Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: List grep results
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers List grep results Post 302094029 by jim mcnamara on Tuesday 24th of October 2006 03:01:50 PM
Old 10-24-2006
mc is the bane of unix - IMO
redirect the output to a file, then edit the output file...

Code:
grep 'whatever detail I need'  /path/to/db/files/*.dbf > outputfile

then open outputfile an read it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to refine results of grep -p

I need help to further reduce the output shown below. I want to be able to only return the paragraph where the 'Database alias' is exactly equal to DBIHP. I do not want the other paragraphs being shown below. $ echo $dbalias DBIHP $ db2 list db directory|grep -p 'Database alias ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: priceb
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

My ps -ef|grep command results are chopped off

On our one HP-UX 11i box, we have some very long paths defined. When I want to check on our user processes running, the resulting paths are chopped off. /xyz/abc/123/......./server/b is really a process running in the ..../server/bin directory. Is this a terminal problem or buffer length... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bsp18974
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting patterns from the results of grep

Hi All, I'm struggling with a problem that I'm wondering (and hoping!) that someone can help me with. I have a number of .xml files which I'm using grep to search for the string 'include'. I need to extract the value of the include from the grep result. For example, on any given file, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Steve_altius
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding grep'd results in a variable

Here is one I am baffled with; I have not used unix for a while and now that I am back it has been fun remembering and I have enjoyed it, for the most past. this is in ksh. I need to search in a file for the line with X1 and cut columns 20-25, put them into a variable, added them (dollar... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: CougarMutt
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep no results

Hello guys, I have been looking around but can't find the answer to my problem: If the grep command displays no results, print "no results have been found" and increment x. But if the grep command find something, do nothing. if echo "no results have been found $x" x=`expr $x + 1 `... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Benou
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to do ls -l on results of grep and find?

Hi, Am running the command below to search for files that contains a certain string. grep -il "shutdown" `find . -type f -mtime -1 -print` | grep "^./scripts/active" How do I get it to do a ls -l on the list of files? I tried doing ls -l `grep -il "shutdown" `find . -type f -mtime -1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to analyse results of grep

Hi all, I'm working with a peice of software that runs on Linux that allows planning trips in cars through maps. This software has different variations depending on the type of car, e.g. BMW, Audi, Hyundai, etc... Each variation has a dependency on common external components that are not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: emoshaya
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep not giving expected results

Version: RHEL 5.8 I am doing a grep of the piped output from ps command as shown below. I am grepping for the pattern ora_dbw* . But, in the result set I am seeing strings with ora_dbr* as well like ora_dbrm_SDLM1DAS3 as shown below. Any idea why is this happening ? $ ps -ef | grep... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: John K
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to concatenate grep results?

hi, let's say we have input in files test1.txt, test2.txt, text3.txt ... ... ... ('...' means more files & lines not just 'dots') test1.txt has: A B C D ... ... ... test2.txt has A B C D ... ... ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: msonoth
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot get results from grep command

Hi, i have a file hello.log which as several line that look like the below 2015-12-07 09:46:56 0:339 120.111.12.12 POST /helloWorld 2015-12-07 09:46:57 0:439 122.111.12.12 POST /helloWorld .... when i grep expecting to see results like the below. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
6 Replies
STRIP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  STRIP(1)

NAME
strip -- discard information from ELF objects SYNOPSIS
strip [-d | -g | -S | --strip-debug] [-h | --help] [--only-keep-debug] [-o outputfile | --output-file=outputfile] [-p | --preserve-dates] [-s | --strip-all] [--strip-unneeded] [-w | --wildcard] [-x | --discard-all] [-I format | --input-target=format] [-K symbol | --keep-symbol=symbol] [-N symbol | --strip-symbol=symbol] [-O format | --output-target=format] [-R sectionname | --remove-section=sectionname] [-V | --version] [-X | --discard-locals] file ... DESCRIPTION
The strip utility is used to discard information from ELF objects. The strip utility supports the following options: -d | -g | -S | --strip-debug Remove debugging symbols only. -h | --help Print a help message and exit. --only-keep-debug Remove all content except that which would be used for debugging. -o outputfile | --output-file=outputfile Write the stripped object to file outputfile. The default behaviour is to modify objects in place. -p | --preserve-dates Preserve the object's access and modification times. -s | --strip-all Remove all symbols. --strip-unneeded Remove all symbols not needed for further relocation processing. -w | --wildcard Use shell-style patterns to name symbols. The following meta-characters are recognized in patterns: ! If this is the first character of the pattern, invert the sense of the pattern match. * Matches any string of characters in a symbol name. ? Matches zero or one character in a symbol name. [ Mark the start of a character class. Remove the special meaning of the next character in the pattern. ] Mark the end of a character class. -x | --discard-all Discard all non-global symbols. -I format | --input-target=format These options are accepted, but are ignored. -K symbol | --keep-symbol=symbol Keep the symbol symbol even if it would otherwise be stripped. This option may be specified multiple times. -N symbol | --strip-symbol=symbol Remove the symbol symbol even if it would otherwise have been kept. This option may be specified multiple times. -O format | --output-target=format Set the output file format to format. For the full list of supported formats, please see the documentation for function elftc_bfd_find_target(3). -R sectionname | --remove-section=sectionname Remove the section named by the argument sectionname. This option may be specified multiple times. -V | --version Print a version identifier and exit. -X | --discard-locals Remove compiler-generated local symbols. DIAGNOSTICS
The strip utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
ar(1), elfcopy(1), ld(1), mcs(1), elf(3), elftc_bfd_find_target(3), fnmatch(3) BSD
September 17, 2011 BSD