Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers UNIX newbie NEWBIE question! Post 302088752 by Hanamachi on Thursday 14th of September 2006 09:45:26 AM
Old 09-14-2006
Smilie
thanks going to try it now!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie question about unix flavours

Hi, I am newbie to unix. I am been immensily impressed by this forum. I have installed sun solaris in my pc and started learning unix. The question is, If i know one unix flavour (say sun solaris) is that i can claim, i know all the unix and linux flavours. Can i be able to work on other vendor... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Balaji
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newbie question

hi im thinking of getting unix but i have no idea where to start I know that its an OS similar to linux but what hardware does in run on? i've heard of solaris but im not quit sure what it is thankxs (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninja
3 Replies

3. Programming

Unix/Linux Newbie(ish) Question - IPC/Signals

:) Hello, i have been given the following code to help me learn how to use signals, it won't compile. The problem maybe because this was written for use in Unix and i am trying to compile in Linux. The error i get says that SIGPIPE and SIG_IGN are undeclared. I think that these are defined... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: theultimatechuf
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie question

Hello, I have text file while looks this test1 test2 test3 test4 test5 test6 and if I want to parse it and make new file which would like this test1 test2 test3 test4 test5 test6 How can I do this in korn shell script Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: peeyush_23
9 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very new newbie question

sorry if im not asking inthe right spot but, how do you turn the beeping off every time you hit a key onthe keyboard. I tried the click -n but it told me it didnt recognize click any help would be greatly appreciated ( the beeping is not going over well in the surrounding cubicles) thank you... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Split100
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie's question about COBOL Installation in Unix

I wanna to install a COBOL on the AIX unix server. Would u like to tell me the disk usage of COBOL installation? Thanks in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GCTEII
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

newbie question

hey all, I have repeatedly seen scripts containing the following syntax, grep "hello" $myfile >> $log 2>&1 can anyone explain exactly what "2>&1" mean? THANK YOU (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpang_
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newbie question

I am taking a db classes toward oracle 10g. I am taking unix as well . I need to know what is the best option for os . should I use linux fedora. or get a sun box and start learning from there. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xzyan
6 Replies

9. HP-UX

Question form unix newbie

hi, just starting to learn about unix in school. got stuck on shell script chapter and need some help i completed task one but the other four is byond me. Task 1) Write a shell script/program called dow that takes no arguments and displays just the current day of the week in lower case (i.e.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wesleywu
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie (question 2)

Hello everyone, I am having to do a lot of perl scripting these days and I am learning a lot. I have this problem I want to move files from a folder and all its sub folders to one parent folder, they are all .gz files.. there is folder1\folder2\*.gz and there are about 50 folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xytiz
1 Replies
install-solaris(1M)													       install-solaris(1M)

NAME
install-solaris - install the Solaris operating system SYNOPSIS
install-solaris install-solaris invokes the Solaris Install program. Depending on graphical capability and available memory at the time of invocation, install-solaris invokes either a text-based installer or a graphical installer. The following minimum requirements for physical memory dictate which features are available during installation: For SPARC machines: 128 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 128 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 384 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation For x86 machines: 256 MB Minimum physical memory for all installation types 256 MB Minimum physical memory required for windowing system 512 MB Minimum physical memory required for graphical-based installation In some cases, even if the minimum physical memory is present, available virtual memory after system startup can limit the number of fea- tures available. install-solaris exists only on the Solaris installation media (CD or DVD) and should be invoked only from there. Refer to the for more details. install-solaris allows installation of the operating system onto any standalone system. install-solaris loads the software available on the installation media. Refer to the for disk space requirements. Refer to the for more information on the various menus and selections. See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcdrom (Solaris instal- | | |lation media) | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ pkginfo(1), install(1M), pkgadd(1M), attributes(5) It is advisable to exit install-solaris by means of the exit options in the install-solaris menus. 23 Sep 2005 install-solaris(1M)