Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: chmod 777 security risks?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers chmod 777 security risks? Post 302097261 by Gary777 on Wednesday 22nd of November 2006 11:13:49 PM
Old 11-23-2006
Thanks Blowtorch

Thanks for the reply Blowtorch,

I am still not clear about the answer though... Lets say someone broke into my garage and the files were not chmod'ed 666 or 777, (all files are 644 right now) are you saying that all they can do is look around and read files? But if the files were 666 or 777 they could do whatever they want to?

Are you also saying that it's possible to gain access to public_html (for instance) but not the root directories?

Ok, regarding my partner, he is not computer savvy but he knows a little HTML, SnippetMaster allows users to "edit LIVE html in the page" from their browser, you can define "snippet" areas within a page that are editable, there are different user levels where you can set different rights/areas that they can edit (it's actually very cool!) The user doesn't need to know; how to use FTP, how to upload or how to do other backend tasks, they just log-in and edit parts of a live page in a WYSIWYG editor within their browser. I use a lot of SSI, PHP, JS and CGI code on our web site and it's possible he could really mess things up if he has upload access.

Lastly, let me ask a question, should I absolutely not chmod 666 or 777 my .shtml and .html files? I guess I could chmod only the base html files that I include via SSI but that means a LOT more work for me...

Happy Holidays!

Gary

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod 777 on all directories below...how do I do that using the "find" command?

I've got 100 directories that each have 2 directories with in them. Structered like this: /home/domains/domain1/ through to /home/domains/domain100/ and those 2 directories mentioned above are here: /home/domains/domain1/directory1/ /home/domains/domain1/directory2/ through to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neko
7 Replies

2. Solaris

chmod -R 777 in /usr Solaris 9 = Major Screwup

Hello Everyone: One of our admins here accidently ran chmod -R 777 in the /usr folder on a V440 running Solaris 9. After that no one could run any command and could not login. I fixed most of the things by re-restricting some rights and applying the correct rights. Now there is a problem... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muntaser_zaheer
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod 777 * - oops

I can belive I really did this... chmod 777 /home :eek: I have my /home directory synced to another machine. Can anyone tell me how to get the permissions from back up server /home to production server /home It's important that I dont over write the files on the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shunter63
1 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

can another user 777 and existing 777 dirctory?

User usrA creates dirA directory and runs chmod 777 on the directory. Can usrB issue another 777 on dirA? It appears the answer is no even if the usrA and usrB are part of the same group. I know this is a rare scenario but I just ran across it and found out that usrB receives an error when... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zlek131
4 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

What is the difference between chmod in solaris and chmod in Linux?

i think it is the same in both... Iam i right? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumaiya
1 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

chmod -R 777 * in cygwin

Hello, I use windows XP on a small server. Lately I downloaded a software (hydrological computation) which asked me to install as well the software ‘cygwin' (kind of linux in windows environment) and then to perform in cygwin window the command: ‘chmod -R 777 *' in order to give writings... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cedalise
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Only allowing chmod 777 for file upload folder

Hey everyone. I have 2 different linux servers (each one is through a different web hosting company). On both servers I have the exact same PHP file upload script that allows users to upload a file or image to the server (everything on both servers is identical). On server #1 the "attachments"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.Canuck
5 Replies
runit-init(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     runit-init(8)

NAME
init - a UNIX process no 1 SYNOPSIS
init [ 0 | 6 ] DESCRIPTION
runit-init is the first process the kernel starts. If runit-init is started as process no 1, it runs and replaces itself with runit(8). If runit-init is started while the system is up, it must be either called as init 0 or init 6: init 0 tells the Unix process no 1 to shutdown and halt the system. To signal runit(8) the system halt request, runit-init removes all permissions of the file /etc/runit/reboot (chmod 0), and sets the execute by owner permission of the file /etc/runit/stopit (chmod 100). Then a CONT signal is sent to runit(8). init 6 tells the Unix process no 1 to shutdown and reboot the system. To signal runit(8) the system reboot request, runit-init sets the execute by owner permission of the files /etc/runit/reboot and /etc/runit/stopit (chmod 100). Then a CONT signal is sent to runit(8). EXIT CODES
runit-init returns 111 on error, 0 in all other cases. SEE ALSO
runit(8), runsvdir(8), runsvchdir(8), sv(8), runsv(8), chpst(8), utmpset(8), svlogd(8) http://smarden.org/runit/ AUTHOR
Gerrit Pape <pape@smarden.org> runit-init(8)