Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: bourne shell or korn shell?
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers bourne shell or korn shell? Post 302091991 by Hitori on Friday 6th of October 2006 02:34:57 AM
Old 10-06-2006
Use at the first line of the korn script
#!/bin/ksh

and then you can run this script from sh

Last edited by Hitori; 10-06-2006 at 03:43 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a file and replace a value- Bourne and Korn shell

Hello, I have a file called Delete and within the delete file I have the following statement: delete from employee where employee_id = " " how do I write a script that read from this file and replace: employee_id = " " with employee_id is null Please assist...greatly... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenix
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

KORN Shell - Spawn new shell with commands

I want to be able to run a script on one server, that will spawn another shell which runs some commands on another server.. I have seen some code that may help - but I cant get it working as below: spawn /usr/bin/ksh send "telnet x <port_no>\r" expect "Enter command: " send "LOGIN:x:x;... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert from korn shell to normal shell with this code?

well i have this code here..and it works fine in kornshell.. #!/bin/ksh home=c:/..../ input=$1 sed '1,3d' $input > $1.out line="" cat $1.out | while read a do line="$line $a" done echo $line > $1 rm $1.out however...now i want it just in normal sh mode..how to convert this?... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevercalz
21 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

C shell & Bourne Shell

Hi Guys, My first post and simple one at that .. Really rusty with this shell scripting..\ I have a script called .. j.sh I am calling > j.sh LOG_PATH $BLMBRGDATA/blmbrg.properties where j.sh is grep $1 $2 | cut -d',' -f2 . $BLMBRGDATA is set to a directory path. why do i get :- $... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jsm66
3 Replies

5. AIX

tsh shell to korn shell

i got stuck in IBM AIX unix and i was googling for the answer. but i didn't find one. can anyone tell me how to get back from tsh# shell to korn shell my system is showing tsh shell in the terminal but i am unable to get back to korn shell. i tried chsh, shell, su, logout, exit commands but not 1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: arifkhan
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

what are some different commands in c shell and korn shell??

I am doing this simple script using c shell and korn shell. The commands I use are fgrep , ls, and also some redirecting. Is there any difference in using both of these commands in c shell and korn shell? Thanks and sorry for the stupid question. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: EquinoX
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

I need to understand the differences between the bash shell and the Bourne shell

I do not claim to be an expert, but I have done things with scripts that whole teams of folks have said can not be done. Of course they should have said we do not have the intestinal fortitude to git-r-done. I have been using UNIX actually HPUX since 1992. Unfortunately my old computer died and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: awk_sed_hello
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to activate Korn Shell functionnalities in Bourne Shell

Hi All I have writing a Korn Shell script to execute it on many of our servers. But some servers don't have Korn Shell installed, they use Borne Shell. Some operations like calculation don't work : cat ${file1} | tail -$((${num1}-${num2})) > ${file2} Is it possible to activate Korn Shell... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bourne shell & Korn shell

Could some one tell me the difference btw Bourne shell and the Kshell? Which is more flexible and reliable in terms of portability and efficiency. When i type the following command .. $ echo $SHELL yields me /bin/sh Does this tells me that I am in Bourne shell. If yes, how can i get... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobby1015
6 Replies

10. Cybersecurity

'Shell Shock' vulnerability in Bourne shell

A severe vulnerability was discovered in Bourne shell. Just google for: bash vulnerability ... for more details. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cochise
5 Replies
exit(1)                                                            User Commands                                                           exit(1)

NAME
exit, return, goto - shell built-in functions to enable the execution of the shell to advance beyond its sequence of steps SYNOPSIS
sh exit [n] return [n] csh exit [ ( expr )] goto label ksh *exit [n] *return [n] DESCRIPTION
sh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. If n is omitted the exit status is that of the last command executed (an EOF will also cause the shell to exit.) return causes a function to exit with the return value specified by n. If n is omitted, the return status is that of the last command exe- cuted. csh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit, either with the value of the status variable or with the value specified by the expression expr. The goto built-in uses a specified label as a search string amongst commands. The shell rewinds its input as much as possible and searches for a line of the form label: possibly preceded by space or tab characters. Execution continues after the indicated line. It is an error to jump to a label that occurs between a while or for built-in command and its corresponding end. ksh exit will cause the calling shell or shell script to exit with the exit status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the exit status is that of the last command executed. When exit occurs when executing a trap, the last command refers to the command that executed before the trap was invoked. An end-of-file will also cause the shell to exit except for a shell which has the ignoreeof option (See set below) turned on. return causes a shell function or '.' script to return to the invoking script with the return status specified by n. The value will be the least significant 8 bits of the specified status. If n is omitted then the return status is that of the last command executed. If return is invoked while not in a function or a '.' script, then it is the same as an exit. On this man page, ksh(1) commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
break(1), csh(1), ksh(1), sh(1), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 exit(1)