Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Relocating directory /export/home to a bigger filesystem Post 302092648 by RTM on Wednesday 11th of October 2006 10:52:52 AM
Old 10-11-2006
First off, you don't use ufsdump/ufsrestore - your filesystem is controlled by Volume Manager - all you need to do is grow the filesystem - see the man page for vxresize or vxassist.

From Sunsolve:

Quote:
To resize a UFS (grow only) or VXFS file system using Volume Manager 3.x/4.x,
you can use the vxresize command via the command line. This command will grow a
file system AND its underlying volume.

Here is an example of the vxresize command in its basic syntax:

# vxresize -g diskgroup_name volume_name new_length

To determine the amount of space available for a resize, you can use the
vxassist command:

# vxassist -g diskgroup_name maxgrow volume_name

The new_length can be specified as either the total volume length, or as an
addition or subtraction to the current size:

# vxresize -g diskgroup_name volume_name +additional_space

You can also use this command to specify which disks to use for the resize:
To find the space available on these disks:

# vxassist -g diskgroup_name maxgrow volume_name disk01 disk02

# vxresize -g diskgroup_name volume_name new_length disk01 disk02

For additional restrictions on the use of this command please reference the
Veritas Volume Manager Administration guide for the version you are running.

For information on resizing a file system by the CLI for Volume Manager < 3.0,
see Infodoc ID 14881.
man page for vxresize

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with /export/home

I'm having a problem with my /export/home directory. A few of my users are getting superblock problems when they try to save files. what's something I can do to fix the problem? I'm running Solaris 7 on an Intel so no Open Boot Prom... any help would be great. thanks.. ,AP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anthony
2 Replies

2. Solaris

need script for locked and unused user accounts in /export/home directory

Hi all, i have to need one script: 1. it will capture the unused user accounts in /export/home directory. 2. it will capture the locked user accounts in /export/home directory. Note: locked accounts will show in /etc/passwd like /bin/false --> (instead of ksh it will show false) the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: krishna176
1 Replies

3. Solaris

automountd [24] : Mount of /export/home problem

Hi Guys, Thanks for taking the time to read the problem i having outlined below: Before i go into the problem can you please tell me what the following means? a. "dt" stands for and what does it means? Configuration Below: 1x Unix Server 2x Unix Terminals (both systems are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlee
3 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

NFS export filesystem with several partitions

I want to export the file system which consist of several partition. For example I export / and there are /home, /usr partitions. On client side I can see all files in /, but /home and /usr are empty. So far I failed to find the way to make other partitions visible in one mount. :confused: Of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fmtu2005
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/export/home question

please could someone explain what is /export/home used for ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venhart
1 Replies

6. Solaris

How do I export a zfs filesystem that I created?

I created a zpool and two ZFS volumes in OpenSolaris. I would like both ZFS volumes to be exportable. However, I don't know how to set that up. These are the steps I did: 1) Create the zpool using raidz1 across five disks. I have six disks and created a zpool across 5 of them. c4t0d0... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sqa777
3 Replies

7. Solaris

A query regarding /export/home in Solaris

Friends, I am new to Solaris, but familiar with Linux. Could you throw some light on the need for /export/home directory in Solaris. In Linux, the default home directory for a normal user is /home/<username>. If domain concept is implemented, then the /home directory of server will be mounted... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saagar
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Quotas on /export/home

Hello all, I am trying to set quotas on /export/home filesystem for some of our users on a Solaris Zone I know that you would be redirecting me to some of the documentation pages, but I have already done that. The /export/home on the Zone is a Veritas FS and I cannot see an entry for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
4 Replies

9. Solaris

how to change /export/home/user dir to /home /user in solaris

Hi all i am using solaris 10, i am creating user with useradd -d/home/user -m -s /bin/sh user user is created with in the following path /export/home/user (auto mount) i need the user to be created like this (/home as default home directory ) useradd -d /home/user -m -s /bin/sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
2 Replies

10. HP-UX

directory space bigger than lvol?

hi everybody, i know my question is maybe stupid, but see this sr597:#/ipos# du -ks 6994419 . sr597:#/ipos# bdf . Filesystem kbytes used avail %used Mounted on /dev/vg00/lvol3 2097152 482448 1602192 23% / if i do du-ks its about 7gb, but it supposed due to the next... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: pabloli150
0 Replies
vxvmconvert(1M) 														   vxvmconvert(1M)

NAME
vxvmconvert - convert LVM volume groups to VxVM disk groups SYNOPSIS
vxvmconvert DESCRIPTION
vxvmconvert is a menu-driven program to convert an HP Logical Volume Manger (LVM) configuration to a Veritas Volume Manager configuration. This man page is a brief overview of vxvmconvert. Refer to the Veritas Volume Manager Migration Guide for a detailed description before using the conversion procedure. The vxvmconvert script is interactive and prompts you for responses, supplying defaults where appropriate. There is a Help facility at every prompt. Enter a question mark (?) at a prompt to display a context-sensitive help message. With vxvmconvert you can identify LVM volume groups, list disks, analyze volume groups for conversion and complete the conversion of LVM volume groups to VxVM disk groups. LVM configurations are converted at the volume group level. All disks used in a volume group are converted together. You cannot use vxvm- convert to convert unused LVM disks (those not part of an LVM volume group) to VxVM disks. To convert unused LVM disks, use pvremove to take the disk out of LVM control, then initialize the disk for VxVM use by using vxdiskadm (see pvremove(1M) and vxdiskadm(1M) for more information). vxvmconvert changes disks within LVM volume groups to VxVM disks by replacing the areas of the disks used for LVM configuration information and with the equivalent VxVM volume configuration information. Portions of the disks used for user data, such as file systems and data- bases, are not affected by the conversion. The conversion process changes the names by which your system refers to the logical storage, so must be done offline. No applications can access data in the volume groups undergoing conversion. You must unmount file systems using those volumes and shut down any applications, such as databases, that might use the volumes directly. OPERATIONS
Analyze LVM Volume Groups for Conversion Use this operation to analyze one or more LVM volume groups for conversion to use by VxVM. The analysis checks for problems that can prevent the conversion from completing successfully. It calculates the space required to add volume group disks to a Volume Manager disk group. More than one volume group may be entered at the prompt. A grep-like pattern may be used to select multiple volume groups. See the ``Limitations in Conversion'' section in the Volume Manager Migration Guide for more information. Convert LVM Volume Groups to VxVM Converts one or more LVM volume groups to one or more VxVM disk groups. This adds the disks to a VxVM disk group and replaces existing LVM volumes with VxVM volumes. vxvmconvert prompts you to name the VxVM disk group that replaces the LVM volume group being converted. A default is suggested at the prompt. For example, if you are converting a volume group vg08, vxvmconvert renames it as dg08. See to the sections ``Dealing with New Logical Volume Names'' and ``Tailoring your VxVM Configuration'' in the Volume Manager Migration Guide for more information. Rollback from VxVM to LVM Rollback reverts VxVM disk groups to LVM volume groups. vxvmconvert provides a limited snapshot capability for the LVM metadata in a converted volume group. A snapshot is a simple protection method to use during conversion. Caution! Do not use this operation if the VxVM disk group was modified since the conversion. See to the section ``Restoring LVM Volume Groups and Disaster Recovery'' in the Volume Manager Migration Guide for more informa- tion. List Disk Information Displays information about the disks on a system. You can obtain detailed information about a disk by entering a specific disk device address. List LVM Volume Group Information Listvg displays a list of LVM volume groups. You can obtain detailed information about an LVM volume group at a specific disk device address. SEE ALSO
pvremove(1M), vgcfgbackup(1M), vgrestore(1M), vxdisk(1M), vxdiskadd(1M), vxdiskadm(1M), vxintro(1M) Veritas Volume Manager Migration Guide VxVM 5.0.31.1 24 Mar 2008 vxvmconvert(1M)