp_files.log 2>&1
user username password
cd $HOME1
prompt
mget *.txt # copies files correctly
lcd /tmp/ftp_verify`date '+%Y%m%d'`
mget *.txt # Do not copy anything
bye
END_INPUT

cd /home
diff -w ftp`date '+%Y%m%d'` ftp_verify`date '+%Y%m%d'` > /dev/null

if [ $? -ne 0 ]
then
echo "Error: Files are not successfully FTP'd"
mailx -r user@vrfai030.private.annonymous.com -s \'"Files FTP failed'" user@annonymous.com < /tmp/ftp_fail.msg
exit 1
rm -r ftp_verify`date '+%Y%m%d'`

fi
exit 0

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Ftp'ing thru a Iptables NAT Masquerade

Greetings to all. My new firewall is giving me one hell of a problem. I'm running iptables and masquerading my intranet thru NAT. But here is the problem. Whenever I try to FTP to a server outside of my lan I get a 500 illegal port error. I've come to the conclusion that NAT is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phrater
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP'ing files with filenames in mail messege

Hi, I have created the following FTP script, which transfers daily “.txt” files from remote server in to a timestamped folder on local server. Once all files are FTP'ed, it then deletes files from remote server. When files are FTP'ed, I get a mail messege like, “Files are successfully transfered”,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: berlin_germany
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dynamically ftp'ing a file

Hi, I am having unix script that passes argument value to script. The script finds the file and keeps it in a directory. I need to ftp this file to another server. Please guide me how to acieve this. I am able to connect to ftp server but i am not able to use the unix argument in the ftp... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pyaranoid
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

size of a file that iam ftp ing

Hi, I want to compare the size of the files in my local machine before ftp ing it and the size of the file in the remote machine i.e after ftping . SO that the ftp is successful . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshr85
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

FTP'ing EBCDIC Characters from Mainframe

Hi All, I am new to this site, I have a requirement where in i have to FTP a file from mainframe to Unix box. The catch here is there are few Spanish characters like N with tilde(~) and a with ` etc., all other characters are coming fine but those mentioned above are not coming in a proper... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: harikiranr
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep'ing and sed'ing chunks in bash... need help on speeding up a log parser.

I have a file that is 20 - 80+ MB in size that is a certain type of log file. It logs one of our processes and this process is multi-threaded. Therefore the log file is kind of a mess. Here's an example: The logfile looks like: "DATE TIME - THREAD ID - Details", and a new file is created... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: elinenbe
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP multiple files from multiple directories

I have multiple files that starts as TRADE_LOG spread across multiple folders in the given structure.. ./dir1/1/TRADE_LOG*.gz ./dir2/10/TRADE_LOG*.gz ./dir11/12/TRADE_LOG*.gz ./dir12/13/TRADE_LOG*.gz when I do ftp uisng mput from the "." dir I am getting the below given error mput... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prasperl
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

FTP'ing the zipped file

Hi, I need to have a shell script that FTP's a zipped file from a particular location. I have some path and inside that path i will have folders like x_timestamp and inside x_timestamp there may many folders based upon events like y_111,y_222,y_333.Inside each event there will be another... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: weknowd
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ftp'ing multiple files to the remote server

unix shell script (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
2 Replies

10. Solaris

FTP-ing files from Windows server to UNIX server

I need to transfer files from a Windows server to the Unix server and have to run some shell script on it to get the required output. Is it possible to transfer files from Windows server to unix server through any shell script? If so can you please help me with the details. Thanks in... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk250
8 Replies
ftpconfig(1M)                                             System Administration Commands                                             ftpconfig(1M)

NAME
ftpconfig - set up anonymous FTP SYNOPSIS
ftpconfig [ftpdir] ftpconfig -d ftpdir DESCRIPTION
The ftpconfig script is executed by the super user to set up anonymous FTP. Anonymous FTP allows users to remotely log on to the FTP server by specifying the user name ftp or anonymous and the user's email address as password. The anonymous users are logged on to the FTP Server and given access to a restricted file area with its own file system root. See chroot(2). The FTP area has its own minimal system files. This command will copy and set up all the components needed to operate an anonymous FTP server, including creating the ftp user account, creating device nodes, copying /usr/lib files, and copying timezone data. The passwd and group files set up have been stripped down to prevent malicious users from finding login names on the server. The anonymous file area will be placed under ftpdir. If the ftp user account already exists, then the current FTP area is used, and the system files in it are updated. All other files are left untouched. This command should be run to update the anonymous FTP area's configuration whenever a system patch is installed, or the system is upgraded. OPTIONS
-d Create a new or update an existing ftpdir without creating or updating the ftp user account. Use this option when creating guest FTP user accounts. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: ftpdir The absolute pathname of the directory under which the anonymous FTP area is set up. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion 1 Improper usage of the command 2 Command failed ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWftpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
ftpaddhost(1M), in.ftpd(1M), useradd(1M), chroot(2), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 1 May 2003 ftpconfig(1M)