Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Creating symbolic link
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Creating symbolic link Post 302090828 by charbel on Wednesday 27th of September 2006 03:12:18 PM
Old 09-27-2006
how about if i want to add a new user and give him just the same privlege as the root?....i know i am asking too much but i want to get the principle behind all this....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

symbolic Link

question abt symbolic link ... i'm doing the following ... ln -s x.sh ./scripts/y.sh and cat ./scripts/y.sh it is giving following error cat: cannot open y.sh Any reason u an think of ? But it is working fine when i goto scripts directory and cretae the symbolic link. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bhargav
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic Link Confusion

I have just tried to make my first shortcut aka symbolic link. I entered this command: ln -s /one/two/three/four/help/admin admindirectory to make a link called 'admindirectory' that would take me to: /one/two/three/four/help/admin It seems to have created a directory called... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sepia
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need some info about symbolic link and hard link

hello folks how y'all doin well i have some questions about symbolic link and hard link hope some one answer me i open terminal and join as root and i wrote ln -s blah blah then i wrote ls i see red file called blah blah but didn't understand what is this can some one explain and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: detective linux
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

tar the symbolic link

Hi Experts!! Can anyone help me out to know how can we tar the symbolic links. I would need to find the symbolic links present in the directory and then tar them out. I can find the links by find . -type l, but i need to know how to tar the symboilc link. Any help would be much appreciated.. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ganga.dharan
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

symbolic link

Hi, i am trying to create sym links on sles 11 , but it seems i am doing something wrong. oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> pwd /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS oracle@tests:/u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS> ln -s /db/ACIS/dbase/dbf/ /u01/app/oracle/oradata/ACIS/... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tonijel
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Symbolic Link Help

Hello All, This may be a silly question to some but I am really stuck. Is there a way to reverse the following; sudo rm /bin/sh sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh It was part of a driver compile/installation procedure by Digi for Ubuntu stating that dash isn't supported and a symbolic link... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LAVco
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Odd while Creating Symbolic Link

Hi, # mkdir usr3 # ls -l /h/uxossolbld10/0/teamcity/agent total 8 drwxrwxr-x 14 test1 rdl 512 Nov 30 02:54 conf drwxrwxr-x 3 test1 rdl 512 Jun 24 14:21 scripts drwxrwxr-x 10 test1 rdl 512 Jun 3 2011 teamcity drwxrwxr-x 4 test1 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Divakar
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ls on a symbolic link

Hi all, Can anyone please confirm if the command below is the only way that I can get what the symbolic link is set to? mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$: ls -l | grep "^l" lrwxrwxrwx 1 oracle dba 28 Aug 9 2011 bdump -> diag/rdbms/posp1/posp1/trace mnlxd110(oracle)/db/posd2/dba$:... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Symbolic link not allowed or link target not accessible

Hi everybody, I read about treads realted to this issue but they did not resovle issue given below. Please help me resolve issue given below I have html file under /srv/www/htdocs/actual_folder ls actual_folder/ test.html and following link works... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbielgn
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Symbolic link

Hi, trying to understand more about symblic link, when I compiled a program called "match" in one folder ~/downloadsoftware/I want this program to be accessible like a system command by putting a symbolic link in /usr/bin/ Not by setting the $PATH method in .bashrc at this time. What I did is:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies
UPDATE-XMLCATALOG(8)						     xml-core						      UPDATE-XMLCATALOG(8)

NAME
update-xmlcatalog - maintain XML catalog files SYNOPSIS
update-xmlcatalog --add --root --package package --type type --id id update-xmlcatalog --del --root --package package --type type --id id update-xmlcatalog --add --package package --local local --type type --id id update-xmlcatalog --del --package package --local local --type type --id id update-xmlcatalog --add --local local --file file --type type --id id update-xmlcatalog --del --local local --file file --type type --id id update-xmlcatalog --help DESCRIPTION
update-xmlcatalog add entries to and removes entries from the root XML catalog file, a package XML catalog file or a local XML catalog file. OPTIONS
--add Adds the entry to the root XML catalog file, a package XML catalog file or a local XML catalog file. If the XML catalog file does not exist yet, it is automatically created. --del Deletes the entry from the root XML catalog file, the package XML catalog file or the local XML catalog file. A resulting empty XML catalog is not automatically deleted from the filesystem. --file file Indicates a local filename. --id id Indicates the XML catalog file entry identifier. --local local Indicates a local XML catalog file. --package package Indicates a package XML catalog file. --root Indicates the root XML catalog file. --type type Indicates the XML catalog file entry type (public, system, uri). --help Displays the usage information. NOTES
update-xmlcatalog is the de-facto standard tool to be used to maintain XML catalog files on a Debian system, similar to that update-catalog(8) is the standard tool to be used to main SGML catalog files on a Debian system. A Debian XML Policy document to this effect is currently under development. update-xmlcatalog and xmlcatalog(1) are incompatible. The former has an internal database of all the entries in all the XML catalog files it maintains and regenerates the indicated XML catalog file completely from scratch upon an update. The latter updates the indicated XML catalog file directly. This means that any change made to an XML catalog file using xmlcatalog(1) is overwritten the next time that XML catalog file is updated using update-xmlcatalog. SEE ALSO
/usr/share/doc/xml-core/README.Debian AUTHOR
Ardo van Rangelrooij <ardo@debian.org> perl v5.14.2 2008-10-14 UPDATE-XMLCATALOG(8)