Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Dynamic Menu Help
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Dynamic Menu Help Post 302087262 by Glenn Arndt on Wednesday 30th of August 2006 04:47:52 PM
Old 08-30-2006
I don't know exactly how your script is intended to work, but I wrote an example script to demonstrate traversing hierarchical menu choices. Maybe it will help (no guarantees that you can't break the script; it makes assumptions).
Code:
#!/usr/bin/ksh
# The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog

set -A animalname "fox" "dog"
set -A foxadject "quiet brown" "quick brown" "lazy brown" "quick red" "red slow"
set -A dogadject "slow" "quiet" "sleeping" "lazy" "brown"
set -A action "jump" "run" "skip" "hop" "roll"

until [[ -n $animal && -n $foxadj && -n $dogadj ]]
 do
  clear
  choice=1
  print "\nPlease select an animal.\n"
  select animal in ${animalname[*]}
   do
    choice=2
    print "\nPlease select a description for the $animal.\n"
    case $animal in
      fox)
        select foxadj in "${foxadject[@]}"
         do
          break $choice
        done
        ;;
      dog)
        select dogadj in "${dogadject[@]}"
         do
          break $choice
        done
        ;;
    esac
    break $choice
  done
done

until [[ -n $verb ]]
 do
  print "\nPlease select an action.\n"
  select verb in "${action[@]}"
   do
    break
  done
done

print "\nThe $foxadj fox ${verb}s over the $dogadj dog.\n"

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Dynamic select with multiple word menu items

Hello all, I'm developing a deployment script at work and at one point it would need to display something like this: Which version of ADMIN would you like to deploy? 1) 1.0.0 (store1, 10 Jan 2004) 2) 1.0.1 (store1, 20 Jun 2004) 3) 1.0.2 (store1, 15 Jul 2004) Select a version : I know... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: domivv
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

dynamic Select menu

Hi all is menu driven by SELECT can be a dynamic ? My requirement is that i want SELECT to be created on run time not predefine . The select should be created as per the no of words in a file thanks in advance rawat (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rawatds
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sql dynamic table / dynamic inserts

I have a file that reads File (X.txt) Contents of record 1: rdrDESTINATION_ADDRESS (String) "91 971502573813" rdrDESTINATION_IMSI (String) "000000000000000" rdrORIGINATING_ADDRESS (String) "d0 movies" rdrORIGINATING_IMSI (String) "000000000000000" rdrTRAFFIC_EVENT_TIME... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: magedfawzy
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning values to reference variables for a dynamic menu driven script.

How do I assign values to reference variables? I am assigning a variable name to --> $user_var Then I am trying to change its underlying variable value by $((user_var))=$user_value .. its failing,, Please let me know if there is a way to do this dynamically.. FileA.props... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kchinnam
5 Replies

5. Web Development

Dynamic Drop Down Menu

I need to create a dynamic drop down menu which is populated by entries such as; htdocs/client1/index.php htdocs/client2/index.php htdocs/client3/index.php htdocs/client4/index.php etc. So htdocs/client*/index.php Is this possible? I know how to do this using normal arrays, but not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JayC89
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help in create menu with 3 sub menu using the case command

hi all i am a newbie to this is there any examples on creating a main menu with 3 sub menu main menu -> option a , b and c a menu -> option 1 ,2 and 3 b menu -> option 1 ,2 c menu -> option 1 ,2 i am getting headache as my code kept getting unexpected EOF ---------- Post... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercm
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dynamic menu selection? Help..

Hi guys, i would like to create a program that allow user to show the information of certain thing such as network card. I would like the menu to be dynamic, for example: my computer system have 2 network card inserted at the moment, therefore the menu will have 2 choice for the user. eth0... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: malfolozy
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Building a dynamic UNIX menu with input files

Hi! I am looking to build dynamic menu (named: lookup.sh) that reads a pipe delimited file for input. for example, contents of input.txt could be: user1|srv1 user3|srv1 user4|srv1 user2|srv2 I want the menu look like: 1) get password for user1 on srv1 2) get password for user3 on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpolikowsky
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Gnome 3.28.3 menu item dissapears under the system menu

I installed CentOS 8 with Gnome 3.28.2 and I noticed that the "switch user" menu item disappeared from under the system menu of Gnome classic (Both X11 & Wayland). I checked google and this problem seems to have a history going back several releases of Gnome. Unfortunately, I never found a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bodisha
1 Replies
HASH_HMAC_FILE(3)							 1							 HASH_HMAC_FILE(3)

hash_hmac_file - Generate a keyed hash value using the HMAC method and the contents of a given file

SYNOPSIS
string hash_hmac_file (string $algo, string $filename, string $key, [bool $raw_output = false]) DESCRIPTION
PARAMETERS
o $algo - Name of selected hashing algorithm (i.e. "md5", "sha256", "haval160,4", etc..) See hash_algos(3) for a list of supported algo- rithms. o $filename - URL describing location of file to be hashed; Supports fopen wrappers. o $key - Shared secret key used for generating the HMAC variant of the message digest. o $raw_output - When set to TRUE, outputs raw binary data. FALSE outputs lowercase hexits. RETURN VALUES
Returns a string containing the calculated message digest as lowercase hexits unless $raw_output is set to true in which case the raw binary representation of the message digest is returned. EXAMPLES
Example #1 hash_hmac_file(3) example <?php /* Create a file to calculate hash of */ file_put_contents('example.txt', 'The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.'); echo hash_hmac_file('md5', 'example.txt', 'secret'); ?> The above example will output: 7eb2b5c37443418fc77c136dd20e859c SEE ALSO
hash_algos(3), hash_hmac(3), hash_file(3). PHP Documentation Group HASH_HMAC_FILE(3)