Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris external DVD-ROM drive for our datacentre Post 302097448 by reborg on Friday 24th of November 2006 11:34:01 AM
Old 11-24-2006
Really it shouldn't matter. If the protocol is correct and the machine is capable of booting from that protocol, then it shouldn't matter what you use. I generally just use whatever is lying around, sometimes it's old sun stuff sometimes not, it really doesn't matter.

Do you really even need to use a CD or DVD? I deal with a large number of servers, and never use CDs or DVDs in the datacenter. Media is loaded onto a single provisioning server and from there is installed on any, and all, other systems whether this is bare metal or otherwise.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

DVD-ROM on Solaris 2.6

Netra T1 running Solaris 2.6 with following DVD installed: c0t6d0 Soft Errors: 131 Hard Errors: 0 Transport Errors: 0 Vendor: TOSHIBA Product: DVD-ROM SD-M1401 Revision: 1007 I know the cdrw command isn't in Solaris until version 8 and DVD is suppose to be udfs (not supported... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RTM
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Installing Solaris x86 through an external DVD drive through the USB port...

Is there a way to install Solaris 10 x86 with an external DVD drive that connects through the USB port? I would think I would run GRUB off of a floppy disk and somehow use that to make it look to the USB port to boot from but I don't know how to do that. Can anyone help me out? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
1 Replies

3. Solaris

SunFire V245, External CD/DVD-ROM, Solaris Install

Hey all. Wondering - I have a pair of V245's with no internal CD/DVD-ROM drives, and I want to install the latest/greatest Solaris 10. Booting these machines with an external drive plugged in via USB does no good. Is jumpstart or installing internal drives the only alternative? I'm a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: b1f30
1 Replies

4. Solaris

cd rom to dvd rom drive swap

Hello, I need to replace a cd rom drive with a dvd rom drive in a SunFire v120 running Solaris 8. My objective is to install Solaris 10 from dvd disc. Downloading Solaris 10 cd discs is not an option since I am in Baghdad, Iraq and connection speeds are horrible. So far, all I can get is power to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: 555
9 Replies

5. HP-UX

External DVD-ROM drive issue whether it is working or not? on HP rp7400

Please help me > How to diag the external DVD-ROM drive issue whether it is working or not? on HP 9000 server rp7400 I needed to install HP 11i v1 using external DVD-ROM drive on HP 9000 server rp7400. While boot in CO> “search” command is not showing DVD-ROM device only showing all disks >... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tpuser
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

external DVD-ROM drive issue whether it is working or not?on HP rp74000

old clunker - rp74000 How to diag the external DVD-ROM drives issue whether it is working or not? on HP 9000 server rp7400 Please help me > I needed to install HP 11i v1 using external DVD-ROM drive on HP 9000 server rp7400. While boot in CO> “search” command is not showing DVD-ROM device... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tpuser
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Verify DVD Rom?

Hi All, I'm a total noob when it comes to troubleshooting Sun hardware issues, however, I've been tasked with just a task. How can I verify if the DVD rom is working in a Sun system? We've put in the dvd, but can't do anything. This is from command line. Thanks. ---------- Post updated at... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bbbngowc
1 Replies

8. Solaris

V210 USB Dvd Rom

Is there anyway to get a USB DVD ROM to work on a V210/V240/V440 SPARC systems for initial installation? I'm drawing a blank and I can't seem to find any documentation on this. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: adelsin
3 Replies

9. AIX

AIX 5.3 on p275 - DVD-ROM drive not recognized

I was having problems with the DVD-ROM drive not being recognized. I thought it was a configuration issue, but it appears to be a hardware problem. Now the system hangs at boot. This last time I tried it, it said: At which point, it hangs. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smithfarm
1 Replies

10. Hardware

inability to use cd rom or dvd burner

Here is my conundrum . I am unable to access my cd or dvd after I supposedly alter the BIOS setting to enable a "Live" CD or DVD to be used. Would ,changing the Hard Drive or Motherboard remedy the situation. Thanking you, katosan:wall::wall: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: katosan
2 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)