Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris make issue when I add some members into a NIS group on solaris 9,please help !! Post 302095823 by RTM on Friday 10th of November 2006 10:22:18 AM
Old 11-10-2006
Do all these bej00xxx accounts belong to develop group in the passwd file? If so, then they don't need to be listed in the group file.

Code:
grep bej00189 passwd
bej00189:2f3wdfsd93r:5001:200:develop account 189:/home/develop:/bin/ksh

So if bej00189's group is 200, which is equal to develop, then don't put that account into the group file under develop.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

NIS group vs local group

Hi everyone, I'm new to UNIX so plz excuse me if this sounds foolish Assume there exists a group 'xyz' on the NIS as well as on the local UNIX box. And we added the user 'test' to the local group. Which group priveleges will 'test' have? do reply.. thanks, VJ. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjsony
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

solaris 9 php-4.3.4 make issue

compiling 4.3.4 i'm running into the following error: quote: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Undefined first referenced symbol in file uncompress /usr/local/mysql/lib/libmysqlclient.a(my_compress.o) compress... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

listing members of a unix group

I know there is a "groups" command to list the groups a user belongs to, but how about the opposite? Is there a standard command to find out which users belong to a particular group? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ovaska
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris 9 NIS user creation issue

Helloo to all... what is the correct way to assign a password to a new NIS user on a NIS master server? When I the following: useradd -s /bin/bash -d /export/home/username -m username The user get created fine but when I try to assign a password I get: #passwd username... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: GLJ@USC
0 Replies

5. Programming

allowing members of a group to kill a process

I've written a python program where I want to allow members of a specific group the ability to kill it, and I'm not sure how to do it. I've been looking at the setuid() and setgid() and similar functions in the os module, but haven't been able to get them to work. I can't seem to change the uid or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vastcharade
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get a list of group members?

Is there a command to get a list of group members? Something similar to the groups command, but instead of passing a username and returning groups, you pass it a groupname, and it returns members? It is difficult to do it manually because the group membership information is split across two... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: akbar
5 Replies

7. AIX

How to allow group members to kill process?

Hey I'm writing a script that creates some processes,and some scripts which kill those processes. the question is Simply: How can I allow group members to be able to kill processes created by other member at the same group? I need your help as soon as possible Thanks for your help in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Dark Knight
4 Replies

8. Linux

members in a group

Hi all, I am new to Linux.Can anyone tell me how to display or list all the members in a group? Thanks in advance. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: arthi
9 Replies

9. Solaris

How to list group members in solaris 9

Hi, I already gone through with old post regarding listing the group members and tried the command getenv group other the result is other::1:root i listed my part of the /etc/passwd file below test1:x:100:1::/home/test1:/bin/sh test2:x:101:1::/home/test2:/bin/ksh... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: vr_mari
7 Replies

10. Solaris

NIS/smtp services issue on Solaris 11

Hi, Few services not starting on new build Solaris 11 non-global zone. I uninstalled zone and reinstalled and still same issue, while global zone is working fine. smpt service is going into maintenance mode and /var/svc/log/network-smtp:sendmail.log shows that it tries and then dead ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
0 Replies
vipw(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   vipw(8)

NAME
vipw,vigr - edit the password, group or shadow file SYNOPSIS
vipw [-g|-p|-s] vigr [-g|-p|-s] DESCRIPTION
vipw/vigr edits the passwd,group or shadow file after setting the appropriate locks to prevent file corruption. vipw edits per default the /etc/passwd file, vigr the /etc/group file. Extended attributes (like ACLs or security attributes) are preserved. ENVIRONMENT
EDITOR If the environment variable exists, the editor specified by this variable is used instead of the default vi(1). OPTIONS
-g, --group Edit /etc/group. -p, --passwd Edit /etc/passwd. -s, --shadow Edit /etc/shadow. -u, --usage Print a usage message and exit. --help Print a more verbose help text and exit. Print version information and exit. FILES
/etc/group - group account information /etc/passwd - user account information /etc/shadow - shadow account information SEE ALSO
attr(5), passwd(1), passwd(5), shadow(5), vi(1) AUTHOR
Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@suse.de> pwdutils October 2003 vipw(8)