Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: equation calculation on Unix
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers equation calculation on Unix Post 302096547 by justsam on Thursday 16th of November 2006 07:56:04 AM
Old 11-16-2006
sed 's/\*/\\\*/' file1 > dummy
sed 's/\//\\\//' dummy > file2
while read line
do
echo "$line \c" >> Output
echo "$line" | bc >> Output
done < file2
justsam

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK equation evaluation.

Hi, Is there a way to evaluate an equation contained in a string within an AWK script? For example: A = "(5*2)-1" (this equation is read from a file and varies line by line) In this example, I can't see any way to get an answer of 9 unless I do: cmd = "awk 'BEGIN{print "A"}'" cmd |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: srdgeo
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

calculation

Hi, I am in ksh88 I am trying to get the result of the calculation using 3 variables: TOTAL CAPACITY and get the following error: $DB_CAPACITY=(( $DB_SIZE * 100 / $TOTAL )) ksh: syntax error: `((' unexpected I cannot figure out what am I doing wrong... Thanks for any help -A (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - maths equation - need help

if input to the perl program is ' ( p * ((a+b) * (c+d))) + q ' it shuld give the output as ' pac + pad + pbc + pbd + q ' .can anyone suggest a way to do this ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anuj8584
7 Replies

4. High Performance Computing

Performance Equation

I'm running a MPI program using a cluster of 4 machines(different machines of different processing power,cpu utilization etc.). I'm trying to balance the computation among the machine to get the minimum execution time for that. I tried to balance it by creating a threshold value by taking the load... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chamila1986
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Calculation

Hi, i have a large file like this: Contig1 1 5 Contig1 2 4 Contig1 3 3 Contig1 4 5 Contig1 5 3 Contig1 6 4 Contig2 1 3 Contig2 2 7 Contig2 3 2 Contig2 4 9 Contig2 5 10 Contig2 6 3 Contig2 7 7 Contig2 8 2 Contig2 9 7 Contig2 10 5 contig1 2 4 contig1 3 3 contig1 4 5 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: the_simpsons
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with insert a value equation in bash script

HI All, I have a script in bash that i want that script will perform action When the size of a particular folder exceeds the 80%. Here is an example of script that result is exactly 80% : #!/bin/bash CHECK=$(df -h /var/log/syslog | grep '80%' | xargs echo | cut -d' ' -f5) if ];... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Aviel.shani
1 Replies

7. Homework & Coursework Questions

Solving heat equation using crank-nicolsan scheme in FORTRAN

! The one-dimensional PDE for heat diffusion equation ! u_t=(D(u)u_x)_x + s where u(x,t) is the temperature, ! D(u) is the diffusivity and s(x,t) is a source term. ! Taking D(u)= 1 and s(x,t)=0 gives ! u_t= u_xx ! uniform one dimensional region |x|<1 for t>0 ! uniform mesh size delta x=0.1 !... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: watto1
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Date calculation in UNIX

I want to automate change in 'from yyyy/mm/dd to yyyy/mm/dd' every month in a unix program. For example in this month 'from yyyy/mm/dd to yyyy/mm/dd' is 'from 2014/10/01 to 2014/11/01' next month it should be 'from 2014/11/01 to 2014/12/01' Can any one provide me the code for the above... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivas kasett
2 Replies

9. Programming

E**(i*pi)=-1 or e**(j*pi)=-1, something I found out in Python using part of Eulers Identit equation.

Well guys and gals I have discovered after all these years that Python does complex numbers without the 'complex()' function or 'cmath' import. It is well known that Euler's Identity E**(i*pi)+1=0 so I decided to experiment Last login: Fri Dec 13 18:27:30 on ttys000 AMIGA:amiga~> python3.8... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
0 Replies
diff3(1)						      General Commands Manual							  diff3(1)

Name
       diff3 - 3-way differential file comparison

Syntax
       diff3 [-ex3] file1 file2 file3

Description
       The command compares three versions of a file, and publishes the ranges of text that disagree, flagged with the following codes:

====	      all three files differ

====1       file1 is different

====2       file2 is different

====3       file3 is different

The type of change needed to convert a given range of a given file to some other is indicated in one of these ways:

f : n1 a    Text is to be appended after line number n1 in file f, where f = 1, 2, or 3.

f : n1 , n2 c
		      Text is to be changed in the range line n1 to line n2.  If n1 = n2, the range may be abbreviated to n1.

The original contents of the range follows immediately after a c indication.  When the contents of two files are identical, the contents of
       the lower-numbered file is suppressed.

Options
       -3   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file1 and file2 that are to be incorporated into file3.

-e	   Produces an editor script containing the changes between file2 and file3 that are to be incorporated into file1.

-x	   Produces an editor script containing the changes among all three files.

Examples
       Under the -e option, publishes a script for the editor that incorporates into file1 all changes between file2 and  file3  -  that  is,  the
       changes	that would normally be flagged ==== and ====3.	Option -x (-3) produces a script to incorporate only changes flagged ==== (====3).
       The following command applies the resulting script to `file1':
       (cat script; echo '1,$p') | ed - file1

Restrictions
       Text lines that consist of a single `.'	defeat -e.

Files
       /tmp/d3?????
       /usr/lib/diff3

See Also
       cmp(1), comm(1), diff(1), dffmk(1), join(1), sccsdiff(1), uniq(1)

diff3(1)