Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix/Linux on Windows
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix/Linux on Windows Post 302092699 by reborg on Wednesday 11th of October 2006 09:50:10 PM
Old 10-11-2006
Use samba to share a common area on your linux filesystem and mount it as a mapped drive in windows.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Windows vs Unix/Linux

Hello is it possible to have Both Windows AND Unix and even mabey Windows AND Unix AND Linux on 1 machine?? GŪ33Tz:confused: (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: justin45
7 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Windows vs Unix/Linux 2

This subject was brought up a short while ago. The question someone asked was is it possible to have Windows, Unix and Linux on one machine. It is possible to have a dual boot machine and it is possible to run Linux under windows and windows under linux. It is better to run Windows under Linux... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacx2
10 Replies

3. IP Networking

Can see my linux box from unix but from windows based

I have a company lan, we have workstations and we have servers. I have 3 unix servers, and 2 linux servers. I can ping one of the linux servers from windows, but the other one gets no reply, However, from my unix boxes i can telnet AND ping both linux boxes. The 2 linux boxes are on different... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kymberm
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Migrating fom windows to UNIX/Linux

Does anyone have any links where i can find informaton about migrating from windows to unix/linux? Itīs both servers and clients that is on discussion. /Henke (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: henke
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Windows-Unix/Linux

I want to have some document or any link which will give me the difference between Windows Based servers and Unix based servers. Also the power of the operating systems. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ktmjamal
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX/LINUX vs. WINDOWS?

OKay, I'm a complete dummy when it comes to Unix/Linux. I was under that impression that it's just like Windows, but not windows? I'm sure I sound like a moron. First of all, I hate windows but I'm so very much a pc user. I'm not all that in love with Macs so, Mr.Gates seems like my only... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: spaceshiporion
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execute script on Unix/Linux from Windows

Hello ALL, Does anyone know how I can execute a script on Unix or Linux? Details: This execution needs to start from Windows and I need to pass some parameters to the script. If anyone knows how to execute, please, let me know. Please, send me an example how it is possible. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: brbillyh
4 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Running MS-windows GUI from unix/linux

Hi i need some help , i would like to run a GUI application on windows from unix i dont need to see the gui just to activate it from remote . it shoud be from CLI on the unix . thanks GUY (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: koreng
1 Replies

9. Linux

how i can share the file between unix or linux in windows ??

hello everybody i have one quetion :( about how i can share my file in windows to use it in linux explane i have to opreating system windows xp and linux fedore core and unix ( sun solaris 10 ) and i want to open me file that is storege in windows <<< want to open it in unix or... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: msn22
4 Replies

10. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

UNIX/Linux for Windows? and a few other questions...

1) I want UNIX but I don't want to partition my hard drive. I have heard of programs that allow you to start UNIX from Windows but I don't know which one is good. Something like WinLinux (not too sure???) Anyone know which programs I'm talking about? 2) Is Linux UNIX? 3) How do you pronounce... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: CornNuts
9 Replies
SWITCH_ROOT(8)						       System Administration						    SWITCH_ROOT(8)

NAME
switch_root - switch to another filesystem as the root of the mount tree SYNOPSIS
switch_root [-hV] switch_root newroot init [arg...] DESCRIPTION
switch_root moves already mounted /proc, /dev, /sys and /run to newroot and makes newroot the new root filesystem and starts init process. WARNING: switch_root removes recursively all files and directories on the current root filesystem. OPTIONS
-h, --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. RETURN VALUE
switch_root returns 0 on success and 1 on failure. NOTES
switch_root will fail to function if newroot is not the root of a mount. If you want to switch root into a directory that does not meet this requirement then you can first use a bind-mounting trick to turn any directory into a mount point: mount --bind $DIR $DIR SEE ALSO
chroot(2), init(8), mkinitrd(8), mount(8) AUTHORS
Peter Jones <pjones@redhat.com> Jeremy Katz <katzj@redhat.com> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> AVAILABILITY
The switch_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2009 SWITCH_ROOT(8)