Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Removing empty spaces and adding commas Post 302095980 by mona on Monday 13th of November 2006 05:15:29 AM
Old 11-13-2006
Code:
$ cat sample
1234 9876  6789    5677   3452
9087   4562   1367   2678  7891
$ sed 's/\( \)\{1,\}/,/g' sample
$

or

Code:
$ sed 's/ \+/,/g' sample

HTH,
Mona

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

removing commas from text file

Dear all I have a file which looks like this xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,xxx,xxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,xxx,xxxxxxxxxx etc basically 14 characters then a comma, three characters, then a comma then 10 characters. We are uploading this file to our mainframe and they want the commas removed, so it... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

2. Linux

How do i remove commas(,) & spaces

Hey guys, I am very much new to shell scripts. So you ppl may feel that i am asking stupid question here. :D 1. I am using command line argument as an input variable. The user gets this value in his mail from client which has commas n spaces (Eg. 12,34,56,789) and the scripts... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in removing commas

i have the below line as output from a script. I want to delete the string "," and get the output without comma, cat D* | grep "bytes free" | awk '{print $3}' | ????? output: 40,966,189,056 Desired O/P: 40966189056 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ali560045
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

parsing log files, removing spaces and replace with commas

Hello all i am working on a database to import log files from my systems, but i cannot seem to find the answer. I searched here for a good bit and couldnt peice together what i was looking for. I know you could do this with awk, i just dont know how. Any help would be greatly appreciated.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: caddyjoe77
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

append file by adding commas

Hi, Iam working on Sun solaris machine.I have a file with ids in the below format. 1 2 3 4 5 I want it as: 1,2,3,4,5 I use these commands individually to get into that format: vi file /1,$s/$/,/g This adds commas in the file and then i save it. next i use this command :... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jyothi_wipro
8 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed and replacing white spaces with commas

Dear all, I am in a bit of a quandary. I have 400 text files which I need to edit and output in a very specific way. Here is a sample text file copied from gedit ... The columns will come out a bit messed up but when I cat <file>, it gives a table with six columns (0-28, tot lob vol, vcsf,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: antonz
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with removing additional commas in string

Hi Experts, I have below strings hello,hi,,,,,,start date age,code,,,,,61,season I am trying to format this string to hello,hi,start date age,code,61,season Can anyone please help me in achieving this? Kind Regards, RB (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramakanth_burra
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash: adding commas in for loop

Dear Experts I think this is possibly the easiest thing. but I am not able to solve: I need comma to be added to end of each line echo'd. But does not want it to be added to last line. I have a script which does some data analysis and creates a command as in below code snippet for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chakrapani
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing just the trailing commas :-(

Hi all, I haven't needed to do any shell based editing for nearly 20 years, and no amount of searching around has found me a solution to this very simple problem :-( I have a csv file. Some lines have three commas at the end. This means the invoice hasn't been paid. I'd like to use sed / grep... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chardyzulu
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Removing commas from CSV file

Hi I'm creating a sh script to generate a csv file. The CSV contains the values from a sql table. The content looks this: a,b,c,c2,c3,,,,,,,,,,,d,e I have some code that can separate the fields using the comma as delimiter, but some values actually contain commas, such as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: preema
2 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. Please notice this option isn't related to the terminal length as in a "80 culums terminal". --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do right to left (RTL) layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter and A4. Default is A4. Postscript points Each postscript point equals to 1/72 of an inch. 36 points are 1/2 of an inch. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36 postscript points. --gutter-width=gw Set gutter width. Default is 40 postscript points. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)