Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: chmod 777 security risks?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers chmod 777 security risks? Post 302097258 by Gary777 on Wednesday 22nd of November 2006 10:18:20 PM
Old 11-22-2006
Thanks - Can you tell me more?

Thanks for the reply, can you elabaorate just a bit?

Are you saying that unless a person (perhaps a hacker) has access to my shell account or FTP access to my server then he really can't harm the existing .html and .shtml files that I would chmod 666 or 777?

It seems to me that regardless of how I chmod the files in public_html, if a hacker gains access to my server he would be deduction have access to dirs deeper than /public_html right?

Ok, I just did an experiment, I chmod 777'ed an html file and tried to edit and publish it with Composer, if I don't enter a user name and password for the FTP upload it will not let me write the file. It also says the directory is password protected which I expected.

Is it possible for someone to hack this chmod'ed 777 file? I understand that it would not be wise to explain how in a public forum but I simply can't upload that application until I am certain my site will be safe.

Also, is it possible for anyone not on my server to tell what the write permissions are set to?

Thanks and regards,

Gary

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod 777 on all directories below...how do I do that using the "find" command?

I've got 100 directories that each have 2 directories with in them. Structered like this: /home/domains/domain1/ through to /home/domains/domain100/ and those 2 directories mentioned above are here: /home/domains/domain1/directory1/ /home/domains/domain1/directory2/ through to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neko
7 Replies

2. Solaris

chmod -R 777 in /usr Solaris 9 = Major Screwup

Hello Everyone: One of our admins here accidently ran chmod -R 777 in the /usr folder on a V440 running Solaris 9. After that no one could run any command and could not login. I fixed most of the things by re-restricting some rights and applying the correct rights. Now there is a problem... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: muntaser_zaheer
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

chmod 777 * - oops

I can belive I really did this... chmod 777 /home :eek: I have my /home directory synced to another machine. Can anyone tell me how to get the permissions from back up server /home to production server /home It's important that I dont over write the files on the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shunter63
1 Replies

4. Cybersecurity

can another user 777 and existing 777 dirctory?

User usrA creates dirA directory and runs chmod 777 on the directory. Can usrB issue another 777 on dirA? It appears the answer is no even if the usrA and usrB are part of the same group. I know this is a rare scenario but I just ran across it and found out that usrB receives an error when... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zlek131
4 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

What is the difference between chmod in solaris and chmod in Linux?

i think it is the same in both... Iam i right? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sumaiya
1 Replies

6. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

chmod -R 777 * in cygwin

Hello, I use windows XP on a small server. Lately I downloaded a software (hydrological computation) which asked me to install as well the software ‘cygwin' (kind of linux in windows environment) and then to perform in cygwin window the command: ‘chmod -R 777 *' in order to give writings... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cedalise
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Only allowing chmod 777 for file upload folder

Hey everyone. I have 2 different linux servers (each one is through a different web hosting company). On both servers I have the exact same PHP file upload script that allows users to upload a file or image to the server (everything on both servers is identical). On server #1 the "attachments"... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mr.Canuck
5 Replies
sticky(5)                                               Standards, Environments, and Macros                                              sticky(5)

NAME
sticky - mark files for special treatment DESCRIPTION
The sticky bit (file mode bit 01000, see chmod(2)) is used to indicate special treatment of certain files and directories. A directory for which the sticky bit is set restricts deletion of files it contains. A file in a sticky directory can only be removed or renamed by a user who has write permission on the directory, and either owns the file, owns the directory, has write permission on the file, or is a privi- leged user. Setting the sticky bit is useful for directories such as /tmp, which must be publicly writable but should deny users permission to arbitrarily delete or rename the files of others. If the sticky bit is set on a regular file and no execute bits are set, the system's page cache will not be used to hold the file's data. This bit is normally set on swap files of diskless clients so that accesses to these files do not flush more valuable data from the sys- tem's cache. Moreover, by default such files are treated as swap files, whose inode modification times may not necessarily be correctly recorded on permanent storage. Any user may create a sticky directory. See chmod for details about modifying file modes. SEE ALSO
chmod(1), chmod(2), chown(2), mkdir(2), rename(2), unlink(2) BUGS
The mkdir(2) function will not create a directory with the sticky bit set. SunOS 5.10 1 Aug 2002 sticky(5)