Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: segmentation fault
Top Forums Programming segmentation fault Post 302097459 by rockgal on Friday 24th of November 2006 10:21:36 PM
Old 11-24-2006
Question segmentation fault

ive written my code in C for implementation of a simple lexical analyser using singly linked list hence am making use of dynamic allocation,but when run in linux it gives a segmentation fault is it cause of the malloc function that ive made use of????any suggestions as to what i could do???
thank you!!

Last edited by rockgal; 12-03-2006 at 01:02 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Segmentation Fault

hello all, I tried a program on an array to intialise array elements from the standard input device.it is an integer array of 5 elements.but after entering the 4th element it throws a message called "Segmentation Fault" and returns to the command prompt without asking for the 5th element. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: compbug
3 Replies

2. Programming

Hi! segmentation fault

I have written a program which takes a directory as command line arguments and displays all the dir and files in it. I don't know why I have a problem with the /etc directory.It displays all the directories and files untill it reaches a sub directory called peers which is in /etc/ppp/peers.the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijlak
4 Replies

3. AIX

Segmentation fault

Hi , During execution a backup binary i get following error "Program error 11 (Segmentation fault), saving core file in '/usr/datatools" Riyaz (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rshaikh
2 Replies

4. Programming

Why not a segmentation fault??

Hi, Why I don't receive a segmentation fault in the following sample. int main(void) { char buff; sprintf(buff,"Hello world"); printf("%s\n",buff); } If I define a buffer of 10 elements and I'm trying to put inside it twelve elements, Should I receive a sigsev... (22 Replies)
Discussion started by: lagigliaivan
22 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Segmentation Fault

Hi, While comparing primary key data of two tables thr bteq script I am getting this Error. This script is a shell script. *** Error: The following error was encountered on the output file. Script.sh: 3043492 Segmentation fault(coredump) Please let me know how to get through it. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: monika
5 Replies

6. Programming

segmentation fault

Hi, I am having this segmentation fault not in the following program, bt. in my lab program . My lab program is horrible long so cannot post it here bt. I am using the following logic in my program which is giving the segmentation fault. Bt. if I run this sample program as it is it dosen't give... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mind@work
3 Replies

7. Programming

Using gdb, ignore beginning segmentation fault until reproduce environment segmentation fault

I use a binary name (ie polo) it gets some parameter , so for debugging normally i do this : i wrote script for watchdog my app (polo) and check every second if it's not running then start it , the problem is , if my app , remain in state of segmentation fault for a while (ie 15 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pooyair
6 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

Segmentation Fault

this is a network programming code to run a rock paper scissors in a client and server. I completed it and it was working without any error. After I added the findWinner function to the server code it starts giving me segmentation fault. -the segmentation fault is fixed Current problem -Also... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: femchi
3 Replies

9. Programming

Segmentation fault

I keep getting this fault on a lot of the codes I write, I'm not exactly sure why so I'd really appreciate it if someone could explain the idea to me. For example this code #include <stdio.h> main() { unsigned long a=0; unsigned long b=0; int z; { printf("Enter two... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sizzler786
2 Replies

10. Programming

C. To segmentation fault or not to segmentation fault, that is the question.

Oddities with gcc, 2.95.3 for the AMIGA and 4.2.1 for MY current OSX 10.14.1... I am creating a basic calculator for the AMIGA ADE *NIX emulator in C as it does not have one. Below are two very condensed snippets of which I have added the results inside the each code section. IMPORTANT!... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
11 Replies
DYNARR(3pub)						       C Programmer's Manual						      DYNARR(3pub)

NAME
dynarr, dynarr_init, dynarr_resize, dynarr_free - simple dynamic arrays SYNOPSIS
#include <publib.h> void dynarr_init(struct dynarr *da, size_t elsize); int dynarr_resize(struct dynarr *da, size_t newsize); void dynarr_free(struct dynarr *da); DESCRIPTION
These functions make it easier to use dynamic arrays, i.e., arrays that are allocated with malloc(3) and resized with realloc(3). Below is a typical code fragment for implementing a dynamic array that is resized as more input is read. char *p, *line; size_t alloc, len; len = 0; alloc = 1024; if ((line = malloc(alloc)) == NULL) abort(); while (fgets(line + len, alloc-len, stdin) != NULL) { len = strlen(line); alloc += 1024; if ((p = realloc(alloc)) == NULL) abort(); alloc = p; } (The error handling is intentionally simplified.) Below is the above fragment with the dynarr(3). struct dynarr da; dynarr_init(&da); while (fgets((char *)da.data + da.used, da.alloc-da.len, stdin) != NULL) { da.used = strlen(da.data); if (dynarr_resize(&da, da.alloc + 1024) == -1) abort(); } The code is a bit simpler, and all the memory allocation details and most of the error checking code is hidden away. The dynamic array is represented by a struct dynarr: struct dynarr { void *data; size_t alloc, used; }; The interface to the dynamic allocation has intentionally been made unopaque. dynarr_init initializes a struct dynarr to be an empty array, dynarr_resize sets its size to be newsize, and dynarr_free frees the array (it will become an empty array again). RETURNS
dynarr_resize returns -1 if it failed, 0 if it succeeded. It does not change the array in any way if it failed. SEE ALSO
publib(3), malloc(3), realloc(3), strdup(3) AUTHOR
Lars Wirzenius (lars.wirzenius@helsinki.fi) Publib C Programmer's Manual DYNARR(3pub)