Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How do I establish a remote CDE or JDS session on Solaris 10? Post 302091675 by ultra0384 on Wednesday 4th of October 2006 12:16:08 PM
Old 10-04-2006
Still Nothin...

Well I tried the command like you said, but had no luck with it. The Apple X11 terminal is a XFree86 terminal that runs within the GUI named "Quartz" of the MacOS. After executing the comand from the X terminal, a executable icon appears in the dock named Xquartz, and the following is displayed on the X terminal:

halley-clarks-ibook-g4:~ halley_clark$ X :1 -query 192.168.1.253

XFree86 Version 4.4.0 / X Window System
(protocol Version 11, revision 0, vendor release 6600)
_XSERVTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root
[DRI] screen 0 installation complete
Screen 0 added: 1024x768 @ (0,0)
error opening security policy file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!

Fatal server error:
XDMCP fatal error: Session failed Session 6 failed for display 192.168.2.1:1: Cannot open display

OsVendorFatalError
AbortDDX
Quitting XDarwin...

Now looking at this where it ways XDMCP fatal error, I'm assuming whats going on is the session cannot be established, possibly something on the Solaris-maybe a difference from 9 and 10?

Also, 192.168.1.253 is the location of the server behind my NAT server.

I have tried both addresses with the same results.

I seemed to go further with just the Xsession through ssh. It would connect and display the "starting CDE" screen, only in the wrong color and with wrong fonts, and it just stays there. But I dont know enough about how X works and how to use it to figure out why.

Now also I would like to ask what a good book on X would be. I am new to X, but I am not new to Unix and I have many animal books. I first started with Linux, but then moved on to some work with AIX, and then Solaris 7 (!) and irix (uggh!) and FreeBSD and now the freeBSD based MacOS (yay!). But all of my skills I have gained strictly through a CLI. I have had very little experience with window systems on unix because I have always used SSH or RSH to work with a machine.

ps-you are welcome to try and connect to the machine with you solris 9 machine.

the username and password are in the top thread.

thank you very much for your help!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

remote CDE

Is there a way to connect to CDE remotely? Preferably using 'VNC'. I'd like to do this! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: satinet
4 Replies

2. AIX

No Keyboard in CDE session

Hi, AIX 5.3 , no Graphical adapter no Keyboard..... I set up CDE to start without graphical boot, dtlogin process is running, when start a xserver from Cygwin to access this box. I can't login, because I have no Keyboard. The Mouse works fine, but when I try to type in the username or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hookerxy
1 Replies

3. Solaris

CDE Remote Login is not Working !!!

Hi , I have SunBlade 150 Workstation (Solaris 9), I installed the OS again then when I try to login to any server using ( Options > Remote Login > Enter Host Name) after I entered any host name nothing happened just white page for 2 or 3 mintues then the login screen reseted to the local... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adel8483
4 Replies

4. Solaris

I am not able to login in gnome session and java session in Sun solaris 9& 10

I am not able to login in gnome session and java session in Sun solaris 9& 10 respectively through xmanager as a nis user, I am able to login in common desktop , but gnome session its not allowing , when I have given login credentials, its coming back to login screen, what shoul I do to allow nis... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Not able to login through JDS but able to login through CDE

Dear All I am in a strange situation where I have install the Solaris 10 5/08 OS on Netra 1280 server. When I connect it through my laptop so that I can take the GUI from xmanager. When I try to login as root or any other users also through Java Destop Environment which accepted it after few... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: girish.batra
3 Replies

6. HP-UX

Can not login to CDE -- only Fail Safe Session permitted

Hi, I am a hobbyist with a very old machine I have been trying to get up and running. I have an HP 9000/C240 with 1G of RAM and 3-8.5G HD. It is configured with 1G SWAP/DUMP. Currently only one drive is in use via LVM. I have not gotten around to creating more volumes just yet. It is running... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dirk_
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Xserver connect and run CDE session from Windows PC

Hope someone can help. I have 5 Unix Tru64 ver 4.0/5.1B, boxes and I'm trying to connect and run CDE session from my PC. I have tried using Reflections, and Xming with no luck. Can someone tell me what exactly needs to be running on the Tru64 boxes in order for this to work. Along with what or how... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Troberts50
4 Replies

8. HP-UX

Start SAM in TUI from CDE session

how can i start sam in TUI mode from a CDE session. i'm using hp-ux 11iv3 i tried to start SAM from a terminal from CDE session but each time i try to start it System Managment Homepage starts , so i telneted to server from a pc to start sam in TUI mode is there any other way to set my SAM to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@foorsa.biz
2 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

How to migrate Solaris 10 CDE config to HP-UX CDE.

Hello, Do you guys by any chance know what is the best (if any ) way to move CDE configuration from a SOLARIS 10 machine to HP-UX? Just the config (actions, text files etc). Thanks in advance! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: binary0x01
0 Replies

10. HP-UX

Canīt get a remote desktop login through CDE

Hi all, I canīt get a remote desktop login through CDE only with root user. There are messages in the Xerror file: /usr/bin/X11/xset: bad font path element (#0), possible causes are: Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions Directory missing fonts.dir Incorrect font... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: the0m3n
5 Replies
update-fonts-alias(8)					      System Manager's Manual					     update-fonts-alias(8)

NAME
       update-fonts-alias - compile fonts.alias files

SYNOPSIS
       update-fonts-alias [OPTION] directory ...

DESCRIPTION
       update-fonts-alias  assembles  a  fonts.alias  file  in	an  X  font  directory	using  one  or more alias files found in a subdirectory of
       /etc/X11/fonts/.  It is typically invoked only from the post-installation and post-removal scripts of a package containing X Window  System
       fonts  that  provide  aliases  for  their XLFD names, but may be invoked at any time to reconstruct fonts.alias files.  For each directory,
       which  is  simply  the  last  component	of  its  path  (such  as   '75dpi'   or   'misc'),   update-fonts-alias   will	 assemble   either
       /usr/lib/X11/fonts/directory/fonts.alias  or  /usr/share/fonts/X11/directory/fonts.alias  from  the  files  found  in /etc/X11/fonts/direc-
       tory/package.alias.

This enables multiple packages to provide aliases for fonts in the same directory.  No font package actually provides the fonts.alias  file
       in the X font directory itself, so there is no danger of overwriting one package's aliases with those of another.

For   instance,	 the   two   packages	'xfonts-base'	and   'xfonts-base-transcoded'	 may   both   install  fonts  into  the  directory
       /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc.     They    each    place    their    fonts.alias    files    in     /etc/X11/fonts/misc/xfonts-base.alias     and
       /etc/X11/fonts/misc/xfonts-base-transcoded.alias  (respectively).   update-fonts-alias  concatenates these two files (as well as any others
       that match /etc/X11/fonts/misc/*.alias) into /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.alias.

The format of fonts.alias files is described in the mkfontdir(1x) manual page.

An example of how to use update-fonts-alias in package maintainer scripts is provided in the Debian Policy Manual.

OPTIONS
       -h, --help displays a brief usage message and exits.

OPERANDS
       update-fonts-alias takes one or more X font directory names to operate on as operands.  Only the final path component of the directory name
       should be specified; e.g.,
	      update-fonts-alias 75dpi
       is correct, while 'update-fonts-alias /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi' and 'update-fonts-alias /usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi' are not.

ENVIRONMENT
       COLUMNS
	      indicates  the width of the terminal device in character cells.  This value is used for formatting diagnostic messages.  If not set,
	      the terminal is queried using stty(1) to determine its width.  If that fails, a value of '80' is assumed.

DIAGNOSTICS
   Errors
       usage error: one or more font directories must be provided
	      update-fonts-alias was invoked without operands.	Supply one or more X font directory names to operate on.

usage error: unrecognized option
	      update-fonts-alias was invoked with an unrecognized option argument.  Use only the options documented in "OPTIONS", above.

fatal error: path to X font directory must be used
	      A directory name was supplied that was not an X font directory name.  Supply X font directory names only.

Warnings
       warning: absolute path directory was provided
	      Usage of absolute paths is deprecated.  Use only the final component of the X font directory name for directory.

warning: directory does not exist or is not a directory
	      The supplied directory was invalid.  update-fonts-alias skipped it.

EXIT STATUS
       0      update-fonts-alias ran successfully.

1      update-fonts-alias experienced a fatal error; see the section on diagnostic messages above.

2      update-fonts-alias was invoked with invalid arguments.

BUGS
       See the Debian Bug Tracking System <http://bugs.debian.org/xfonts-utils>.  If you wish to report a bug in  update-fonts-alias,  please  see
       /usr/share/doc/debian/bug-reporting.txt or the reportbug(1) command.

AUTHOR
       update-fonts-alias was written by Branden Robinson.

SEE ALSO
       mkfontdir(1x)

Debian Project							    2004-11-11						     update-fonts-alias(8)