Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris make issue when I add some members into a NIS group on solaris 9,please help !! Post 302096353 by Tornado on Wednesday 15th of November 2006 06:46:27 AM
Old 11-15-2006
There is a limit to the number of entries you can have in a group.
Off the top of my head I think it was around the 255 mark. To get around this you can use nested groups.

In your case you could create another group called develop2 and another called develop3 and develop4 and so on...

Then you would remove users from the develop group and add them to develop2, develop3, develop4 ..etc . then you add develop2 develop3 develop4 to develop

So your develop groups would look something like this.

Code:
develop::200:root,vobadm,develop2,develop3,develop4
develop2::200:bej00189,bej00183,bej00041,bej00058,bej00206
develop3::200:bej00147,bej00164,bej00161,bej00113,bej00197
develop4::200:bej00200,bej00155,bej00166,bej00244,bej00119
:
etc...

Tornado

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NIS group vs local group

Hi everyone, I'm new to UNIX so plz excuse me if this sounds foolish Assume there exists a group 'xyz' on the NIS as well as on the local UNIX box. And we added the user 'test' to the local group. Which group priveleges will 'test' have? do reply.. thanks, VJ. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjsony
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

solaris 9 php-4.3.4 make issue

compiling 4.3.4 i'm running into the following error: quote: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Undefined first referenced symbol in file uncompress /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(my_compress.o) compress... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

listing members of a unix group

I know there is a "groups" command to list the groups a user belongs to, but how about the opposite? Is there a standard command to find out which users belong to a particular group? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ovaska
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 9 NIS user creation issue

Helloo to all... what is the correct way to assign a password to a new NIS user on a NIS master server? When I the following: useradd -s /bin/bash -d /export/home/username -m username The user get created fine but when I try to assign a password I get: #passwd username... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: GLJ@USC
0 Replies

5. Programming

allowing members of a group to kill a process

I've written a python program where I want to allow members of a specific group the ability to kill it, and I'm not sure how to do it. I've been looking at the setuid() and setgid() and similar functions in the os module, but haven't been able to get them to work. I can't seem to change the uid or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vastcharade
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get a list of group members?

Is there a command to get a list of group members? Something similar to the groups command, but instead of passing a username and returning groups, you pass it a groupname, and it returns members? It is difficult to do it manually because the group membership information is split across two... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: akbar
5 Replies

7. AIX

How to allow group members to kill process?

Hey I'm writing a script that creates some processes,and some scripts which kill those processes. the question is Simply: How can I allow group members to be able to kill processes created by other member at the same group? I need your help as soon as possible Thanks for your help in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Dark Knight
4 Replies

8. Linux

members in a group

Hi all, I am new to Linux.Can anyone tell me how to display or list all the members in a group? Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: arthi
9 Replies

9. Solaris

How to list group members in solaris 9

Hi, I already gone through with old post regarding listing the group members and tried the command getenv group other the result is other::1:root i listed my part of the /etc/passwd file below test1:x:100:1::/home/test1:/bin/sh test2:x:101:1::/home/test2:/bin/ksh... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vr_mari
7 Replies

10. Solaris

NIS/smtp services issue on Solaris 11

Hi, Few services not starting on new build Solaris 11 non-global zone. I uninstalled zone and reinstalled and still same issue, while global zone is working fine. smpt service is going into maintenance mode and /var/svc/log/network-smtp:sendmail.log shows that it tries and then dead ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
0 Replies
groupadd(1M)						  System Administration Commands					      groupadd(1M)

NAME
groupadd - add (create) a new group definition on the system SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/groupadd [ -g gid [-o]] group DESCRIPTION
The groupadd command creates a new group definition on the system by adding the appropriate entry to the /etc/group file. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -g gid Assigns the group id gid for the new group. This group id must be a non-negative decimal integer below MAXUID as defined in /usr/include/sys/param.h. The group ID defaults to the next available (unique) number above the highest number currently assigned. For example, if groups 100, 105, and 200 are assigned as groups, the next default group number will be 201. (Group IDs from 0-99 are reserved by SunOS for future applications.) -o Allows the gid to be duplicated (non-unique). OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: group A string consisting of characters from the set of lower case alphabetic characters and numeric characters. A warning message will be written if the string exceeds MAXGLEN, which is usually set at eight characters. The group field must contain at least one character; it accepts lower case or numeric characters or a combination of both, and must not contain a colon (:) or NEWLINE. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. 2 Invalid command syntax. A usage message for the groupadd command is displayed. 3 An invalid argument was provided to an option. 4 The gid is not unique (when -o option is not used). 9 The group is not unique. 10 The /etc/group file cannot be updated. FILES
/etc/group /usr/include/userdefs.h ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
users(1B), groupdel(1M), groupmod(1M), grpck(1M), logins(1M), pwck(1M), useradd(1M), userdel(1M), usermod(1M), group(4), attributes(5) NOTES
groupadd only adds a group definition to the local system. If a network name service such as NIS or NIS+ is being used to supplement the local /etc/group file with additional entries, groupadd cannot change information supplied by the network name service. However, groupadd will verify the uniqueness of group name and group ID against the external name service. SunOS 5.10 27 Mar 1998 groupadd(1M)